Banished - Medieval City Builder

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
If your a fan of city building games you might be interested in a game called Banished . It's a one man project that was developed by a man called Luke Hodorowic. You can buy the game on Steam on February 18th, 2014. Here is a video and some game details.

In this city-building strategy game, you control a group of exiled travelers who decide to restart their lives in a new land. They have only the clothes on their backs and a cart filled with supplies from their homeland.

The townspeople of Banished are your primary resource. They are born, grow older, work, have children of their own, and eventually die. Keeping them healthy, happy, and well-fed are essential to making your town grow. Building new homes is not enough—there must be enough people to move in and have families of their own.

Banished has no skill trees. Any structure can be built at any time, provided that your people have collected the resources to do so. There is no money. Instead, your hard-earned resources can be bartered away with the arrival of trade vessels. These merchants are the key to adding livestock and annual crops to the townspeople’s diet; however, their lengthy trade route comes with the risk of bringing illnesses from abroad.

There are twenty different occupations that the people in the city can perform from farming, hunting, and blacksmithing, to mining, teaching, and healing. No single strategy will succeed for every town. Some resources may be more scarce from one map to the next. The player can choose to replant forests, mine for iron, and quarry for rock, but all these choices require setting aside space into which you cannot expand.

The success or failure of a town depends on the appropriate management of risks and resources.
Here is the games webpage- http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/

Last edited:
So nobody is interested? Twenty six views and not a single reply. Hopefully it turns out to be a decent city building game. They are in short supply these days.:disappointed:

It looks like it has a lot of detail for a one-man job, but it's just not the kind of game I'd like to play…
I understand so don't feel bad if it's not the type of game you'd like to play. I didn't believe one man made the game at first either till I watched his videos, and read a few posts on his blog.
Well I'm interested at least. Seems to be a bit of a resurgence in builder types, if not outright city builders coming.
I don't see that many outside of those cheap budget titles that are a dime a dozen lately. I still play a bunch of the older games from Impressions Games.

Last edited:
I'm interested, just didn't say anything! :)

Game looks cool. I like the artistic style and it seems like an interesting game to play. I haven't looked into it yet, but I hope there are enough obstacles to keep it interesting. Brigand raids, wildfires, droughts, wild beasts attacking, etc. Just stuff to keep you on your toes.

If you're interested in builders I can think of a few others, though not released yet.

Gnomoria - really good imo. Lacks the depth of Dwarf Fortress but has a GUI and mouse support
Prison Architect - Gets better with every added feature

Maia - Looks promising, haven't tried it
Castle Story - Heard the Alpha is kinda buggy and obviously feature sparse but might be worth watching
Folk Tale - Also early and feature sparse but the plans sound great if they can deliver
Spacebase DF-9 - In the same boat as the last 2

Kickstarter successes in development
Stone Hearth
Rimworld

Astrobase Command's KS failed but their last update said they're still going to make it happen.

And while not really builders, Forsaken Fortress, Roam, and Kenshi have building elements.

Very impressive game considering it is made by one person. I prefer RPGs, but I do also like games set in the medieval era. If the price is right, I could see my self picking up this game.

I been following this game since it was announced, it's mostly likely day one purchase for me.

For quality city builders nothing really came close to Anno for me.Anno 1404 is my favorite but last Anno 2070 is also very good

Nameless One stated already the reason why I'm skipping this. Anno series is something that spoiled me completely and just can't go lower any more. Sorry.

I've already wishlisted it on Steam so I can keep an eye on it. :)
It looks interesting, but I definitely will wait until I see some reviews.

For quality city builders nothing really came close to Anno for me.Anno 1404 is my favorite but last Anno 2070 is also very good

Well, I think it definitely has that Anno vibe going for it, though. It reminds me of the 1602 one, which had me hooked for a while back in the day. Great game.

I been following this game since it was announced, it's mostly likely day one purchase for me.

Anno 1404 was good and I still play it occasionally. As for Anno 2070 I still play it, but lets just say I don't like it as much.
Nameless One stated already the reason why I'm skipping this. Anno series is something that spoiled me completely and just can't go lower any more. Sorry.
Your loss then as they say. I enjoy them them all, but it varies with every game.^^

Last edited:
Just noticed it too. I'm going to wait on some reviews before diving on though.
Also, the installer is only 89 mb big? o_O

Weird that is really small game especially very good graphic for one man indie.
I am also in no hurry to buy it, I will finish Eschalon book 3 before jumping to this, by than there will be some reviews and impressions.

200,000 views in one day. Easy to understand why the developper sent a free copy of the game to this channel.
You cant simply bypass people who do 200,000 views in one day.
Game format is not adapted to a quick 30 minutes video.
And the tester did not like much this kind of games and it felt through the video.
Nevertheless, the video is enough to see that the game world in this game ticks quite well. It was enough to convince.

So I am bringing to you a person who must be called these days what he is: an internet legend. Tom.IO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeVi8Xj5V9s&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PLC51F5EF3FA6D258A

As to me, on the game for the moment:

-fully a city builder
-(very) high production quality
-game UI is well thought and must be played with the shortcuts
-Game is easy on default mode (contrary to the first video claims) if you are used to this type of games and are ready to developp a city at the pace imposed by its population.

About gameplay: so it is a game aiming to bring the experience of settlers in the same way as the american land theft period.

You are supposed to start harshly relying on your own strengths to slowly open to the exterior you will depend on more and more.

It follows that path, at start, you'll eat the surrounding land to saturate it more and more and in the end, the city will thrive through trading with the exterior only.
From self reliance to an export colony.

On default mode though, the developpment is very linear, no set backs.

The game comes with a wide range of productions (technology is limited) but at the moment, it is hard to see the differences between various productions.

They probably serve to better survive but on the difficulty default mode, survival pressure is extremelly low.

That is a game that might come with solid gameplay but must be tested thoroughly on the highest difficulty mode to see if all the options mean in the gameplay or if they are only cosmetics.

Back
Top Bottom