Which new mainboard / CPU / combo ?

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
I probably need a new CPU, M/B or both, see the other thread.

I want this unplanned update to be as small as possible. So let's play through the 3 possible cases. Which components would you recommend.

I still have 2*4 GB DDR3 I would prefer to recycle.

1. Mainboard is okay, CPU is damaged.
    I'm running a Phenom 2 X4 CPU. Which current CPU for that socket should I buy?
  2. CPU is okay, mainboard is damaged.
    Which new mainboard offers the best bang for the buck at the moment? I prefer full size but with onboard graphics (HDMI). Later this PC would become a HTPC.
  3. Both are gone.
    Which current combo is good and relatively cheap? Sounds like an i5 this time.

One of the nice things about AMD CPU's is that their socket-type doesn't change half as often as Intel's and is often back-compatible. Phenom 2 uses AM3 which will also work in AM3+ socket motherboards (AM3+ have support for 8-core chipes).

So, given the above, I would opt to get a really good AM3+ board for future-proofing purposes. Your current Phenom II will still work (if it works at all) with it. If bootup is still a no-go after installing the board, there's no need to return the board or uninstall it, just purchase whatever chip you want, it should be compatible.

Look into the current c't for seeing what CPUs are available right now. There's a list - and a few "bottom line" advices (although not many).

Thanks guys! More recommendations?

It turned out the mainboard is okay and the CPU kaputt. So I need a new CPU for AM3.

X4-955 if it is still available. Where I live it is almost impossible to get X4's anymore which is a shame given they are superior to bulldozers for gamers. If you can then probably best to wait another couple of months for Vishera (enhanced bulldozer) which "should" be superior to the X4's in both single threaded and multithreaded performance.

Thanks for your recommendation. I was offered an X6 1090T Black Edition for 110€. That's the biggest CPU compatible to my mainboard. The LAN chip on the mainboard is damaged too, so I'm going to put a PCI-e 1x LAN card in. Then I'll add a WLAN stick and try to get a virtual WLAN running, to connect notebook and pad. Win 7 comes with this funtionality, but not all WLAN chips support it. Worth a try though, because it's dirt cheap.

Well, now that you are forced into an upgrade I would get a i5-2550k or i5-3570k. You will need a new mainboard as well, but those aren't that expensive and you need new LAN anyway from the sound of it.
Also, this way it will be a significant performance upgrade for you instead of just repairs..

The already insurance paid for the stuff I listed. ;)

I didn't really want to upgrade because my Windows is still intact, and I don't want to spend a weekend on a re-install. The mainboard is still stable (tested it). An upgrade would have cost ca. 300€ plus a good cooler, minus the 120 bucks the insurance paid. I don't need more CPU power. My bottleneck is the Radeon 6850.

Back
Top Bottom