The "I Just Bought" thread

We still don't have a name for the puppy (well, we have several weeks so it's not that tragic).
On another note, I bought this:

Attachments

• sw4.jpg
    sw4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 170
We got an ADT home security system. I know a lot of people here think that I'd like to blow away an intruder in my home, but I can assure you that's not the case. So to avoid either having to do that, or coming home to an empty house that's been ransacked, I went ahead and checked out what ADT has to offer in the way of home security.

Right now they have a really good deal. It's $99.oo installation on a home security system w/ the "pulse" feature, which is basically smart phone functionality. I can arm/disarm the system from an internet browser, or an app on my phone. It's pretty cool actually, I'm impressed. The entire thing's wireless, so they dont have to install a bunch of cable or anything. There's also some other additional cool stuff you can get like thermostat control, lighting control, etc. but i just wanted security. You have to commit to 2-year contact at $50.oo/month.

For me, it's well worth it. Really, I dont want to shoot anyone.

ADT Pulse home security system

Also, we bought some new schnauzer accessories. Lucy is up and about now, her physical therapy has really helped her regain the use of her rear leg and things are looking up. My wife could not resist these things when she saw them in the store. See the pics below.

Strangely, Lucy didnt mind the jacket much. She's usually quite resistant to wearing any type of accessory, even a collar, but she doesnt seem to mind the little jacket much.

The little portable dog kennel is a great idea, the thing folds up and is great for when we take her somewhere and need to put her away for a while. Sure beats lugging around some huge metal cage, and she seems to like it

Attachments

• boojacket.jpg
    boojacket.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 156
  • boohouse.jpg
    boohouse.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 155
Got myself a new Benq 120hz monitor because:

1 one of my extant monitors started going extinct
2 the 120 hz monitor was on sale

It turned out that the old monitor wasn't as dead as I thought. At least it seems to be working now. Tooooo bad (honestly, I did believe it broken. It started increasingly turning itself off, I had to push the (swedish) button repeatedly to turne it on again)

The new monitor is great. it didn't work at 120 Hz through my KVM switch, so I had to rearrange my setup. After that: yay!!!

I'm considering buying a Nvidia 3Dvision set. I have tried red/green glasses, which seemed to work fairly well with some games, but not that many. I assume the Nvidia set will work better?????

Pibbur who is running at 60hz while resting, 130-140 while running

Bought him several weeks ago, but now he's here:
Rocky.

Attachments

• Rocky.jpg
    Rocky.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 129
He's tiny :). Not half as big as he looks in the pic. Right now he's sound asleep, and sonny is sooo happy ...

A pair of nVidia 3dvision2 glasses. I already had a 120Hz monitor (which I bought because I thought the old one was dying. Honestly, I did, and for good reasons.)

My personal experiences:

1. They work very well, much better than red-blue glasses. With the RB glasses, no matter what depth settings I used, I got shadows around things, not easy to overlook. No such problem with these new glasses.

Some games work better than others, (and some don't work at all).
I've so far mostly tried them on LOTRO, SWTOR and Skyrim I had to adjust screen frequency in-game to 120Hz in all three games, and running them in a window or window-fullscreen mode didn't work.

There are some artifacts, such as the sky appearing closer than the background in Lotro. That is easy to overlook in that game. In Skyrim, there's still the problem with shadows rendered too close. But not as bad as they used to. I don't know if that's the result of patching, or that the new glasses works better.

NVidia have lists showing how well a game can be expected to run, and also settings recommended for optimal 3D experience.

2. On screen text appear close to the screen. This especially affects floating names and such, and can be disturbing, especially in crowded areas. I've turned off as much of it as I can, which helps a lot.

3. The glasses compensate intensity loss, so the screen doesn't appear darkened. That was a problem with the red-blue glasses. However, anything outside the screen (keyboard) will appear darker.

BTW: It's quite funny walking around in my den, in and out of reach of the IR transmitter.

4. No problem with flickering, except on my second monitor, sometimes I turn that one off, but it's not intolerable. The user documentation says that you may experience flickering from lamps in your room. I haven't noticed that, and anyway I keep my den fairly dark when playing.

5. No problem using the equipment with prescription glasses. However, the frame is fairly tight, using the glasses for a long time (especially if wearing headphones) is a bit painful. I think (hope) that will be a temporary problem.

6. I do look silly wearing them.

pibbur

I'm in full Nintendo revival mode, kicked off by my purchase of a Hyperkin Retron 3 Video Game System, with NES/SNES/GENESIS ports. It's awesome, and plays all 3 system's games well. The only problem is the AWFUL controllers, they truly suck. Thankfully they provide controller ports for all the original controllers for all 3 systems. Too much damn fun.

Strangely enough, I've barely used the system because it got me digging out the old Nintendos i have and working on cleaning and restoring - and subsequently playing them to death while the Retron collects dust!

This guy does kind of annoying little skit in the beginning, but once you get past that there is some really good information on cleaning the classic Nintendo system - Clean Your Nintendo NES Console (or Dirty NESticles) 8-bit #1

This guy's a little more to the point - Gamerade - Cleaning and Restoring an Original Nintendo Entertainment System

Bought a nintendo security tool screwdrivers set so I can take apart my game cartridges to clean them thoroughly.

Clean Your Nintendo NES Games (or Stop Blowing your Games!) 8-bit #2

Is FIFA 10 and Fußball Manager 10 by EA any good ? Because I bought both for 99 Cents in an Electronics Chain store (Saturn) which seemingly wants to get rid of them …
I also bought Grotesque Tactics II for 2,99 there …
I can't wait installing Grotesque Tactics II :) - assumed I find enough free space on my HD (too many too old games there still) …

Is FIFA 10 and Fußball Manager 10 by EA any good ? Because I bought both for 99 Cents in an Electronics Chain store (Saturn) which seemingly wants to get rid of them …
I also bought Grotesque Tactics II for 2,99 there …
I can't wait installing Grotesque Tactics II :) - assumed I find enough free space on my HD (too many too old games there still) …

They are highly rated and reviewed, but they are iterations like Madden NFL football that we get in the US each August. In other words - each year you get new team rosters and a few tweaks. So chances are you are getting a solid couple of games for an amazing price!

LEXX? Great :D.

Thanks, txa.

LEXX? Great :D.

Yep :) . I was really surprised when I found it. I was browsing the DVD section at a local Target when I came across them. I had never seen LEXX in stores over here before. In fact, I'm not sure if the full series was ever even broadcast over here. I just remember catching a few episodes on Syfy a long time ago and instantly falling in love with Xenia Seeberg.

The second Zev... well, I preferred the blue-haired one from the pilot(s), Eva Habermann I think her name was. But I might be wrong.

Well, I always had a thing for 790. The other male leads from LEXX were so ... er ... I just don't know. Stanley had a few moments (especially the one where he forced the Divine Predecessors to sing a song for him), but otherwise ... nah, I stay with 790 for the moment ^^.

Yeah, apparently Eva Habermann only played Zev for the first 6 episodes.

I can't judge who's the better Zev/Xev from an acting perspective as I've yet to watch the full series, but Seeberg definitely wins in aesthetics. ;)

An jump & run game called "Nyx Quest" for 1 Euro.
It's playing around the story of Icarus, and Nyx is in this game his girl-friend who is searching for him. :)

I just bought the adventure game Chains of Satinav. It is a game set in the Dark Eye universe, not an rpg or shooter, but an adventure game. It is made by the same people who made A new beginning and The Whispered World.

I've bought it because I wanted to play it ---- later. And because certain games I avoided to buy (for monetary reasons) weren't available when I later wanted to buy them.

Back
Top Bottom