Baldur's Gate 2: EE - Now Available

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition is now available. You can buy the game from Beamdog or Steam. It's your choice as both sell the game for the same price.

About the Game

Kidnapped. Imprisoned. Tortured. The wizard Irenicus holds you captive in his stronghold, attempting to strip you of the powers that are your birthright.

Can you resist the evil within you, forge a legend of heroic proportions, and ultimately destroy the dark essence that haunts your dreams? Or will you embrace your monstrous nature, carve a swath of destruction across the realms, and ascend to godhood as the new Lord of Murder?

Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition brings this critically acclaimed role-playing experience to back to life.

Features

• The Final Chapter - Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition includes Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal, the epic conclusion of the Bhaalspawn saga.
  • Four New Party Members - Bundled with Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition are four new characters that can join you on your journey.
  • The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay - Explore the tactical depth of high-level Dungeons & Dragons combat. Undermine your captors and prey upon their weaknesses while you dodge traps and battle for your life against Demi-Liches, Mind Flayers, and Githyanki.
  • Easy Multiplayer - Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition makes it easy to find, list, and join multiplayer games, even while behind a firewall.
  • Widescreen and More - Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition features full widescreen support, remastered area artwork from original renders, and a host of other interface and gameplay improvements.
More information.

No delay before the Steam release. That's cool. Now all I have to do is wait for a couple of patch updates… ;)

Last edited:
Actually there was quite the delay, I've had it for 3 days before it Steam. I'm happy to report that there were no gamebreaking problems and I've had no issues at all so far. The game is absolutely gorgeous, a true compliment to the history of this game and all that it represents.

Is playing the EE of BG1 and 2 unambiguously better or at least equivalent (in overall quality) to play the basic modded versions of BG1 and 2? By basic, I mean the widescreen mod and the mods that let you play BG1 in the BG2 engine. I'm not talking about the insane number of extra content mods and the like.

Is playing the EE of BG1 and 2 unambiguously better or at least equivalent (in overall quality) to play the basic modded versions of BG1 and 2? By basic, I mean the widescreen mod and the mods that let you play BG1 in the BG2 engine. I'm not talking about the insane number of extra content mods and the like.

Yes, it is basically the same. I'm playing BG1:EE right now and it works perfectly in 1920x1080, with BG2 kits and some basic but still nice interface upgrades.

Can you tell if the characters and creatures have been anti-aliased for BG2EE? That was noticeably missing from BGEE because of the lack of original artwork.

The UI scales which was always an issue with the widescreen mod

25 $ for it and so many bugs and so little new content.
No but thanks.

25 $ for it and so many bugs and so little new content.
No but thanks.

What kind of bugs? Game breaking? Ugly making? For the cheap price I was thinking of picking this up, but don't really want to deal with bugs that would ruin the experience.

Yes, it is basically the same. I'm playing BG1:EE right now and it works perfectly in 1920x1080, with BG2 kits and some basic but still nice interface upgrades.

I have BGEE. I'll probably jump on BGEE 2 at the right price. I already have the games on GoG, but I figure I may as well just follow through with the EEs.

I might also wait until some patches fall on both of them.

I just don't get the price points of these "Enhanced Editions". Besides scaling UI, a couple new characters, and an arena I couldn't care less about, what does it do that mods don't? I feel like I'm overlooking the selling point completely.

I have BGEE. I'll probably jump on BGEE 2 at the right price. I already have the games on GoG, but I figure I may as well just follow through with the EEs.

I might also wait until some patches fall on both of them.

I only have BGEE and it is very well patched now. Some bugs from the originals still exist, though I only encountered one in almost 60 hours of play.

According to The Escapist's BG2:EE review the interface changes are really good, but the new story content is still pretty buggy. A good idea for the wallet and for a playthrough is probably to wait a while for the patches to come and the price to go down a bit.

I just don't get the price points of these "Enhanced Editions". Besides scaling UI, a couple new characters, and an arena I couldn't care less about, what does it do that mods don't? I feel like I'm overlooking the selling point completely.

The main selling points to me were two things:
- works perfectly on modern computers. Less time to play games means I have less time to mod old games to work well. It also works better than the mods do.
- some new content to experience in the main game (though I actually haven't tried any of it due to none of the new characters fitting into my party).

I'm happy for those who can replay BG 1 and BG 2 again and again and are willing to buy the Enhanced Edition, but it's not somehing I can or want to do myself. While I enjoyed those games like any other RPG nerd, having played through each of them twice now is more than plenty for me, and since most content (if any?) is not randomized, there isn't much left to explore and discover for me.

For the amount of content in BGII +ToB, I think that's a good deal. Especially for people who haven't played the series previously.

Games that charge 50 dollars these days WISH they were half as good as BG 2 was, and still is. I don't and never will take to mods in my games, so the convenience of having this run on my current system with no issues makes it a deal for me. Besides, I live in Edmonton and I'll gladly throw money at any decent rpg that's ever made in the area, with the exception of EA or Origin....blech. And by made I'm also including any changes that make old games playable on new operating systems.

I have such a backlog I help myself back from buying yet ... I will grab it is (a) I have time to play (b) big sale or (c) iPad version release.

No rush, really :)

I bought BG:EE because it's a bit of a hassle to install all the mods to get BG1 running with BG2 engine. I was quite satisfied with BG:EE but I will pass on BG2:EE since I love modded companions for BG2 a lot. Also, I find that BG2 runs fine on my PC, so I don't see why I need to spend $20-25 on this game :p I heard that new theif NPC is pretty cool, but hey, I'm not losing other 5-6 modded characters just for 1!

Back
Top Bottom