Bethesda - Launches Bethesda.net

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Oh boy, Bethesda programmers could bring down the whole global communication network with this. :p

Oh boy, Bethesda programmers could bring down the whole global communication network with this.
Well when every game requires a different online client we'll see who's joking then. As it stands right now I'm tired of Steam games requiring multiple accounts to play.:shakefist:

Wonder how obtuse and oblivious Bethesda will be when it comes to moderating piracy and harassment once the inevitable paid mods "feature" gets pushed live. Considering how complacent they seem with... well, everything, my hopes aren't high.

Wonder how obtuse and oblivious Bethesda will be when it comes to moderating piracy and harassment once the inevitable paid mods "feature" gets pushed live.
Well I predicted this would happen when Bethesda.net was announced.:disappointed:

They like to make it worse for their paying customers. I only played thru M&M X once because of that crappy client I had to download. Isn't Steam enough?

They like to make it worse for their paying customers. I only played thru M&M X once because of that crappy client I had to download. Isn't Steam enough?
Well its weird how Origin is easier to use then Uplay, but I prefer not to use both. At least Steam will warn you on the storefront if it requires multiple DRM services to play.

I don't think it's steam/origin/uplay competition. Feels more like those battle.net and rockstar social club useless MMO oriented idiocies.

It's just the Corporate Bean Counters trying to push the notion that it's cheaper to create your own platform rather than give Steam 30%. But they fail to figure in the lost sales due to people not wanting to bother with yet another download client. I know I've certainly purchased far fewer HoMM titles from Ubisoft due to Uplay than I would have otherwise.

<insert personal rant regarding Bethesda apologists gobbling up anything Bethesda does regardless of quality and bean counters having the last laugh>

Well this had the nice effect of screwing up the single Fallout 4 mod I used over the weekend. Just becasue I want dead bodies to glow, achievements are disabled.

Thanks Bethesda for nothing…

Doesn't really bother me. I don't see why Valve/Steam should have the worldwide exclusive rights to digital distribution.
I can fully understand if other parties want a piece of the action, too, and not share 30% of every purchase with GabeN.

Sure, a unified sort of client would be convenient and maybe the big publishers will get together one day to create one but until then... welcome to the party, Bethesda!

Oh well... you got to look at the bright side. When reinstalling your PC these days, you barely ever need to download drivers anymore because Windows will come with everything working out of the box. So instead of installing drivers, we now get to install game clients... *shrug*... no big deal to me. Win some, lose some :) .
Downloading and installing Battle.net, GOG, Origin, RSC, Steam, uPlay and probably Bethesda.net in the future is going to take all of ten, maybe fifteen minutes max or so. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this minuscule increase in PC gaming maintenance ;) .

Drithius must be possessed by the spirit of Luj. :p
But on the bright side, this brings us one step closer to the doom of Bethesda. Drinks are on me when it happens!

Oh well… you got to look at the bright side. When reinstalling your PC these days, you barely ever need to download drivers anymore because Windows will come with everything working out of the box. So instead of installing drivers, we now get to install game clients… *shrug*… no big deal to me. Win some, lose some

You're truly comparing hardware drivers to clients that sit in the background, eat up system resources, and potentially communicate your computer's statistics?

As a person who turns off automatic Windows Updates and manually selects what they install, I certainly won't be installing a client other than Steam. While I agree that Steam shouldn't hold a monopoly on digital distribution, I will not support this ridiculous, ever-increasing, mutually exclusive litany of alternatives being proffered by company after company.

But they fail to figure in the lost sales due to people not wanting to bother with yet another download client.

I think most gamers don't care.

Pibbur who wonders if at the moment we really know anything about this, beyond speculation????

I think most gamers don't care.

Pibbur
Maybe but a percentage of gamers do.;)

Just read the videos comment section and the Bethesda forums.

Maybe but a percentage of gameras do.;)

Just read the videos comment section and the Bethesda forums.

Some will no doubt not buy it. How many - hard to know. But out of the millions (?) who bought skyrim or FO4 for the PC, a tiny, tiny, tiny fraction post on forums. So that doesn't say much, really. I think lost sales due to this will be insignificamt.

Pibbur

Last edited:
Agreed. We are in the minority to the mainstream crowd these devs now cater to. In fact, they care more about their console customers than the PC customers anyway.

Agreed. We are in the minority to the mainstream crowd these devs now cater to. In fact, they care more about their console customers than the PC customers anyway.
Well who can blame them as all the suits see is that the majority of sales are on consoles. I recall reading the various links in this forum about the subject before.

I'll just end my reply by saying I will crack this service out of every game they release in the future. As every online client has been cracked even Blizzard's Battle.net.

IMO the impact on sales and on Bethesda will depend on how Bethesda implements this and on Bethesda.net restrictions.

Compare EA Origins. A privacy violating client plus it was implemented as an exclusive sales operation that essentially eliminated competition. EA games became available at full price only. And as a result of that I have not bought an EA game since and do not expect to buy any EA games in the future period. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

I bought Fallout 4 and the DLC season pass, each, at a 50% discount as a result of a competitive marketplace. I will not buy any more Bethesda games if Bethesda eliminates the competitive marketplace. And I'm sure I'm not alone. If Bethesda implements this thing wrong their days of 10 million plus sales could well be a thing of the past.

Time will tell (as it always does).

__

Back
Top Bottom