Divinity 2 - Job Openings

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I'm guessing we don't have too many readers from Oudenaarde in Belgium but it's the first "news" of Larian's next RPG project in a while. Openings for a character animator and dialog writer have come up and here's the intro on Larian's front page:
We're now in full production on our next-gen RPG and are looking for new people to join our team. Specifically, we're looking for dialog writers. If you think you've got what it takes to write stunning dialogs and know what makes an RPG tick, then you should get in touch with us. Click here for more details.
More information.

This game must be a long way from completion. It's taking a long time. They have been working on it for at least three years now. This will be my most anticipated game once it finally gets a release date.

My take on this is:
They started out doing DivDiv (after the demise of LMK with Attic) on their own with the strategy of backing the finances for their game by doing lucrative sideprojects on parallel.
When they felt ready, they went out seeking a publisher.

This gave them financial independence and creative freedom long into development cycle.
On the con side that one was of course prolonged through this split of workforce.

Feeling kind of established after the release and aiming for a change of the publisher (after not so great experiences with CDV) they struck a deal for Beyond Div rather at the beginning this time, following the rather common procedure in the business.
Although speeding up the creation it seems the restriction on creative freedom and the dev process they had to swallow through this, wasn´t their taste, though, it turned out.

That´s why they have reverted back to their original, tried and proven two-tier strategy of doing other, non-game related dev first and continously while engaging their new RPG at some point and a more moderate dev pace then (look to their news posted over the past months).
Hence the long silence RPG-wise.

A deviation of their former concept, though, is the rather late inclusion of the community into the process with asking for feedback and (limited !) suggestions.
Maybe that´s also owed to the tight workforce allocation (not enough room for early on, extensive community care that the discussions of the old demanded).

We might not even know for long `Div2´ is really in dev now or what extent of their resources they have put into yet up to now (3 years of sustained effort? I doubt so.).
Therefore we´re as much in the dark about a probable release date.
On the other hand they sounded quite advanced in their statements on the `NextGen RPG´ so far.
Basic programming is probably done (engine, dev tools ready and majorly complete).
So what´s left is likely the content filling (the mentioned job offers could be seen as an indication towards that).

After all, though, it everything remains quite speculative. ;)

Beyond Divinity came out slightly more than three years ago. Wouldn't they have started work on it immediately after that?

Also, they released some screenshots in May of '05, so I thought that they had put a substantial amount of work into it by then.

Last edited:
I've been thinking that Div 2 is vaporware. I guess we'll find out someday. So far, they seem to be working at a Cleve Blakemore pace. I may die of old age before their next game is released. I mean I'm in my 40's already :D

One of the major magazines had a big story about it in December, so I think that it's definitely not vaporware. I just worry that things aren't going very smoothly for it. Beyond Divinity didn't sell much. I wonder if there could be funding issues.

I would guess Ragon is probably pretty close. Larian do other work, so they're not reliant on BD's sales for their entire income. I also don't think it's vapourware - they've paid too much in licensed middleware.

Ragon is absolutely. And yes, Div 2 is far from being vaporized. We came a long way in the past and have tons of quite nice stuff on the backhand already. But its still too early to show. You know, its got to be as perfect as possible. But we will. And soon i hope. But being only an Artist that is not my decision.

Oh, and I thought I'd have to worship Ragon now ... ;)

Good to hear. Div2 is an automatic buy for me.

Oh no, no need to worry.
You could have just let it stand as it is, Marian.
"Ragon is absolutely."
Has some nice notion to it - at least when you´re asking me.
:smug: ^^

Back
Top Bottom