Skyrim - Preview @ VG247

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Skyrim has been previewed in a short piece at VG247 that doesn't add anything of particular interest beyond the author's enthusiasm after a short play session at the Eurogamer Expo:
I have seen Skyrim twice in the past five months, but never hands-on. I walked away from Bethesda’s pre-E3 event in Utah back in April absolutely blown aback by what I had seen. The same could be for what I seen from gamescom last month in Cologne behind closed doors. But never hands-on.
Until today. For the first time since I first seen it in Salt Lake back in April, I went hands-on with the RPG of forever. At least that’s what it will be come November 11.
More information.

Worst preview ever? What a waste of time...

Breaking news: Skyrim ads to adorn the background imagery of vg247 throughout the month of november.

As long as Harry Potter Blu-Ray Collectors' Edition ads don't adorn the the loading screens after the first major patch. I've kind of learned to feel passive disdain for the incestuous relationship between gaming press and industry. I still feel a fresh kind of seething rage when advertisements get added to my games.

Immediately after you finish creating your character, you’re immediately thrown into the world of Skyrim itself. And I’ve said it before, but it’s worth saying again: it looks amazing. There will be no two ways about, this is a stonkingly brilliant looking game. Immediately afterwards, a Bethesda rep points me towards a bandit camp if I am interested in some “action.”

Oh wow ok. So I actually read this preview and yeah you guys are being kind. I think he was running low on his word count so he decided to turn "The game is beautiful from the moment you finish creating your character" into an entire paragraph with special emphasis on the immediacy with which it bludgeons your eyes with its beauty.

Is this what passes for journalism these days? If the name Skyrim wasn't used, you'd hardly even be able to distinguish what game he was talking about.

'I created a character, a chick, I forget the race. I walked out, Ooh pretty! I hit A and B on the controller, killed a wolf and a bandit. Walked into town. Talked to some npcs. Then some bandits killed me'

That's about the extent of the article.

I've kind of learned to feel passive disdain for the incestuous relationship between gaming press and industry. I still feel a fresh kind of seething rage when advertisements get added to my games.

I think the gaming industry would do well to have a sort of Consumer Reports style no advertising, no nonse, cut to the chase magazine or site. These mainstream gaming sites have huge conflicts of interest by accepting advertising, not to mention freebies, bonuses, invites to events etc.

They have a lot to lose but not saying all nice things about the games from the large publishers and it given the way the system is now it makes little sense for them to bite the hand the feeds them.

Back
Top Bottom