DA:O The Dragon Age "I Have It" Thread

Dragon Age: Origins
Well impressions so far

Sick game
And i can really notice the improvement of my rouge as i progress trough levels

Should get a spoiler forum up though because im incredibly stuck @ one place -.-

Guess ill try lower difficulty soon

In my office now (I had it shipped here since it was more direct) and it just arrived by UPS! It is going to be a loooong afternoon at work until I can get home and install!

Just picked it up from Best Buy. I haven't bought a CE of any game since BG2, which I believe is the last Bioware title I have purchased anyway. Well, I sprung for the CE in this case too. This is the last big name RPG to be released until Diablo 3 (RPG Lite), so I figured splurge. Can't wait to fire it up. I look forward to taking my time and exploring everything, much like in BG2, hope I'm not disappointed.

My GF just picked up my CE copy on her lunch break, now I just have to wait until she gets off work in about 4 hours. :)

Still another hour until Steam unlocks ... I finished Force Unleashed this morning to get rid of that 25GB as I assume there is more HD space required ...

I won't be getting this till X-Mas along with Risen.

Just grabbed the Collectors Edition at Best Buy. $70! Couldnt resist the metal box ;)
Installing now. I'm better than all of you because I have a cheap fabric map!

LOL! Whatever happened to POR2 ;)

But seriously, sounds like a polished NWN 2 w/o resting (auto regen) plus deep lore minus the depth and detail of the DnD ruleset (spells and combat in particular). The AI control sounds good though. Curious to hear if it is really effective.

So this is gonna be the one to resist. It took me all of a day to break down and run out and snap up Risen, i wonder how long the "i already have an entire shelf full of games" thing will last w/ this one lol ='.'=

I'm going to set the limitation that I must finish Risen first - on chapt 4 now going thru the priest's temples. Maybe by then you'll all say it sucks and it'll be easier

This game does have the depth and detail of DnD combat, IMO. The spells may be fewer in number, but that doesn't mean much. DnD has a lot of duplicate spells, this game does not. It's a system designed for a CRPG, too, which helps.

It does feel a bit like 'what NWN2 should have been'. If you loved BG2, and kinda liked NWN2 even though you were dissapointed with it, then you will love this game.

The rapid out of combat regen is a good thing, because the game is balanced around it. NWN2 was not properly balanced for the rest system they had implemented.

The choice and consequence is well done, I think. There have been a few that I've really struggled with. The 'evil' choices aren't so much evil as... expidient, I guess. Do you take a risk that could result in disaster? Well, the other option is to do something pretty awful that I cringed at doing. These are the kinds of choices you will face, and it's not really clear-cut which is the 'good' option. The game engages your emotions effectively, and that just makes the choices all the more meaningful.

I do find I need to stop playing to 'take a breath', so to speak, every now and again. I haven't felt this... involved in a gaming experience since Bioshock.

Well I've got my CE copy and I'm installing it now. Won't start playing until much later tonight though, I need to hit the gym, and then shower/eat dinner first.

Kind of torn on what character to choose though, at first Human Warrior seemed like a sure thing, but a City Elf Rogue or Warrior is enticing.

The cloth map looks nice, but seems poorly made, mine has lots of threads hanging off the edges.

I have it, for the 360. Plan to disappear for a while, soak up the introductory portions and aspects of the strategy guide. Yes, I bought the strategy guide. Don't make fun of me too much. I'm a console boy, and I'm a little leery of all the talk of how hard this game is going to be, from my PC brethren. I'd like to know what I'm doing, more or less, or at least I feel like I might need a leg up. Also, this is the sort of game I want to savor and enjoy in depth, and the guide will help me with that.

I'll probably be avoiding forums for a while, to avoid inadvertent spoilers and other people's impressions. I like to keep my head a blank slate, go in fresh, experience the game for myself without the distraction of other people's opinions bouncing around in there.

So, enjoy, everyone! I'll join the chorus of impressions after I've had some time with the game.

I just bought it today, and entered my DLC codes; yet none of them are appearing in the downloadable content menu. Anyone know if it takes like an hour or so for them to appear? I'm 100% positive my bioware social account and in game logged in account are the same.

It took some time to appear. If it said the codes had been accepted then it should eventually work. Once in game you need to re-log in to their servers and use the middle tab. Mine were still downloading. Eventually they showed up.

I'm having problems with the DLC codes and registering the game on the Bioware social site as well. Registered just fine on the EA site (not that that matters much). This is with a retail hard copy of the CE.

It keeps telling me the code is not valid for my game when it worked just fine to install the game itself. And the DLC codes are just wonky, all of them gave me an error the first time or two I tried and then finally gave me a combination of a red error message and a green "codes installed correctly" message. None of the DLC is available in game though so apparently it's still borked.

Thankfully you don't have to actually register to play the game. It'll just give me an excuse to start over with another origin/class when the DLC & CE goodies finally work.

Oh, and the game is fantastic so far. The Tactics system (party combat AI scripting) is taking some getting used to and seems odd that you must spend skill points to open up more slots for directing their AI. But I'm getting the hang of it.

My cloth map has the frayed/thready edges too. Was thinking about running a line of hot was down each edge but then the map wouldn't be foldable. Oh well, still a pretty little map.

Back
Top Bottom