Wizardry 8 - Retrospective @ Matt Chat

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I've been considering this game for a while. Would be nice to see a HD texture mod or widescreen mod. I don't really own anything in this genre except for Legend of Grimrock, which I didn't find that appealing. I think I might have played 6 hrs. or so, and that was it. I've also been considering Might and Magic X. I've never played any of the M&M series, but X looks promising. I think that the others are just too dated graphics wise at this point.

I've been considering this game for a while. Would be nice to see a HD texture mod or widescreen mod. I don't really own anything in this genre except for Legend of Grimrock, which I didn't find that appealing.

Wiz 8 isn't really in the same genre as Grimrock. They're both party-based crpgs that use a first-person view, but that's where the similarities end. Grimrock is just a dungeon crawl, albeit a very good one imo.

Wiz 8 is a much longer game with more depth and covers a greater variety of environments. The combat is turn-based and makes use of tactical positioning of your party members. It can be a bit grindy to some people due to the high volume of combat, but I still consider it a classic.

Wizardry 8 is one of the best RPGs of all time... and it holds up surprisingly well for a 12 year old game; While the textures could use an upgrade, at least you can bump up the resolution and turn on antialiasing, which really helps.

I spent hundreds of hours playing Wiz 8 and Wiz 8 mods. Will we get Wiz 9 one day?

No we won't get wiz 9, at least not from the guys who made wiz 8. Wiz 8 was the swansong of old schoolz first person party RPGs. Maybe we'll get Grimoire, buts that's more influenced by Wiz 6/7.

I spent hundreds of hours playing Wiz 8 and Wiz 8 mods. Will we get Wiz 9 one day?
There is a Wiz 9. And 10, and 11, and many more. But I should warn you, you won't like what you see if you go searching.

Wiz 8 Mods?

Do you have a Wiz 8 mod that is your fav? I love this game never played a mod

There is a Wiz 9. And 10, and 11, and many more. But I should warn you, you won't like what you see if you go searching.

Think I have Wizardry: Labyrinth Of Lost Souls for IOS kicking around somewhere. Don't have a great urge to play it though, maybe if I get stuck on some long weekend somewhere with only an Ipad for company.

I've never played any of the M&M series, but X looks promising. I think that the others are just too dated graphics wise at this point.
Might & Magic VI and VII are really good. (VIII less so and IX is horrible) I would recommend VII in particular. Sure, the graphics are primitive, but also rather charming.

I love Wiz 8, and was thrilled when GoG did the 'Wine Wrapper' port for the Mac!

One of the greatest RPGs of all time (and the last of its kind?).

Back
Top Bottom