Avadon 2 - Review @ Softpedia

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Softpedia has posted a new review for Spiderweb Software's Avadon 2.

Considering the scope of the game and the size of the studio, it’s not all that bad. The story has its twists and turns, there are many optional dungeons and quests, your companions have their own motivations and beliefs and remember whether you agreed or disagreed with them, there’s a bit of a moral quandary hovering about, and there are many solid hours of exploring packed in this little gem.

It may not be a streamlined experience entirely worthy of our times, but it certainly plays the nostalgia card right. Unfortunately, it takes both the good and the bad, not managing to bring enough new blood into the genre, being content with just being more of the old stuff.

If you liked the Ultima series or remember having a lot of fun with Dark Sun, then you’re certainly going to love Avadon 2: The Corruption. The game is tailor-made for die-hard classic role-playing fans and it doesn’t pretend to be anything it’s not.

If you can stomach the graphics and its archaic pitfalls, it offers countless hours of fun and exploration, a good story, and an overall rewarding and enthralling experience. Above all, what it may lack in visuals and polish, it makes up for in soul. It is truly a game that has a lot to offer beyond its quaint presentation.
More information.

The Text makes sense for the most part, but the ratings...:

Story: 8/10
Gameplay: 7/10
Concept: 7/10
Graphics: 8/10
Audio: 6/10
Multiplayer: 0/10
Overall: 7.5/10

So obviously graphics are the strongest point of Avadon 2 ;)
Also don't see how this game can ever receive 6/10 for sound.

Well Spiderweb Software is not known for good music, or audio in their games. I don't even think it should be a part of any review to rate a games audio.

Graphics are not that bad either, but his games could use a graphic overhaul.
Another strange score is the Multiplayer rating of 0/10. Why even include that?

I'll still take that 7.5 as the game deserves it. Can't argue with that. It should of been at least a 8/10 in my opinion though.:biggrin:

Anyway the positive and negative part looks better than the numbers.
gen_check_2.gif
The good:
+ Very long
+ Evocative of classics
+ Lots of narrative
+ Replayability

error_16.gif
The bad:
- Looks and feels archaic
- Repetitive
- Many glitches
- Sound issues

rating_16.gif
Final score: 7.5 / 10

Last edited:
I don't even think it should be a part of any review to rate a games audio.
Care to elaborate, please ? I can understand your point, regarding the music department, as taste may vary but about the environment and other sounds ? Audio quality is a major asset in most games so why shouldn't testers rate this ?!

+ Evocative of classics

Hard to have one without the other! ;)

+ Evocative of classics

Hard to have one without the other! ;)

Not really...you can evoke the classics with at least somewhat updated graphics. Eschalon does this for instance.

I would actually prefer some music tracks in the Spiderweb games over enhanced graphics :). I do like all of the Spiderweb RPGs, but some extra background music could go a long way to adding atmosphere. It was an odd choice to even include multi-player in the score, since the game did not fail at having multi-player, as it was clearly designed to be a single-player experience. I will definitely be playing this game after I finish Geneforge and Underrail.

Back
Top Bottom