What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I'm not. No Franco Nero in Django role (he'll appear briefly as a bar patron).

I'm interested in another movie that for whatever reason was not in our cinemas nor will be, and in stores/rentals it's not available yet (next month will be according to amazon) - Doomsday Book:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2297164/

Total Recall
Absolutely mediocre. While the eye candy was enough to keep me watching till the end, I didn't find the rest very engaging at all.
D

The Social Network
I've never really been interested in this movie due to its subject matter, but watched it anyway on TV. I found it was great. And I still don't have the slightest interest in facebook.
A

Men in Black III
Hilarious stuff. I liked the first one; the second not so much, but the third was good again.
B

The Others
Terrific, eerie "haunted house" movie that slightly different from others (see what I did there?).
B+

Why would he be? This isn't directly connected to that Django
Really? One more reason for me not to watch it... However - it *is* connected to old Django. Not to it's "sequels" though.

, and Franco Nero is 70 years old now.
I'm aware he means nothing to you, but over here (EE) he's still a respected star.
And Helen Mirren is also 70, you saying she also shouldn't appear in Tarantino's movies because of her years?

Really? One more reason for me not to watch it… However - it *is* connected to old Django. Not to it's "sequels" though.

No, it's not. The original 1966 Django is one of the inspirations for Django Unchained, but there's no connection story-wise. If that's what you consider a reason not to see the movie, then so be it.

I'm aware he means nothing to you, but over here (EE) he's still a respected star.
And Helen Mirren is also 70, you saying she also shouldn't appear in Tarantino's movies because of her years?

Cool… but what does any of that have to do with Django Unchained?

Really? One more reason for me not to watch it… However - it *is* connected to old Django. Not to it's "sequels" though.

You just don't like making any sense at all, do you Joxer? ;)

I'm the one who doesn't make any sense?

Okay.

Well, not to me - anyway.

Good. We're one step closer to find out why I despise grinders you adore. :)

Let me fix this for you ;)

Nah... It's actually an opposite thing - that is a geography/history book - the movie is about future. Perhaps the connection is that both describe a rotten society? ;)

watched a few things lately, most was crap. Did however score w/ a movie called "the Grey" w/ Liam Neeson. Puts on a great performance as one of a band of plane crash survivors that must survive the winter, and a pack of wolves that are trying to eat them.
Great movie, we really liked it. Its on Netflix streaming, you should check it out

Skyfall

Skyfall 7.5/10

The first two thirds of the movie were fantastic. Great characters and wonderful locations. Beautifully shot, great music, etc.

But after a certain character is encountered and his plan is set into motion, the plot holes start popping up and the story goes downhill and ends up underwhelming and predictable.

That's a real shame, because if it had kept up the pace and stayed consistent - it would have been the best Bond of all time. As is, it's definitely up there with the best of them - but falls short of true greatness.

But I LOVED that it was character driven - and that they made Bond a more human character. A good and believable balance - all things considered.

I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, but I see it a bit more positive. While it's true that the film has a very strong first half and then gets weaker, I think the second half is still better than most Brosnan Bonds. Even the build-up to the showdown ( I don't want to spoil it - if you've seen it you know what I mean ) was (a) stupid from a story stand point, but (b) technically well executed, involved another well known guest star (Albert Finney) and led to an ending which was new for a Bond film. So it was at least a good implementation of a Hollywood standard.

It's worth repeating again that Skyfall is a beautiful movie. The combination of a character driven script, a director known for calm films (Sam Mendez -> American Beauty, Road to Perdition) and the cinematographer of most Coen Brothers movies (Roger Deakins) works superbly. The result is long but fast paced film with long passages without dialog, excellent camera work - unhurried and calm but at the same time dynamic. Storytelling through pictures.
No other Bond film looks so classy.

There's enough action too, which is on a smaller scale than usual because it's character driven too. What it has more than most other Bond films is suspense. There's more thrill in it than in almost every other Bond.
It's a transitional film. A couple of known characters are either introduced to the Craig line of Bonds or are prepared for retirement. Even Daniel Craig could retire after this movie, if his contract negotiations fall through. [edit: He decided to take the money and make 2 more. ;) ]
I quite like the new Q (Ben Wishaw from the interesting Perfume - Story of a Murderer). The new government commitee suit (Lord Voldemort) also does a decent job in the few scenes he has. Unfortunately I found the main villain unconvincing whenever he opened his mouth. Too much overacting by our favourite Spanish Oscar winner. I'm not sure why he played it that way, we all know he can do better.

A-.

I absolutely agree that every moment was better than the Brosnan films. That said, I loathe the Brosnan films - and though I really like Pierce Brosnan, I must be the only person who thinks he's a terrible Bond. I've never been able to take him seriously as a tough guy - which is ultimately the most important aspect of the character.

Roger Moore, at least, had the charm and humor. Brosnan was always "meh" in most ways to me - as Bond.

Anyone else looking forward to The Man With The Iron Fists?

Oh yeah, totally!
Though we are not much of moviegoers these days, we will probably wait talk hits DVD or Netflix

Watched to 80s films that were so bad yet so good.
"Unmasking the idol", and "the order of the Black eagle." order of the black eagle is the better of the two, in my opinion.
They both follow the adventures of Duncan Jax, international man of intrigue. seen through the lens of cocaine – fueled 80s action excess, they have ninjas, nazis, tricky gadgets, and a sidekick baboon who drives a little miniature baboon tank.
I was rolling from start to finish, had multiple nerdgasms due to overdose of 80s goodness. Every action trend, that you can think of from the 80s is in these movies, it's a vivid fever dream from my youth. I'm already thinking of watching them again. They're wonderful, and both available on Netflix streaming. you owe it to yourself to see these movies if you're into 80s action cheese!

Back
Top Bottom