Dragon Age: Inquisition - E3 Coverage

aries100

SasqWatch
Looking good to me, watched this just a little while ago and looks amazing. A good time to be a gamer!

Wow, it looks much better than I expected.
I hadn't planned on purchasing this after that last disaster, but I'm reconsidering that.
I just hope Inquisition has more than one boring town and fewer repeating locations.

What does "premiere content first on XBOX one" mean? They cut some stuff out and have some sort of exclusivity deal with microsoft?

Found this link with some combat footage, left me feeling very meh. There seems to be no focus on pausing and giving orders or is that just to keep the presentaion "dramatic" for the E3 crowd?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUu7SXHThc

What does "premiere content first on XBOX one" mean? They cut some stuff out and have some sort of exclusivity deal with microsoft?

The first DLC will be Microsoft timed exclusive. They haven't announced any, it might release 6+ month after the game for all we know. It's just part of their contract with Microsoft to have the game on the xbox (and probably part of having the game shown in the Microsoft presentation too).

Seen that on twitch stream presentation already and I actually like that combat. :)
And there is a possibility to pause and give orders, it's just not shown in that vid.

There is something else I like even more. I'm 100% sure once you kill that dragon, it won't reappear 3425238549784532846382 times above mages' guild. :D

As for DLC… I'm not buying any pay2win crap any more. Can buy if it's standalone (like in FC3) or separate (like in DX:HR) from the main game.

Didn't we do that same fight with a Dragon in the last game in the mines or some place?

Yeah we did something similar in DA2, I think? I'm suspecting there will be a lot of dragon fights in DA3…

Graphics look so plastic-y…. I'm really more interested in story than the combat so those vids aren't really selling anything to me. If they don't tell us anything about Eluvian, Flemmeth and Morrigan's god baby, I'm not buying it.

Seen that on twitch stream presentation already and I actually like that combat. :)
And there is a possibility to pause and give orders, it's just not shown in that vid.

I thought it looked very MMO-ish with big colourful effects and twirling/jumping around on every attack which actually makes everything dull after a while since every attack has to be a super duper finishing type move. I might skip this one... Definitely not a must-buy.

It looks better than I expected based on previous trailers, screenshots and concept art. Still not blown away, but there was some pretty nice stuff in there.

I'm not going to say anything about the gameplay 'snippet'. As far as I am concerned that will have to wait until I've seen more gameplay vids or better yet, played a demo.

One last thing about it looking 'plasticy', though. I've seen that comment elsewhere. What is that some of you see? My own feeling is that one of the things that may hamper the visual design itself is that people, creatures, arms, armour, clothing, architecture and landscapes seem to have different levels of stylization, meaning sometimes more and sometimes less realistic-ish or stylized. Gives me a very odd feeling.
There's also the fact that some surfaces (sometimes skin, sometimes metal) look odd.

It looks better than I expected based on previous trailers, screenshots and concept art. Still not blown away, but there was some pretty nice stuff in there.

I'm not going to say anything about the gameplay 'snippet'. As far as I am concerned that will have to wait until I've seen more gameplay vids or better yet, played a demo.

One last thing about it looking 'plasticy', though. I've seen that comment elsewhere. What is that some of you see? My own feeling is that one of the things that may hamper the visual design itself is that people, creatures, arms, armour, clothing, architecture and landscapes seem to have different levels of stylization, meaning sometimes more and sometimes less realistic-ish or stylized. Gives me a very odd feeling.
There's also the fact that some surfaces (sometimes skin, sometimes metal) look odd.

Dito. I also had a feeling it looked plastic or rubber-made. Nothing compared to what TW3 looks.

Did they use a random name generator?

Blackwall, The Iron Bull, Sera, Cassandra Pentaghast...

I think it looks like a fun game. Graphics are okayish, but honestly, BioWare is still unable to make real faces that don't look like plastic. I remember this awkward love scenes from Origins. But to be fair, the whole game world looks like plastic.

On a sidenote: For a suit, Jim Wilson is really wearing an interesting piece of cloth. ;)

Did they use a random name generator?

Blackwall, The Iron Bull, Sera, Cassandra Pentaghast…

I don't think so or, to be more precise, it's possible they use EBoN for the 'culturally specific' names, like Anglo-Saxon names for some of the Fereldens and French for Orlesians. The others are all over the place, so I think they were 'originally' invented by the writers or perhaps taken from actual pen & paper RPG characters known to the devs. For instance Morrigan's name was taken from a character in a campaign Gaider participated in, if I remember correctly (he did not know it was a pagan Irish goddess).

A name like Cassandra Pentaghast looks like a quintessential fantasy name: Personal name taken from a character from Greek mythology (Iliad), surname based on a real-world one (Welsh Prendergast, originally probably a placename in Holland or Flanders. Post-Conquest medieval immigrants and all that) and changed a little to 'fantasy-fy' it. A ghast is a d&d monster if I remember it right.

A name like Cassandra Pentaghast looks like a quintessential fantasy name: Personal name taken from a character from Greek mythology (Iliad), surname based on a real-world one (Welsh Prendergast, originally probably a placename in Holland or Flanders. Post-Conquest medieval immigrants and all that) and changed a little to 'fantasy-fy' it. A ghast is a d&d monster if I remember it right.

Pentaghast also isn't that far from Pendragon, what leads to Uther Pendragon.

Will there only be these 4 companions? That would be far too little imho…

I remember Solas, Varric and Cassandra Pentaghast on top of these, maybe also Leliana.

Edit: See this pic

Last edited:
Pentaghast also isn't that far from Pendragon, what leads to Uther Pendragon.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say they took Prendergast as the 'base', then thought it fun to change it by way of combining the 'Penta' from 'Pentagram' and 'ghast' from some D&D monster manual. I can easily imagine them chuckling at their own naughty cleverness. I can actually appreciate that, it's a very recognisable DM-prank ;)

Back
Top Bottom