Wasteland 2 - Kickstarter Passes 500k

Dhruin

SasqWatch
InXile's Kickstarter has just passed $500k. I won't keep highlighting the numbers - apart from major milestones - but over half way in a day is worth mentioning.
If you haven't pledged - give it some thought. While I think this will send a message to publishers, I don't think they'll be listening - they're too focused on blockbusters. I do, however, think this holds enormous potential for encouraging developers to try alternative methods and attempt those 'B' games that are mostly no longer made. Don't think about your $15 just buying a copy of Wasteland 2 - think of it as inspiration for those games that might now get made.
More information.

I saw that and I really hope it reaches 1,5 million before April 17th, as that figure seems to be Brian Fargo's unofficial "let's get even more serious about this" threshold. From reading the Kickstarter description there's a real sense that anything above the required 900K gets us more cool stuff in the game…

You make some good points there Dhruin; all of which have the potential to raise my hope meter to almost intolerable levels. ;)

For instance, if Wasteland 2 is succesful enough at catering to the old-school crowd and follows through with its party-based and turn based combat model,
I'd love to see Fargo and Co. attempt a real Bard's Tale 4 in that same tradition, even though I know it's unlikely to ever happen. I know there's an online petition for it somewhere though, so you never know!
But let's just enjoy watching this kickstarter project flourish for now eh? Who knows what the consequences of success (or failure...) might be.

This is so awesome. I hope it turns out to be everything I hope it can be. Can I be a part of your Wasteland team Inexile? I have no experience in the video game field, but have a graduate degree (with a bachelor's in literature) and am artistic and creative. A sequel to the game that inspired Fallout, with the perspectives and mechanics of the games from my glory days in video gaming (Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, Icewind Dale)...with modern visuals and maybe more voice to go along with the text?

So much potential here. I pledged money when I saw they had started. I hope they make boatloads to make the game as big as possible.

I assume you also have to pay for shipping if you pledge enough for the boxed edition?

I assume you also have to pay for shipping if you pledge enough for the boxed edition?

$15 for international shipping - see the FAQ

Impressive how quickly this went up!

Only if you are outside the US. In the FAQ, it says to please add $15 to your pledge (above the minimum for the reward level you selected, I guess) if you are outside the US.

I am astonished that they have 4 (of 8) 10k backers. I am also unfamiliar with Kickstarter, is this pledge vetted or guaranteed in some way? I am assuming it's not just some kid clicking buttons.

Basically you pay through Amazon which then reserve the amount you pledged. If the Kickstarter is successful your payment will go through when the Kickstarter ends. Kinda like a pre-order. You can alter your pledge amount at any time or you can even cancel it. The latter is of course discouraged.

[Edit] Dhurin beat me to it :)

I'm glad to see those numbers, it seems that Wasteland 2 will see the light :).
I also appreciate this kickstarter model, if only more projects were financed with this method probably we'd see more quality games…

What the hell, I made a pledge for the message. Though I would hate instead of sending the message that I want old school RPGs (but honestly, not as old as 1988!) to send the message that I will blindly pay for the promise of a game as long as it carries the name of an old classic. I just wish they'd have followed Double Fine's approach by simply promising an old school RPG instead of letting it be known straight away that it's a Wasteland sequel.

I don't have a credit card but I have a debit card I use so it's not a problem for me but I'm still not sure since I didn't really like Wasteland.

I would have also support them if they had alternative payment options.
I queried inXile and got a reply: Steam will not be mandatory and they will be exploring other DD options. Woohoo! (this is important to me at least)

Don't think about your $15 just buying a copy of Wasteland 2 - think of it as inspiration for those games that might now get made.
I think of the $15 as purchasing a copy of Wasteland. You make it sound like that's some sort of consolation prize.

Thats good news screeg!

Btw, just imagine if the project gets more funding and attention what this game could become - the Fallout 3 we never got!

Back
Top Bottom