Dragon Age 2 - First Web Review, Console Auto-Attack Info

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Well, the first web review of Dragon Age 2 we've seen is out at The Escapist. It's a glowing piece with a 5-star score with the author being impressed with virtually everything - although the story is apparently the star. Here are two clips, one negative, one positive:
A slight drawback is that the spells and abilities with these combos are only available in a few of the many talent trees of each class and, because the damage that these combos generate is so above and beyond normal combat, it forces the savvy player into only investing in those trees, especially on the higher difficulties. Don't get me wrong, it's awesome when you smash a dude for tons of damage, but the combo abilities should have been peppered throughout all of the trees. Nobody likes forced choices producing a cookie-cutter party. [...]
The advancements in RPG mechanics would be enough to set it apart, but the real achievement of Dragon Age II is in the story-telling. I could point out the improved combat and graphics till there's blood covering my face, but BioWare is one of the few companies that uses the advanced computing power available to modern game designers to let you actually play a role. As Hawke, you care about your mother and family, you care about your city and the conflicts that threaten to tear it apart. In a game as dense as this, and it will occupy at least fifty hours if you follow every hook, it's a triumph to just complete the story. But if I was proud to become the Champion of Kirkwall, I was more happy to have the tools to tell the story the way I envisioned it.
Interestingly, the article (based on the X360 version) specifically mentions Auto-attack, which apparently doesn't exist at the moment for consoles. Ploppy sent in this post from Chris Priestly that explains the auto-attack option (for consoles) didn't make the disk:
OK: Here is the story.

Auto-attack option for consoles was added in to the games late in the development cycle after the initial certification build was sent. The auto-attack functionality was sent to be added to the game for testing and approval. This was why staff said it was in game.

Due to an error during mastering, the auto-attack file was omitted during manufacture.

We apologize for this. It was meant to be in game, but it is not currently in the console versions. We are working on how best to distribute this to console users. When we have information, we will let everyone know.
More information.

The biggest newspaper in Norway also has a review out:
http://www.vg.no/spill/artikkel.php?artid=10091017

In short, max score (6 out of 6), best RPG in years. Basically, the review contains all the usual hype.

I have to wait a few more days before playing it myself, but I expect we'll have various reviews - or at least opinions/thoughts - on DA2 on the general RPG forum of the Watch during the weekend.

Edit: Probably sooner, considering the NA version unlocks today.

I have to wait a few more days before playing it myself, but I expect we'll have various reviews - or at least opinions/thoughts - on DA2 on the general RPG forum of the Watch during the weekend.

Edit: Probably sooner, considering the NA version unlocks today.

Looking forward to hear your and others thoughts about it!
The cross class combos mentioned in the review actually sound like a good idea - I often thought it would have been nice to have more combat synergies between party characters in DA:O.
Other than that, I think this is a review from a person with clearly different priorities from myself. Still, it sounds like its an entertaining story, so may be worth getting someday.

It seems like the game's only redeeming feature is a great story (that part seems to jive with the other things I'm seeing).

It made me rage when I saw this though:
The Escapist said:
You can micro-manage the tactics if you're OCD

So basically if you're not into button mashing and want pause and play as a design feature in modes other than nightmare, it means you have a DISORDER.

*removes theescapist.com from bookmarks*

My computer is ready, I just need to finish my work day...

and I'm a proud OCD, I will use the micro-management when needed on easy or normal.

So far the story is ok, many of the characters are like-able but everything else is quite meh. I miss having a true isometric view {which this should have had damnit} so I'm just playing through on Casual Mode{easiest}, for the story and to get through the boring combat parts more quickly.

I must say it looks absolutely awful. The worst looking game I've seen in years.

Even the animation looks awful.

At least none can blaim bioware for being graphics whores anymore.

If this sells it might significantly lower the art requirements in the future, which might make companies focus more on gameplay again.. so something good comes out of it.

I always wondered how top marketed games (like EA , or Activision ones) get always the highest scores. While outsiders are slammed to the ground for every slightest fault.

Could someone in game journalism buisness explain please ?

Are game sites afraid to lose good will of EA, Activision. Or do they get money ?
Or are they perhaps afraid they will get slammed by fanboys or called controversial ?

I really wonder

That was already revealed when eidos pulled all their adz from gamespot when their game received a bad review.

Originally Posted by The Escapist
You can micro-manage the tactics if you're OCD

sigh. thinking and planning is now a disorder. sitting back and auto-owning is normal. welcome to the next generation.

I must say it looks absolutely awful. The worst looking game I've seen in years.

Even the animation looks awful.

At least none can blaim bioware for being graphics whores anymore.

If this sells it might significantly lower the art requirements in the future, which might make companies focus more on gameplay again.. so something good comes out of it.

Strange when my character walked into kirkwall it looked absolutely amazing. I have only played for anout an houe and a half but I honestly can't agree with these comments. The story is really good so far as well, seems to be some interesting choices in dialogue. This is from playing the game.

Strange when my character walked into kirkwall it looked absolutely amazing. I have only played for anout an houe and a half but I honestly can't agree with these comments. The story is really good so far as well, seems to be some interesting choices in dialogue. This is from playing the game.

Well, my judgment comes from the video on the escapist site. Perhaps the PC version looks much much better than that as that was the x360 version… do you have the high-res texture pack btw ?

I haven't tried it myself.

Is the game simple enough now to be best played with gamepad? No need for mouse anymore? I ordered PC version but it usually has gamepad support too.

I'm not sure, I never tried that. I am assuming you might be able to, though I think it would make it a lot harder. I was still using pause to select a target to attack or give out a talent. Once you click on a enemy it keeps doing the basic attack. I'm not sure how well that would translate over to a controller.

No, I was to into trying it to bother with the pack. You may be able to get there with the demo because I never got to the main city in the demo since I didn't want to ruin the main game. It was the square with all the gold statues depicting the slaves that had come to the city. What you could see was the city in the background and it honestly was much better then anything I saw in the first game.

That was already revealed when eidos pulled all their adz from gamespot when their game received a bad review.

Ah yes. That.

Still funny thing is that even smaller fishes (sites that dont get big add deals) tend to flatter the big ones

if biowear does bad from this (LOLOLOLOLOLOL) then at least something good comes out of this smelly, smelly pile of poopoo

Someone posted early about the graphics looking horrible . Its not so much the graphics, the animations are ridiculous,For a AAA .

oh lol, just watched the escapist review of it.

pure cocksucking at its finest. i wanted to be wraung as well...

Back
Top Bottom