Risen 2 - Demo Available

aries100

SasqWatch
There's a demo available for Risen 2: Dark Waters at Steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/40390/
The demo allows players to experience the beginning of the game - the world is in turmoil, the Titans have devastated everything in their path with unstoppable force. Only the city of Caldera, where the headquarters of the Inquisition are located, offers a place of refuge for the people. It is repeatedly attacked by sea monsters, and supply ships are sunk en route. Nobody knows how long the walls will hold; food and weapons are gradually running out. The nameless hero sets out on a mission to put an end to the sea monsters once and for all.
Link to GameBanshee where you can read the full press release.
http://gamebanshee.com/news/108533-risen-2-dark-waters-demo-now-available.html
More information.

Awesome news. I'm surprised though. Was a demo planned? I heard nothing about it. Anyway, since i haven't bought the game yet, this willgice me a chance to try it out.

As far as I know, there was a demo even prior to the release. They have called it "beta" (lying bastards).

6.5GBs required. Are we actually installing the whole game with parts locked like was the case with the DLCs?

As far as I know, there was a demo even prior to the release. They have called it "beta" (lying bastards).

Demos are usually betas.

Doesn't Steam demos function this way? You try the demo out - and if you like it, you can buy the full game after playing the demo…
Wouldn't know if they do. Still it's risky business if the rest of the content is as easy to unlock as the DLCs were.

I'm pretty sure my install of the full game was significantly more than 6.5 GB. Still, that does sound like a lot for a demo.

I hope the demo gets more people to buy the full game though. It really is an underrated title imo.

6.5GBs required. Are we actually installing the whole game with parts locked like was the case with the DLCs?

Picking and choosing just those assets required for the demo levels would be time consuming, it's probably just the devs saving time and dumping the whole lot in whether it's required or not.

People don't balk at large downloads these days I guess, at least that's what they're counting on.

As I have limited downloads, I do balk at 6.5 GB for a demo I'm really not totally interested in. Again, I'll pass.

I'm with Corwin - I have limited downloads. I'm actually kind of sick of the underlying assumption when it's made, that we all somehow have unrestricted and unlimited downloads. It's frustrating. Some perspective on the matter is a useful thing.

That said, I'd already purchased Risen 2 a month or so back and intend to play it for the first time once the school holidays start. Really looking forward to it, actually. :)

Don't blame game makers. Blame the ISPs for limiting our bandwidth in the first place.

As I have limited downloads, I do balk at 6.5 GB for a demo I'm really not totally interested in. Again, I'll pass.

Maybe a regional problem. Internet in Germany, where DS and PB are from, isn't always fast, but it's generally unlimited. With the exception of cellphones of course.

In Sweden it is same as Germany, except it is almost always fast as well.

Most people I know have something between 10-100 mbit... but some even has 1000 mbit which is kind of ridicules to have at home, that's more than some of the companies with 1000's of employees have.

In Sweden it is same as Germany, except it is almost always fast as well.

Most people I know have something between 10-100 mbit… but some even has 1000 mbit which is kind of ridicules to have at home, that's more than some of the companies with 1000's of employees have.

Are you talking about how the service is labeled or the actual download speeds? For instance, my service is 20 MB, but my actual download speed is usually around 3MB/s which is generally considered pretty good here.

That's because it's bits vs bytes. All you need to do to find the actual download speed is divide it by 8. For example, a 1000 mbit line can download at 125 mb/sec. Theoretically. They rarely reach max speed.

Yes if you get 8 MB/s your 100mbit is actually pretty good. You can also try to start some parallel downloads, which might add up together to get close to the max.

I have a 1.5 DSL connection and I seem to average about 860kb/second. It'll take a long time to download this. I should get a better internet package, but I'm lazy :D

Thanks for the heads up! Can't wait to try it.

That's how it's labeled. I get around 4-8 MB/s with a 100mbit connection.

I have the same (fiber optic), but I get pretty close to max DL speed, around 11-12 MB/s with Steam. Origin seems to be a little faster, steady 12-13 MB/s.

100 megabits is equivalent 12.5 megabytes, which is pretty close to my Steam DL speed. Maybe I'm located close to their servers on the West Coast? I suppose the Internet connection probably fluctuates a bit above and below 100 mbps.

Incidentally, the Risen 2 demo requires 6.5GB disc space, but the download package from Steam is only 3.6GB. It took a little under 4 minutes to complete the download in my case.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom