Precursors - ongoing report

Don't know... Still enjoying it a lot. Just made it through space (bit confusing, with a number of things to do) to planet 2. Just got my dinosaur mount... having a blast so far...

Same here. It was difficult to get into at first, but now that I'm starting to understand the game it's really growing on me. I don't have Wesp's translation because I'm not going to buy the Russian version of the game to just get a better translation. The one they did is good enough. It's better than Prince of Qin at least and I understand what they are saying. It's just they say it in an odd way sometimes.

I've encountered that dang sound problem a few times. The only way to fix it is to quit and reload. That normally fixes it.

I'm still on the first planet and just figured out I could take that helicopter thing for a spin. It was awesome right up until the point I crashed :D This game definiatly has a GTA vibe to it. I find myself searching for new buggies when mine starts to smoke, just like I do with GTA.

The amount of quests are mind boggling and not really that unique, but the way they play out can sometimes be interesting. There are all kinds of quests like the usual fetch quest, find my son, or go there and kill that person/thing. For example a guys wife wanted me to go save him from the desert and when I got there he told me to get lost he's trying to hire some bandits as body guards. I tell him his wife sent me and he just says she worries too much and should go home. Not exactly what I expected when I got there :) Almost everyone on this planet has something interesting to say (although they say it in really broken English ;)).

Oh one thing that annoyed me at first were the perks. Not enough of them (I thought), but when you take into consideration the amount of weapons this game has and the mods for each type of weapon then there is still a lot of character customization that can go on. Plus, I just found my first hidden perk. Got it from a scientist who asked me to get some claws. When I returned I was granted a hidden perk. Now I can skin the animals I kill. That was a huge surprise since I don't have a manual. I'm learning this thing as I go and it keeps throwing in little surprises like that one.

One question, has any figured out how the hell you repair armor/guns? I know how to repair my vehicle, but for the life of me I can't find anyone who will repair my dang armor. When it reaches 0 I just throw it away and buy a new one.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this game. More so than I dared hope. To all these dang American devs who keep releasing 4 - 8 hour FPS all I have to say is "SUCK IT!! RUSSIA RULES!!!" First the Ukraine's Stalker and now this. FPS plus RPG should be done a hell of a lot more.

FPS plus RPG should be done a hell of a lot more.

Agreed. One would think that Deus Ex 10 years ago would have set the wheels in motion for more "FPS plus RPG" genre-mixing games, but it wasn't to be (with a few rare exceptions). At least we get the occasional FPS/RPG like Precursors, which is nice because sometimes it's enjoyable to play an RPG that is different from the typical fantasy themes and gameplay. It's just too bad that it's so rare to find a game like Precursors that is a shooter but still has plenty of depth and some role-playing elements.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this game. More so than I dared hope. To all these dang American devs who keep releasing 4 - 8 hour FPS all I have to say is "SUCK IT!! RUSSIA RULES!!!" First the Ukraine's Stalker and now this. FPS plus RPG should be done a hell of a lot more.

And I`m happy that this is how it`s looking so far...

Just imagine if Bioware...OK, I did enjoy first Mass Effect a lot, but mostly because of how slick it was and how it looked on my(then) 32"LCD. Also because I was starved of sci-fi games. Innovation was nonexistent and it was hardly open...ok you had the galaxy, but in reality it was only a map , with a lil bit of terrain. And then they went and get rid of it altogether :(

I'm guessing he's talking about that small craft in the spaceport. It's sort of shaped like a helicopter, but without the rotors.

That would be the one JDR. I never knew you could get into it until after I was sent to the docks to take the shuttle somewhere. Then when I got back I saw that helicopter thing just sitting there and thought I'd see if I could give her a spin around the planet ;)

It has rotors though. Two of them inside the wings instead of on the outside.

Did it seem to automatically crash as soon as you went beyond the walls of the spaceport? I could never get further than that.

That's where I crashed, but I was trying to get closer to the ground and hit the dirt nose first. Haven't tried it again. Been too busy with the million and one quests. Everywhere I go someone has something for me to do. I'm even going to the grocery store to pick up some pears and paste some wanted posters around the desert. Gotta love these quests. :)

Ok, first get Russian audio from here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y9AC6BQZ
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PMNALDJX

QUOTE (badmofo @ 08 January 2011, 22:45) *
I had to split the archive coz of the 1GB upload maximum, I use WinRAR to decompress.

Copy both files included into your 'Precursors\packages' directory (Note that there's also a file called main.fat included, that is required too or you'll get errors)

I've tried it and it works fine, all of the ambient sounds can be heard again and it makes a huge difference. Hopefully it fixes the bug outs people have been experiencing.

This will fix bug with audio dropouts, that happen with English version, plus make game more enjoyable since there will be voiceovers for all dialogs (in Russian), instead of silence.

But, since that also converts cutscenes to Russain, and they have no subtitles, story will be difficult to follow.

So, you also need this to override Russian voice-overs in cutscenes with those from English version:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UN4SUOH7

Just unpack to game folder. It will make new SOUNDS folder with English cutscene voices.

In here is the complete how- to sound fix for the game. Don't forget the cutscenes

Wow, what a difference! There are PA. announcers on the station now and Russian voiced dialogues(think Nehrim only they were German)
Skaven, you never have to reload to fix the sound anymore

okay, so there are some audio issues but what I want to know is the game stable. Is it more stable than Fallout Vegas? Which either crashed my machine or the game just about every play session. I can deal with a few sound problems (which appear to have a patch), but computer game crashes are so 1980's.

It's less stable than Fallout: NV on my computer, but unlike most of you I had absolutely no problem with FNV crashing or all of the bugs from hell.

I've had two issues with it. One it would lag….not freeze where the game would stop working…..but just stop moving. If I wait it will start up again or if it is taking a long time I hit alt-tab, then go back to the game and it's fine.

I have had one total crash. Didn't even go to the BSOD. Just froze and then my computer restarted. That only happened once and those other freezes don't happen that often. It's mostly the sound issue that has been annoying, but I'll give redman's solution a try and see if that fixes her up.

Thanks, Redman.

Hmm I should probably go back to this game and finish it for some reason probably that i finally got Alpha Protocol I got sidetracked.

A small advice for people visiting the forest planet don´t leave any of your stuff on your bird/dinosaur mount at least for me they always disappeared whenever i left them for a while

And finally for people visiting the third planet another one. Save before purloining the large hover-tank and taking it for a joyride it is quite fun to drive but the odds are that you will drive over or through most people you meet and for some reason that makes all of their factions mad at you

M

Great, the last megaupload with the enlgish cutscene voices does not work.

It's been completely stable for me, sometimes a bit laggy. My mount never just disappeared, although I did lose access to saddlebags on one who was shot.

I'd be interested in trying that English cutscene file but that link is dead…

I went back to Goldin to find this aircraft people were talking about and found that they are actually coming and going, landing at the spaceport at various times. So I stole one and went for a cruise. If only I'd known - those Grow wouldn't have been so scary then :) I loved the way they smack your buggy around with proper physics - I take it they can't reach the aircraft...

I've read this in NFOHump:
peter980 said:
Interesting finds on Deep Shadows forums:

New ATI postprocessing fix for Precursors (also fixes flashligh flickering):
http://board.deep-shadows.com/index.php?showtopic=1641

Similar ATI postprocessing fix, compatible with Xenus2:
http://board.deep-shadows.com/index.php?showtopic=1543

Converting Precursors to Russian audio (fixes sound bug, makes game better):
http://board.deep-shadows.com/index.php?showtopic=1568&st=80&start=80

Converting Xenus2 to Russian audio:
http://board.deep-shadows.com/index.php?showtopic=1595

Ongoing project to remake Precursors English cutscenes with better actors:
http://board.deep-shadows.com/index.php?showtopic=1645

Thanks, I'll try that flicker fix..

Otherwise I seem to have hit a bug where my ship can't be repaired. They take my money but don't fix the damage. This means I can't get past the space missions I'm on... Anyone seen this?

And it's over! A super abrupt ending, on top of a garbled final mission. That's a shame - it leaves a bad impression, when actually playing was a great time.

I'll have to withdraw my mental vote for it as GOTY, given that they seem to have omitted about the final third :)

Back
Top Bottom