Dragon Age: Inquisition - Discover the Dragon Age Video @ The Bioware Blog

I agree with JDR. Looks very uninspired to me, though the engine is obviously capable.

Well, lack of variety (re-used areas etc) certainly was one of the biggest issues in DA2, and that seems to have been taken care of. Of course, that doesn't mean the gameplay or writing will be brilliant.

Well, I might be naive - but even if I don't care for modern Bioware, I'm not expecting something as bad as DA2.

It's probably going to be decent on some level, but I very much doubt there's been any passion involved.

Dragon Age had plenty of flaws - but it was clear that passion had been involved.

Bioware has been creatively dead for a long time, and EA is EA. I have no idea why anyone would expect anything more than a reasonably competent game developed according to market predictions and other suit-related paradigms.

As JonNik mentioned, graphics are ok so far, but we hardly have any further information. So for me it's quite too early to make assumptions.

I don't remember if DA:O or DA2 had 18+ rating, but if they did, honestly can't see why would it be sticked in there at all.
IMO that would not be just overreacting but also overestimating the game thinking it's full of possible nokidsallowed content.

I don't remember if DA:O or DA2 had 18+ rating, but if they did, honestly can't see why would it be sticked in there at all.

It was 18+ for both games.

Perhaps it was because of all the blood-splattered armor? Otherwise, that seems a little excessive.

If graphics was the main issue with DA2 then I guess they have managed to fix that.

Not graphics broadly, but it did have a shit aesthetic. And I mean that in terms of quality and well... everything being brown and muddy with flecks of corn in it.

Video's graphics look good; sure the overall design is generic - but the environments of Dragon Age have always been thus - why would it suddenly change now?

In the end, it's just another sword & magic game with polish; what you get out of it comes down to just how frequently you've already explored such worlds, or how willing you are to go back into one for the 200th time.

You make it sound like you'd prefer it if no-one ever made another Sword and Magic game :(

I'm sure that's not what you meant though...

I never get tired of sword and magic games.

I also judge each individual games rather than developers.

DA2 sucked but if DAI is good I'll buy it.

:S I don't even like Bethesda or the ES series but even I think its a bit unnecessary to attack the visuals of an MMO when compared against a regular singleplayer game.

This.

& the graphics look great...in both games imo

It's a nice tech demo, and probably a 'confidence-building' gesture towards the fanbase. As a trailer, however, I think it's rather bad. No gameplay, no info about the game at all, mostly landscape and very little architecture, which (with one exception - the monumental entrance to what looks like an Orlesian villa or palace) looks ultra-generic (Oblivion-ish generic).

Then again, visuals were never the strong point of the Dragon Age franchise. DA2 was very disappointing in this regard; it was not even moderately varied and competent, falling below the level of even many 'B' studio CRPG's and MMORPG's. Showing off some Frostbite landscapes is nice, but apart from the visuals DA2 had a lot of other issues. Putting out some decent graphics isn't all that hard, relatively speaking, certainly not with enough time and money. It's the rest I'm more worried about.

I have watched over a dozen leaked demo videos from different game expos to know I will enjoy the game. I even attended one of them last year.

Here is a link for a gameplay video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xJMWRI-cA

There is enough information out there if you look for it. Bioware is just withholding it.^^

I have watched over a dozen leaked demo videos from different game expos to know I will enjoy the game. I even attended one of them last year.

Here is a link for a gameplay video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xJMWRI-cA

There is enough information out there if you look for it. Bioware is just withholding it.^^

Oh, I know that one alright. They repeated the same exact demo several times. It's highly 'directed', and apart from 'the return of the tactical camera' which I found to be reassuring, I'm reserving my judgment. It would be nice to see more of the game than just this 'directed' gameplay demo but then, this is usually the kind of demo vids gamers have to live with until shortly before release.

The franchise inspiration was medieval Europe, being generic is the goal here

There is a difference between medieval-inspired and generic.
Kingdome Come is pure medieval, much more than any "high fantasy" Dragon Age. Do you think that KC has generic design? :)

There is a difference between medieval-inspired and generic.
Kingdome Come is pure medieval, much more than any "high fantasy" Dragon Age. Do you think that KC has generic design? :)

Kingdom Come: Deliverance isn’t ‘medieval inspired’ though, it’s medieval through and through as it’s a historical RPG (though I get it that this is your meaning).

Examples of ‘medieval-inspired’ RPG’s would be The Witcher I and II (mainly the visuals, the setting itself is a bit more generic and has far less medieval ‘DNA’) and Mount & Blade. Chivalry, an action game, is also medieval in inspiration, though not ‘historical’ like War of the Roses.
Dragon Age is more like Amalur or the Forgotten Realms, but with the difference that some of the nations have a very loose connection with real European nations (mainly the accent, fake or not, of their inhabitants) and the fact that the map is a distorted upside down version of Europe.

Warhammer Fantasy would be an example of a setting that is a blend of generic fantasy (Orcs, Trolls, Elves, Chaos etc.), late medieval / early Renaissance central European (the Empire) and Arthurian (Bretonnia).

Amalur, the Forgotten Realms and Thedas (as well as the more generic parts of Warhammer Fantasy) derive far more from the large collection (or toolbox if you like) of ideas, concepts, terms, races, plot ideas etc. that have been used time and time again in fantasy videogames, pen & paper RPG’s, comics, movies and popular books. Some of it is ultimately medieval in inspiration, but there has been a fair bit of selection, combination and mutation going on…

Personally I think there is sometimes a confusion, even on part of the devs, between actual medieval inspiration and more 'generic' inspiration that they feel is 'medieval', though sometimes it may be hard to tell the difference.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance isn’t ‘medieval inspired’ though, it’s medieval through and through as it’s a historical RPG (though I get it that this is your meaning).

Yes, I wrote "Kingdome Come is pure medieval". My first sentence was related to DA and fantasy RPGs.

And as you said - DA isnt more "medieval inspired" than many other fantasy RPGs which also have some loose connections to medieval Europe.

——-
Im more worried about gameplay style and quality of quests than graphics or artistic style of DAI. Its clear that Bioware try to emulate Skyrim to some degree, make some hybrid of DA (preferably DA2) + Skyrim.
Do you think that DAI will be completely open world game? I have impression that it will have some big sandbox locations and main quest locations. Sandbox maps will be probably more or less bland and based on "emergent gameplay". And aside these sandbox-like maps there will be main quest locations - more linear, more scripted, used for main quest. Just my impression (maybe I missed some info about game world).

Back
Top Bottom