BioWare - Latest Game: Command & Conquer Generals 2

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Not even vaguely RPG-related but we've tracked BioWare for the better part of 10 years, so we'll cover this latest announcement this once before moving on.
As promised, the latest "BioWare" game has been revealed at the VGAs: Command & Conquer Generals 2 - you can watch the debut trailer at Gametrailers. The development comes from a studio called Victory Games - freshly re-named BioWare Victory, so this isn't a BioWare-developed game beyond the new label - though RPG fans might be interested to know Jon Van Canegham (New World Computing, Might & Magic) heads up BioWare Victory.
Presumably EA thinks the BioWare label will add credence (or they think the RPG and RTS genres should be grouped together).
More information.

I know why they put Jon Van Canegham as the head of Victory and that is because they don't know the difference between a game like King's Bounty or Heroes of Might & Magic and and RTS like Command & Conquer. It would be better if they put him in control of making their RPG's and then maybe (if they game him enough control) they would actually release some good RPG's again.

EA reminds me of a headless chicken, aimlessly running around.

Bioware might be a brand name, sure. But only for role playing games. ( or games that are marketed as RPGs at least. ) Who's going to buy a RTS C&C title because it's labeled under Bioware's name anyway? I have this feeling that worldwide, C&C is a more well-know name than Bioware. Some totally non-gamers I know are familiar with this franchise and played at least one game from it. ( Mostly the original Generals. ) So it's kinda weird they use Bioware's name to promote the game.

Who's going to buy a RTS C&C title because it's labeled under Bioware's name anyway?

Blind fanboys. Especially the younger members of the flock who don't know what they want in a game to begin with.

The only good part about this is Jon Van Canegham's attachment… but, honestly, what the hell is he doing in a C&C game?! This is all becoming one big cliche` EA joke.

Bioware might be a brand name, sure. But only for role playing games. ( or games that are marketed as RPGs at least. ) Who's going to buy a RTS C&C title because it's labeled under Bioware's name anyway? I have this feeling that worldwide, C&C is a more well-know name than Bioware. Some totally non-gamers I know are familiar with this franchise and played at least one game from it. ( Mostly the original Generals. ) So it's kinda weird they use Bioware's name to promote the game.

Because Dragon Age and Mass Effect are better known than C&C, as is Baldur's Gate and Knight of the Old Republic. So suddenly you have the RTS name recognition from C&C, the RPG element of past Bioware games, and ... profit?

EA reminds me of a headless chicken, aimlessly running around.

It's not. I'm unsure if it's EA's doing or Bioware decided solely, but it seems that with each new move Bioware is more and more sucking up to players on aged consoles.
Good luck to them.

Today "Bioware" is what EA uses as less bad name

I would not be suprised that very soon they announce that EA is changing name to Bioware

Last edited:
Today "Bioware" is what EA uses as less bad name

I would not be suprised that very soon they announce that EA is changing name to Bioware

More like a shared name, like Activision-Blizzard, so that would make it
EA-Bioware.

Well, Riticello (sp?) used to be the head of Biowares co-op with Pandemic (through the fund Elevation Partners).

With companies like EA it seems entirely up to management what happens to a studios name. At one point they like 'individual' studio names (Westwood Studios, Bullfrog etc.). The next moment every studio is rebranded into EA Whatever. Now with Bioware it seems they are going for an in-between. Instead of renaming acquired studios "EA Whatever", it's gonna be "Bioware Whatever".

That is untill a change of management happens and the new management gets different ideas in their heads.

It. Is. Not. Sports. It. Is. Not. Shooter. It. Must. Be. A. Role. Playing. Game. With. Statistics. Do. Not. The. Little. Tank. Things. Have. Statistics? Why. Yes. They. Do. So. We. Must. Group. It. With. The. Other. Role. Playing. Games. Yes. We. Must.

Also: http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20111207

More like a shared name, like Activision-Blizzard, so that would make it
EA-Bioware.

Well, Riticello (sp?) used to be the head of Biowares co-op with Pandemic (through the fund Elevation Partners).

With companies like EA it seems entirely up to management what happens to a studios name. At one point they like 'individual' studio names (Westwood Studios, Bullfrog etc.). The next moment every studio is rebranded into EA Whatever. Now with Bioware it seems they are going for an in-between. Instead of renaming acquired studios "EA Whatever", it's gonna be "Bioware Whatever".

That is untill a change of management happens and the new management gets different ideas in their heads.

They are not going to use EA anymore. Thats the point.

EA became associated with BAD

Bioware, people not following gaming , dont even know where and what they are now. They only remember the good things done when Bioware was independent canadian studio

Just using the name 'bioware' got the game posted on this site for free. EA score.

I'll copy what I said on the other topic.

They basically just renamed Victory Games as Bioware (we've know for a while they would be handling C&C), and presented their work as a Bioware game. That is just dumb. I just don't get the logic. I can somewhat see the logic behind making Bioware a RPG Brand (hence Bioware Mythic and such)… but C&C does not belong there.

That say while I'm not presuming anything about Victory Games' quality (it's lead by Jon Van Caneghem after all), I'm totally uninteressed - I hate C&C Generals.

-Sergorn

After what EA did to Origin and Westwood nobody here should be shocked or surprised by what is happening to Bioware.

But nothing is "happening" to the Bioware itself - they're just using the Bioware label everywhere against all logic.

-Sergorn

But nothing is "happening" to the Bioware itself - they're just using the Bioware label everywhere against all logic.

-Sergorn

If you think "nothing is happening to Bioware itself " ... you haven't been following the last several years ...

Back
Top Bottom