Obsidian Entertainment - Working on a Unique Next Generation Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Obsidian is working on a new "Unique Next Generation Game". That is according to a job listing for a level design position. Speculate away in the comment section. According to the job listing these are the requirements.
Requirements:

• Level/Area design experience on at least one AAA title.
  • Exceptional attention to detail.
  • The ability to evaluate and understand the mechanics of a game and create 3D layouts that complement the experience.
  • Proficient with a modern game editor such as Unreal 3, CryEngine3, Source or equivalent.
  • Love of computer and console role-playing and action games.
  • Excellent communication skills - you must be able to get up out of your chair and talk to your coworkers!
  • Able to adhere to tight schedules and possess the ability to assist others in meeting deadlines.
  • Skilled with Microsoft Office, level layout programs (SketchUp, Visio, etc.), bug tracking software, and source control software.
Plusses:

• Experience working on games with role playing elements.
  • Proficient with 3ds max, Maya or XSI.
  • Programming or scripting experience.
  • A playable portfolio level built in a commercial 3D game engine.
Responsibilities:

• Communicate area design requirements with art and programming teams.
  • Design 3D layouts and work with art and programming to create a unique and fun experience.
  • Design game content - quests, NPCs, items, puzzles, et al.
  • Maintain game design documentation.
More information.

really now.
if the designer worked on a AAA title, how can you ask of him to be skilled in Office and show a portfolio

Because almost anyone who can program can use office?

Sounds like a console first game to me; 720 or PS4 most likely!!

really now.
if the designer worked on a AAA title, how can you ask of him to be skilled in Office and show a portfolio

Yeah the office bit does seem a bit superflous.

I get wanting a portfolio though, particularly if they worked in a large team on a AAA title. A competent and creative Fallout NV mod you created entirely on your own along with a few other examples of work that you did on your own would be a more distilled demonstration of your abilities than what they might infer from a AAA title on which maybe 5 people shared your same job description at least.

Maintain game design documentation.

Annnnnd I'm out :p

Seriously though: documentation is the bane of all programmerkind

Heh yeah. I've never seen a project that managed to maintain up to date documentation over the years. It tends to start out good, but then it goes down hill from there.

It's just like the manual backing-up of data.

You start off adhering to a strict schedule then before you realize it, you just let it slide :p

Thankfully many back-up solutions are automated and based on a residual system so you don't have to spend too much time or effort.

My guess is it's scifi but my hope is …. some type of WoD game. Based with their own take of vampires and other creatures of the night, so no WW license is necessary. They are probably already working on some version of Fallout NV 2 and of course all the other known, knowns like South Park and PE.

I don't think it's about NV2 (although I wish it was) nor that it's about consoles (no, I don't wish that).

Perhaps they're moving to MOBA (ARTS) genre but unlike existing titles out there:
- this one won't be on Auroralike engine but will work with CryEngine3
- will have a story/quest system integrated and not just some silly and useless lore
- will remove possibility of stacking the same item on the character (in existing titles you can be naked but with 5 hats on you)
- will have an advanced character editor (currently you get predefined skill set on a hero and can't dump any of those)

Who knows it might even be another StarWars game. I remember the article were they pitched the idea to Disney.

yet another 3rd person action game for consoles, move along, nothing to see here.

Tell me they've been greenlit for another shot at an Aliens RPG!

Ok, call me naive :(

Back
Top Bottom