Mass Effect - PS3 Verdict @ Eurogamer

Dhruin

SasqWatch
With the Mass Effect series now available on the PS3, Eurogamer breaks down the technical proficiency in one of their Digital Foundry articles:
The wait is over, and PS3 owners now have the ability to sculpt their own Shepard from the beginning of the Mass Effect series right the way through to the controversial conclusion. Technically, there are a swathe of genuine advantages to playing the latest Sony release too. To reel off a few of the major points: texture pop-in has been minimised hugely thanks to the install, frame-rates have been improved for cut-scenes, and there's now absolutely no screen-tearing throughout. There are a few design choices that may be preferable to some players as well, such as the reduced intensity of the bloom, and also the minimised film grain filter that characterises the game's 50s sci-fi aesthetic.
It's not a perfect transition though. Negatives points such as the lower-resolution normal maps may pass many players by, especially without an alternative image to compare it to. However, the use of flickering PCF shadows on character faces stick out even more than the 360's dithered approach, and produces sharp bands of shade across enclosed environments too. It's also a shame to see the PS3 can't break away from the incessant 15FPS feedback around Chora's Den or Noveria's wintry cliff-sides. In this respect, it's only marginally improved over the 360 in the performance stakes.
More information.

I wouldn't give it a chance, even if i hadn't played me1 and loved 2 and 3. Not because it is bad game - quite the opposite. Its brilliant... and I would be sooo sad to see what potential was there, which was nerfed by ME2 simplicity and ME3's writers brain tumor (and simplifying more rpg elements such us "quest hearing"). Too much pain to replay.

Back
Top Bottom