What are you reading?

Gemmell's one of my favorite authors. I've been saving the two Troy books since I've read almost his entire catalog now and didn't want to get to "the end of the line" too quickly.

There are 4 more books to finish all of Gemmell's writings.It is sad that he died so soon....

I am reading George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series - very good.

Good, but it got depressing and the Real world's depressing enough without getting depressed when reading!! Like movies, when I come out of a film, or finish reading a book, I want to feel better than before the beginning!! That's why it's called entertainment!! :)

Finished that Stiglitz book. I'm continuing my exploration of political economics: picked up two more of his books (Globalization And Its Discontents and The Roaring Nineties), as well as Peddling Prosperity by Paul Krugman. And to complete my bearded-lefty collection, Failed States by Noam Chomsky.

I finished Sinuhe, egyptiern/Sinuhe, egyptiläinen/The Egyptian by Mika Waltari yesterday. Very interesting book with quite intriguing themes. Not something to read if you want an optimistic read about humanity, though. ;)

After that I picked up The Decipherment of Linear B by John Chadwick, about the discovery and decipherment of the Mycenaean written language.

For a few weeks I've been reading through Ivar Lo-Johansson's autobiography (a series of 8 books) which gives interesting insights into the life and mores of the yearly 20th century Sweden (for someone born in the late 20th century Sweden, at least).

Last edited:
Yeah, The Egyptian is definitely one of those "might as well kill yourself now, it'll save time later" kinds of books -- but it really makes the ancient world come alive; Kaptah with his dung-beetle, Nefernefernefer and her machinations, Minea, Horemheb, Eje... It's hard to believe that Waltari never once visited Egypt or the Middle East. I should read it again one of these days...

After that I picked up The Decipherment of Linear B by John Chadwick, about the discovery and decipherment of the Mycenaean written language.

Sounds interesting. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm still reading *the* Treasure Island, by the way.

One of the books everyone knows, but people seldom read.

I read Underground and Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Both good books. I haven't read Norwegian Wood...how is it so far?

Some of my self help books from various threads came yesterday, so I'm now swimming in erudition. My husband snatched the Krugman book(Peddling Prosperity) so last night I started Islam:A Short History by Karen Armstrong.

It is indeed very clear and readable, and puts Prime Junta's remark about
...one thing that seriously skews our perceptions and policies in the Middle East is that we (Westerners) have a really deep-seated, almost built-in craving for resolution...The Middle East just doesn't work like that. Things just go on and on and on, for centuries or even thousands of years.
into perspective. (Sorry Prime J, I really like that quote.)
Only a few chapters along as yet, but I have to say I'm amazed at the disputation level amongst the early believers, although I probably shouldn't be. I seem to recall similar stuff about the early Christians....not to mention the Old Testament. The other book of hers I found on sale was The Great Transformation:The Beginning of our Religious Traditions, which apparently talks about these three belief systems in relation to each other, which should shed some light on that.

Obviously been eating too many beans!! :)

I have just finished up Gone with the wind,great book.

I dont know about the book, but I sure did love the movie version.

I'm reading "Born of evil, born to woe" now. The sequel to "Jewel of Tamar" (ppl who were interested in Tsujatha mod would know) ;)

Just bought Iain M. Banks's newest -- Matter. About one and a half chapters in; seems promising enough so far.

Finished it. Not bad, solid Iain M. Banks/Culture fare, compleat with galaxy-spanning engineering marvels from aeons past, various layers of Involved interfering with each other and less developed species, drones, knife missiles, even an Orbital making a cameo appearance. Nowhere near as confusing as The Use Of Weapons, despite what he said about it.

I'd rank this in the top quarter of his books -- not as good as The Use Of Weapons, The Player of Games, or The Algebraist, but better than Look To Windward, Against A Dark Background, or Feersum Endjinn.

Sounds interesting. I was thinking about getting around to Feersum Endjinn next, but may now alter my Banks lineup to one of the others.

Midway through Anderson's Islam and Obama's Audacity---had to get some lighter input so am reading an old favorite, Frankenstein, by Mary Shelley. I'm fond of this period in literature, the Romantic movement in general and some of the early Gothic novels, but few are as readable or seem as contemporary as this one written by an eighteen year old woman whose life was both golden and bitterly challenging. Great classic. Makes Wilkie Collins look sick.

I'm kind of frazzled from reading so many political exposes, so I'm reading a Christmas gift, Michael Palin Diaries 1969 - 1979 The Python Years.

For the longest time John Cleese was my favorite Python, but that's changed after seeing all of Michael Palin's travel documentaries. He's seems such a genuinely nice person and has a real interest in people and other cultures.

I think Cleese just did so many more prominent roles post-Python--especially Fawlty Towers--that he is more visible. I'm not familiar with Palin's more recent stuff.

Oh, Michael Palin hasn't done many scripted TV shows since, but he's done a lot of these travel shows. And by the way, I still love John Cleese's stuff, especially Fawlty Towers. That is probably one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Just thinking of "Basil the Rat" and "The Germans" makes me chuckle to myself.

Back
Top Bottom