Retrospective: Gothic 1

Many games have been coined "Action-RPG" over the years. One of the most obvious examples would be Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. It goes back all the way to games like Gauntlet - and even further. System Shock 2 from 1999 is another obvious example.

As captain obvious, I can safely say that, obviously, nothing is obvious enough for Thrasher ;)

I also remember "Action RPG" originally being used for Diablo and Diablo clones. However, that label has broadened quite some time ago, and I would today consider it to encompass both Diablo and decendants as well as games like Gothic, Divinity II, probably even Dark Souls - all games with enough RPG elements to fit the RPG label that use an action driven, player skill dependent, exclusively or primarily real-time combat system. Since its so broad its only moderately useful - Thus Skyrim would be an action RPG, but its usually more useful to call it a sandbox RPG, because thats a more defining characteristic.

For me:
Action CRPG = CRPG with real time combat (contrary to CRPGs with turn based combat or combat with pause)

I also remember "Action RPG" originally being used for Diablo and Diablo clones. However, that label has broadened quite some time ago, and I would today consider it to encompass both Diablo and decendants as well as games like Gothic, Divinity II, probably even Dark Souls - all games with enough RPG elements to fit the RPG label that use an action driven, player skill dependent, exclusively or primarily real-time combat system. Since its so broad its only moderately useful - Thus Skyrim would be an action RPG, but its usually more useful to call it a sandbox RPG, because thats a more defining characteristic.

Yes, that's my point. The word "action-RPG" started with Diablo as I've read the reviews going back to games that even predated Diablo, and the use of the word "action-RPG" is not there. JDR needs to give us examples reviews/articles that predate Diablo to validate his point.

Dart's example of Gauntlet being called an "action-RPG" at the time, of course, has no evidence to support that. As usual, he's talking out of his nether regions again, and would rather insult that actually provide anything constructive to the conversation unless it's about him. But then who cares? :)

Yes, that's my point. The word "action-RPG" started with Diablo as I've read the reviews going back to games that even predated Diablo, and the use of the word "action-RPG" is not there. JDR needs to give us examples reviews/articles that predate Diablo to validate his point.

GhanBuriGhan didn't say the term "started" with Diablo, he said he remembers it being used. I also remember it being used as well along with "hack and Slash" and "point and click". Diablo was called a lot of things, action-RPG was just one of them.

Those of us who were actually playing RPGs prior to Diablo don't need to read reviews. We were there.

I didn't know you made the rules here, but it's especially humerous seeing as how we're discussing a topic that obviously predates your involvement.

Despite the fact that it isn't exactly easy to still find internet reviews that old, it only took me about 5 minutes to find at least one that uses the term "action-RPG", and it's from 1997.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain

Now why don't you go argue with a mechanic about how you know more about cars than he does. ;)

Can't wait to hear the bullshit excuse that will get Thrasher out of that one in his fantasy world ;)

I'm glad you finally were capable enough to understand the point of this whole debate. Thank you for that reference. I've been proven wrong, I'll admit it. Unlike the dainty Danish douchebag.

Last edited:
Lol
http://otakuworld.com/jennifer/revu/snes/bigsky.html
If your tastes can encompass a quirky, heartfelt little mutant of an Action Role Play Game, a kind of Mr. Potato Head riding a Play-Dough Rocket through the pages of Theodore Sturgeon's 'Bill The Galactic Hero' by way of Heinlein's 'Starship Troopers', then I can definitely recommend this weird little charmer. If you cannot handle sincere, cute Science Fiction wackiness, this may not be your cup of Spoo.

Oh and : Genre Adventure Game-- Action Role Playing Game
Reviewed by Jennifer Diane Reitz, Oct. 23 1995

Back
Top Bottom