Partisan Revealed

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Worthplaying is pointing out a new Russian action/RPG called Partisan from ND Games and Paradigm. As far as I can tell, it's a hack'n'slasher set in WWII - here's the description from the official site:
Storyline
Our hero, a former Red Army captain, demoted during prewar repressions, finds himself on the frontline. Outnumbered and outgunned by the superior German forces, his battalion was destroyed and his few surviving friends were captured.
Fighting his way through occupied territory, our hero will liberate his comrades, reveal the mysteries of a secret weapon and foil the enemy’s plans.
The storyline brings the hero into contact with NPCs that will help him survive: weapons vendors, allies that will fight on his side, and peaceful civilians who provide quests or supply information.

Game features:

• A unique combination of action and tactics with RPG features
  • Different mission styles, ranging from violent street fights to carefully planned stealth operations
  • A wide range of combat tactics lets players find their own combat methodsv
  • Various levels, ranging from idyllic landscapes to ruined cities and formidable underground fortifications
  • A rich set of character skills that can be improved
  • A vast amount of WWII-period weapons ranging from well-known models to experimental prototypes
Head over to see some screens.
More information.

Not that uninteresting a concept for an RPG, actually. A lost red army commander unleashed into the chaos that was the eastern front?

Screams "shooter" more than "RPG". Could be good if well-executed.

Obviously, no reason to think it will be well-executed here. The tank-top hero says it all.

We've talked about this on the Codex yesterday and after reading the site and looking at the screens I put this under "Strategy Gaming" :wink: since I thought it would be closer to games like Xcom or Jagged Alliance than to a shooter or an RPG. Now, when I look again, I'm not sure where I got the idea from. I'm not even sure there are action points in this game, the yellow bar in the bottom-right corner could represent hit points.

Genre: action RPG

At least that's what they are saying.

Ahh same people that made Night Watch that's on the Silent Storm engine no?

No, I think this is a publisher for Night Watch in some territories but NW was developed by Nival and this is some mob called Paradigm. I thought it might be the SS engine for a bit but I don't think so -- especially considering the action stuff.

Don't know if this is of any interest but I just took the description of the genre as given. We'll decide whether to cover it in the future based on what we see. :)

Is Silent Storm any good? Never got to play that one either.

Maybe it's more of Commandos with more action than strategy/puzzle and RPG elements? Though the official site does label it as action RPG.

Anyway, not the most thrilling of settings, but not that used up, speaking of RPGs. Actually it's the first one since Weird War or what was it called went somewhere down the drain.

woges,

Yes, Silent Storm was a good game. If you like turn based squad level strategy games (like Jagged Alliance 2, etc) then you will probably like Silent Storm.

I didn't much care for the mech-suits that were in some of the missions, but they didn't ruin the game and some folks liked them I'm sure.

You can get Silent Storm Gold from Amazon (used) for under $20 and it includes the expansion pack (which I never played). I think it goes for $20 retail if you can find it anywhere (gogamer and amazon don't have it in stock, except used).

As for Partisan, here's hoping it doesn't suck, but not much hope. Even if it's along the same lines as Silent Storm/Jagged Alliance I hope it's at least well done.

Any actual RPG in this kind of setting could be pretty interesting though. Any kind of modern (as in last century) war setting, or espionage setting, could be a nice change of pace from the usual fantasy or sci-fi stuff.

Is Silent Storm any good? Never got to play that one either.

Silent Storm is pretty good ... then the same engine was used for Hammer & Sickle, Night Watch and Day Watch. I liked H&S for the choices and strategies effecting outcomes but it was really pretty mediocre game overall. Night Watch was a lot better, but the time spent in the twilight meant looking at the world through a murky filter all the time ... and day watch came over as quickly done and badly translated.

Piling up bodies behind the house there, it's looking like what Arma was saying kinda Commandos-like, definitely not Commie Diablo tho. Prolly stats to bump up here and there, whatever.

Back
Top Bottom