Forbes - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Forbes reviews and unboxes the new Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. For the record it's not the PC game, but the table top version.
pathfinder-beginner-box.jpg

Call it the Pathfinder Cinematic Roleplaying System and borrow heavily from some of the marvelous indie d20 games on the market (as well as from other modern gaming systems which place more emphasis on character, roleplaying, and tough moral choices rather than combat.)
Fortunately, the adventures and system is also compatible with myriad d20 variants, so it’s no problem integrating the adventures and setting with games like Microlite20 (which has its own Pathfinder version) or Legend or any other d20-based system.
Meanwhile, for anyone who enjoys a solid book in hand with lots of other products to choose from, the Beginner Box is a great entry point. Moving on from there to the other Paizo books is simple enough, and there’s simply no denying that the artwork and production value in all of these products is top-notch—a great way to have the books themselves help deepen player immersion in the game world.
More information.

Yay, Pathfinder. My current tabletop RPG of choice. And quite likely my favorite for quite a while to come. Very nice system.

One of our comments on the difference between Pathfinder and D&D is that over the last few years, designers seemed to design D&D mechanics-first: They'd create a mechanic (usually pretty obviously - like, "How about a cleric class who uses spells like a sorcerer?") - and then force a context that works. Pathfinder - to us, at least - seems to take a more traditional approach and comes up with a really cool concept, and then designs mechanics to match.

Interesting. I've never played D&D except for some 4th ed one-offs with RPGA. I've always had the impression that the system is simply refined "3.75" which sounds more like they concentrated on the mechanics.

I do have the Inner Sea guide, though, and boy howdy do they have volumes of material they can cover. Maybe they're like the Bethsoft of PnP. They do scale and boy do they do scale.

Cool to see it covered on Forbes, if perhaps a little late to the party (that box came out in 2011 I think?). I've heard great things about it. I've played Pathfinder off-and-on since the beta rules came out and it's definitely my favorite of the modern systems. I alternate between that and old-school D&D / AD&D (basic or 1st edition), and lately Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Is it just me who finds it strange to see this kind of articles on forbes?

At least me I always associate them with Top 50 richest people in the world and such a things...

Ehm, what's the difference between this and that other Pathfinder ruleset?

This is a boardgame?

3.75th Ed. D&D, eh? I have considered getting this a couple times, but then I don't really have a P&P group anymore.
I have a rather extensive collection of 3rd Ed. What are the differences? Do they mix well?

I think a single player Pathfinder CRPG might be nice, to give us an idea, at the very least...

Back
Top Bottom