Fallout 3 - FAQ & Indirect Interview @ NMA

Dhruin

SasqWatch
If you're overwhelmed with all the Fallout 3 previews, NMA has constructed a FAQ from preview quotes, which works quite well and is easy to read.
In addition, they have an interview with Critical Hits' Bartoneus who attended the demo (their preview was linked yesterday) to dig further into some points:
VATS. Ok, so I can pause to aim. Does that mean where I aim in RT doesn't matter, i.e. if I click on the head I'd still hit the torso, in RT? Also, when in VATS, can any actions be taken, or is it just cuing actions to happen?

Correct that VATS is a pause to aim idea, but from what I saw and heard at the event the Realtime play is like any other realtime game with shooting, if you aim and actually hit the head the same effects would apply as a called shot. Again, I'm not certain, and anything about that is conjecture based on the gameplay that was shown. From what I can tell, VATS is purely a system for queuing actions and that is all, we did not get to see if your inventory can be accessed/used while paused or if that would use action points also.
More information.

Sounds like they borrowed the Knights of the old republic approach regarding combat, and twisting it into a FPS view. Will be interesting to see it at work.

And i like the levelling thing. Hm, i like more and more of the news coming out from this one!

If one can really play combat mostly in VATS as the interview implies, it may be a little better than I gave it credit for so far. But that will supposedly depend very much on the difficulty of the individual fight.

If one can really play combat mostly in VATS as the interview implies, it may be a little better than I gave it credit for so far. But that will supposedly depend very much on the difficulty of the individual fight.

Trying not to assume too much, it still seems unlikely you'll be able to stick exclusively to VATS. Run 'n gun might be discouraged by limited ammo, but run'n'hit with a sledge hammer won't be. Besides, either way you'll still have to run, away.

I liked his info on dialogue better. Sounds better than we've heard so far.

not to nitpick but its spelled queueing (even though firefox doesn't think so)

the only reason I bring it up is that it has the longest number of consecutive vowels in an English word.

Not bad, Lucky Day.

Well actually, there's cueing and queueing!! Similar functions, but different words!!

Well actually, there's cueing and queueing!! Similar functions, but different words!!

queuing and cuing mean roughly the same thing, to put in a queue or to cue, i.e. prompt.

Though queuing is more appropriate here

Back
Top Bottom