Witcher 3 - NVIDIA Demonstrates Hair FX

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
CD Project RED was at GDC 2014 and previewed the new Hair Simulation technology used in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.I mentioned the tech last year, and you all laughed at it.

WCCF has the videos and information from the conference.

Even though the RPG release was delayed to 2015, at the GDC today Balázs Török Lead Engine programmer CD Project RED gave important insights into it’s development process. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is one of the first games that relies on the GameWorks tools for programmers released by NVIDIA , particularly the Hair Works component.
More information.

It'd be great if it works, hair has been horrible in games so far...

Now we know the real reason the Witcher 3 has been delayed. :0

I didn't remember laughing on this at all.
And the word horrible is not descriptive enough to say how bad the hair currently looks in games. There are tricks to avoid messing with the whole thing (helmets, hats, hitman clones, hoodies, rags of different kind), but visible haircuts are unavoidable in some games, take Sims for example.

And it doesn't stop only on heads. Body hair (and fur) is also disastrous. For whatever reason, it always looks like a bad drawn tattoo on a stretchable naked skin.

So I'm not laughing, in fact this change feels more than welcome.

how about focusing on coherent storyline versus fluff. i know, its alot to ask.

Do you have any insider info that Witcher 3's story line is incoherent and needs fixing?

Last edited:
I certainly hope it looks better than that hair effect from AMD that they used in the latest Tomb Raider game.

The video game hair problem and the identification of a long sought solution to the problem has been hailed virtually across the board as a most important and significant breakthrough. Here's one of many articles that have appeared discussing the issue — this one attributing the solution to "the work of Princeton and the University of Southern California researchers ". The linked article also has interesting graphics, maths, and other visual and verbal explanations trying to explain the nature of the problem and the solution.

I'm really looking forward to seeing actual video game renditions demonstrating the new and more realistic video game hair — and honestly, I think the focus on this by CD Project RED says something quite positive about their emphasis on quality.

__

My wife would disagree with you Thrasher. Vehemently :)

Yes. The breakthrough. Proper hair. Hurray. Uhm... yeah. Its not things like proper VR displays, or some such nonsense. Hair is the breakthrough. And tomorrow: the next breakthrough. Proper 3d physics modeling of feces announced for Southpark: the Stick of Truth II. If it gets any more real, you'll start to smell it.

Last edited:
Well, anything that gets us closer to realistic physical appearance is a good thing, in my book. The closer we can get to displaying these characters convincingly, the better for immersion.

Not that it's terribly exciting in itself - but it's another step in the right direction.

I agree that the hair in Tomb Raider that was supposed to look realistic just didn't work very well. Here's hoping this is better.

Well, anything that gets us closer to realistic physical appearance is a good thing, in my book. The closer we can get to displaying these characters convincingly, the better for immersion.

Well said, looks like we agree on something again. :)

This tech is very nifty for sure. There's no reason to be cynical about any of this. Even if it doesn't end up in the final product, each attempt at this pushes technology forward. That is a VERY good thing.

how about focusing on coherent storyline versus fluff. i know, its alot to ask.
Are you sure you want those graphics gurus dinking around with the storyline?? ;)

I really hope all these updates don't increase the performance requirements of the finalized game...not everyone has a GTX-Titan video card, and 32 gigs of ram. (I wish though...)

Time to start considering an upgrade for this game, it seems I have the time with the release being pushed to March 2015.

Back
Top Bottom