Xbox One

It's not that I do not understand. I just not share your enthusiastic views of the future you envision.

No, and that's quite alright - but if you understood, you wouldn't have made the previous post.

But whatever :)

The original policy only required a daily check in, that's not exactly always on — though it is obviously a step in that direction — so I doubt the cloud would have presented a much better opportunity than it will now. You're really giving AAA publishers too much credit if you think they would have gotten innovative with it. At best it might add better environmental effects that mean next to nothing and at worst it would be used as a crutch to ship an incomplete game on time while filling in the gaps with the cloud.

Publishers don't necessarily dictate against every single thing developers want to implement. Smart developers might have implemented a central database for everything in a given setting - like, say, for a game like Dragon Age - they could have created a central database for all the games in the trilogy - which would have meant potentially three times the amount of items and much more lore that could be implemented seamlessly in all games as they developed it. If space is not a concern - and you can easily share between all games, then you have the potential to expand data vastly for a world and setting. This is why it would have been brilliant for RPGs.

They could have created a smart data structure for dynamic quests. Meaning the games would automatically update in the background - and quests would be integrated and added without the player ever knowing about it. Perhaps through some optional subscription mode? Extra profit for publishers - more game for players.

It could be taken even further, especially now when a company like EA is so obsessed with the Frostbite engine. They could potentially share assets between multiple games.

Tons of potential - and it might have meant more profit with less effort for publishers too.

Anyway - that's not likely to happen now because players are not necessarily going to be online - and consumers are happy again, so it's all good.

I will consider the XBox now but no telling if I will buy it still.

The changes are perfect for me. I work all day on a computer with fast internet and generally hang out with friends or go for a bike ride after work. I get home late usually so I haven't even bothered to get home internet. I have my smartphone to browse a site or two if needed. I have no intention of paying $50 a month for internet that I will rarely use. For me the old XBox DRM would cost $600 a year extra which I would rather spend on other things like new bike parts (which are stupid expensive), beer and gas to go to interesting places to ride said bike.

If I stayed home more of course I would get home internet but I prefer to just store stuff there and sleep there and spend the rest of my time outside if I can. I game on the days I'm feeling lazy.

The whole concept of "games as a service" has 1 great advantage :

One is the Server,
One is the Client.

And because of serving everything, the Server has the power - the power to withhold, the power to withdraw, the power to incfluence everything the Server has.

Just look at it in terms of power : If you follow this, then the XBRother is nothing but a natural evolution. Of the way to get power over games.

The NEXT step, however, would be, to WITHDRAW everything from the customer which enables the customer to be productive. In an Dystopia, Customers simply weren't allowed to self-create things, to simply create things on their own. They would have to be made dependent from what Companies/Firms produce - and no-one else but them would have the RIGHT to actually produce things.

If I think it a little bit further into this Dystopia, then there would have been at one point in the past SO MUCH Lobbyism by Game manufacturers directed towards the State and the Lawmakers, that there's be a made a law at one point that no-one would be allowed to "produce" anything without a proper license.

Only Firms having an actual "license to produce" would not be punished for "Illegal Producing" - which would very much strengthen the companies who did all of the Lobbying (and much later of course got the very first Licenses) in the first place.

For me, everything would have been ok if MS took some time to really work out the consumer's ownership somehow.

But it really seems like MS just didn't want to 'deal with it' and while cloud computing could offer some new kinds of gameplay, the issue of ownership resonated and it seems to have resonated world wide. It seems to be an issue not only for myself but for many, that has a priority over whatever cloud computing could have brought.

If that makes myself and just about everybody else a moron, so be it. But I think the issue of ownership is an important one - particularly when planning to price Xbox One games at what has been traditionally ownership prices - $50-$60.

I guess dunce is fine if I must be some kind of pejorative.

Back
Top Bottom