Bethesda Softworks - Podcast #8

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The latest Bethesda podcast is on offer, which celebrates the 5th Anniversary of Oblivion:
Before we look forward to Skyrim, we first look back to Oblivion.​
Last week we marked the fifth anniversary of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion’s release. In this episode of the podcast, we revisit the game that served as a landmark for Bethesda. Listen as key team members recount their memories of working on the project, followed by a roundtable discussion with Todd Howard and Pete Hines.
More information.

landmark!

?

As in, "This is a landmark in how to hype up a game so that it sells well despite being absolutely rubbish without a couple gigs of user-made mods"

That type of landmark?

Shifting the cost of developpment onto a non interested third party sounds like good business to me.

The one thing that wasn't said but you kind of read between the lines, was that the Xbox360, with only 512k of ram, was the limiting factor to why Radiant AI and other things weren't more robust. Basically, the fact that you're limited by what would fit on one disk and load in the memory. Imagine how much better Oblivion would be, for pc gamers, if it was solely on that platform. I'm hoping that new consoles are coming out soon, so that I'm less punished for owning a real computer. It'd be nice if The Witcher 2 just blows Skyrim/Dragon Age 2 out of the water, because it's pc specific, but I think they developed it with the hope of attracting a console port, so it's probably built with those limitations too.

landmark!

?

As in, "This is a landmark in how to hype up a game so that it sells well despite being absolutely rubbish without a couple gigs of user-made mods"

That type of landmark?

Dear Hyped-Customer,

Oblivion sold millions more on unmoddable consoles than on the pc. Please take 2 seconds to think before posting. Oblivion continues to sell better on these platforms even today, 5 years after release. Release hype doesn't sell a game 5 years later.

Love,
Todd

Last edited:
Imagine how much better Oblivion would be, for pc gamers, if it was solely on that platform. I'm hoping that new consoles are coming out soon, so that I'm less punished for owning a real computer.

Both Microsoft and Sony don't have any intention of releasing a new console before 2015…

Last edited:
You make little nut cry, Azarhal :'(

Back
Top Bottom