M&M: Heroes VI - Demo Released

I hate having to rush.

To me, it's totally against my intention to play this game : Explore, explore, explore …

Generally how I am too. In HoMM 3 the ability to rush was often what seperated the good players from the ok players. I was definitely only an ok player.

Well, finished the demo and went right ahead and purchased so I get access to the beta. Who wants to wait 'til October? It feels like the whole skill system is gonna take a while to get used to, loads of skills seems kinda worthless since your can only act one time per round. In earlier incarnations of Homm most skills were passive and as such more beneficial. I guess if you have a might hero you'll just focus on passive skills and maybe just a single spell or warcy, and as a mage you'll pick one school of magic and stick with it, otherwise you'll just waste ability points.

2 hours to download the beta, guess I won't be playing anything tonight…

Most of the skills in HoMM 6 seem to have cooldowns. So even if you might think a certain skill is superior, you still need some to use in the off rounds.

With that being said, I went almost all water magic in my skirmish game, and there were a lot of abilities that I just wasn't all that impressed by. I ended up taking some abilties from other trees just because they were so much better, even with my passive +6 water magic ability.

I think you misunderstand what rushing means in HoMM games. It has nothing to do with running around killing netural troops. It has everything to do with wiping out enemy AI players as fast as possible. If your running around and leveling up and building up your town then your not rushing.

As for how they got higher level, that's easy. Their starting area has more resources, which lets them build more troops and wipe out higher level stacks and level up faster. That's why you have to rush them. If you wait to build up you will lose because they will build up faster then you.

So, they have richer area with mobs and so they don't need to rush unlike me who must rush and they are killing neutrals but I mustn't kill neutrals because I'm a newb to HoMM games... Geez. Oh and while I rush and lose my units, enemies by killing neutrals in their rich area are losing nothing. Great.

Man, I'm just saying that the skirmish in demo is badly designed. I didn't say I won't buy the game - it's demo and what I've seen in two campaign maps was enough to to make me buy the game. :)

I never quite understood why there were so many skils & spells in th game in the first place ... I felt overwhelmed.

Well when you rush them your just targeting an AI, killing their hero and taking over their castle before they have a chance to build up. It's a good strategy in any map and something any advanced player will usually aim to do. Once you've done that, the rich area that your opponent once owned is now yours. You now have a huge advantage.

Many old and popular HoMM maps were impossible to win without some degree of rushing, but not everyone is good at it or likes doing it. The map may have been a bad choice to include as their only skirmish map, but they may have wanted one that was a challenge, and which people would have to work hard to defeat. But just because you failed to beat a map on your first try doesn't necesarily mean it's badly designed.

So, they have richer area with mobs and so they don't need to rush unlike me who must rush and they are killing neutrals but I mustn't kill neutrals because I'm a newb to HoMM games… Geez. Oh and while I rush and lose my units, enemies by killing neutrals in their rich area are losing nothing. Great.

Man, I'm just saying that the skirmish in demo is badly designed. I didn't say I won't buy the game - it's demo and what I've seen in two campaign maps was enough to to make me buy the game. :)

I never quite understood why there were so many skils & spells in th game in the first place … I felt overwhelmed.

It's because there is no mage's guild any more to learn spells from, something I'm not sure I like.

Back
Top Bottom