Shadowrun Returns - Berlin DLC Delayed

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Shadowrun Returns has a new post-fuding update informing us that the Berlin DLC is being delayed, and that a save everywhere option might be forthcoming.

Beyond working on bug fixes, translations, Linux, and finishing the tablet versions of the game, the engineering team has been investigating improvements to our save game functionality. We are aware that there are a number of people who would like the ability to save in the middle of scenes. However, we also know that adding this feature would involve major changes to the core infrastructure of the game. It’s still too early to say whether this is going to be possible, but we wanted to let you know that we’re actively investigating it and will let you know more in the coming weeks.

We've heard a lot of questions from you wondering what to expect from Berlin. Well, our original plan called for a modest-sized campaign that we could ship by the end of October. However, after listening to your forum discussions and feedback, it became clear that you would like to see something bigger (and so would we). So, we've decided to spend more time on Berlin to create an experience closer to the size of Dead Man’s Switch. A story of that scope will take longer, so we’re targeting January for its release. While we're still in the early stages of development and many things could change, we’d like to share what we’re planning so far. For example - we know that we want our next story to feel more like the player is part of a shadowrunning crew and contain more corporate intrigue.
More information.

A save anywhere option "has to be forthcoming."

Because of time constraints, I spent about 3 hours total on the last mission due to a number of restarts.

Until the save feature is fixed, there will be no further Shadowruns for me.

I wonder if we can import an existing character. It would be nice if we could, but I'm guessing the answer is probably no.

No surprise. I'm guessing they want to ship it before the Christmas rush though.

Berlin is getting feature creep it seems to me.

I wonder if we can import an existing character. It would be nice if we could, but I'm guessing the answer is probably no.

Last I heard, the developers are still debating whether they should design the Berlin campaign for a character that finished "Dead Man's Switch" or a new character. They obviously left the possibility open at the end of DMS. I'd also kind of prefer if they made it so we could carry our character over, but the downside of that would be that those characters are already pretty powerful... so they'd probably be godlike by the end of Berlin. They could solve this problem by just making the karma rewards per run smaller in Berlin though :)

I'd prefer a new character. What I like about RPGs is the advancement, starting as a nothing and getting powerful little by little. If I start already powerful then might as well play a shooter.

Berlin is getting feature creep it seems to me.

In this case, I think that's a good thing. I'm a little shocked they wsnted to do an even simpler/shorter campaign than dead man's switch, to be honest. Also that it takes them this long to build one on this level. But I am happy to hear about the new elements, good tobhear they are listening to feedback.

I'm a little shocked they wsnted to do an even simpler/shorter campaign than dead man's switch, to be honest. Also that it takes them this long to build one on this level.

I agree... I thought the same thing after reading the paragraph. I enjoyed the "Dead man's switch", but would love to play both a larger and deeper campaign. I had hoped the new setting would offer this.

Scary quote: "So, we've decided to spend more time on Berlin to create an experience closer to the size of Dead Man’s Switch.

What was Berlin going to be before, 4 hours long?

In this case, I think that's a good thing. I'm a little shocked they wsnted to do an even simpler/shorter campaign than dead man's switch, to be honest. Also that it takes them this long to build one on this level. But I am happy to hear about the new elements, good to hear they are listening to feedback.

They're probably going to create a bunch of new art assets; new buildings, props, character portraits, new creatures, etc. I think Jordan Weisman has also hinted at the possibility of creating an Astral Space segment.... So there's a lot of stuff to work on beyond simply writing the story and making the campaign. That and they still have a lot of their staff working on patching the base game engine.

Given that they've already developed the engine, I was expecting something a little more ambitious. Surely they can develop the scenario, write patches, and create art assets in parallel? Ah well, maybe next year….

We all seem to be forgetting one thing here money. All the kickstarter money is gone. There now relying on the money brought in from selling the game.

Last edited:
Scary quote: "So, we've decided to spend more time on Berlin to create an experience closer to the size of Dead Man’s Switch.

What was Berlin going to be before, 4 hours long?

More likely.

We all seem to be forgetting one thing here money. All the kickstater money is gone. There now relying on the money brought in from selling the game.
I was also going to mention that but I guess their deciding to considerably up the scale of Berlin means it sold well enough.

I was also going to mention that but I guess their deciding to considerably up the scale of Berlin means it sold well enough.
Yeah, that’s my guess, too. Of course, any guess can be wrong but, judging from the little info available, I think it's within commonsensical area.

I don't know why but this game really couldn't hold my attention past the first playthrough and I usually try many characters. Not even the promise of UGCs enticed me back as I found the gameplay itself rather disappointing

I liked the game well enough, but I'm sure the best is yet to come.

Perhaps they are hoping for a serialized release model? If Berlin sells well enough, it may trigger another follow-on.

I was one of the guys that thought that Berlin was going to be a full size campaign and that DMS was just a sample mod ala NWN vanilla.

Back
Top Bottom