What games are you playing now?

That's cool - we just differ on that.

Sure, I enjoy more an immersive and belivable rpg to play and the Gothics and Gothic 3 provided that (and fallout New Vegas). Their stories and locations were all interesting and provided significant drive and urgency to continue to explore, which I did not find in Skyrim.

I totally realise the wealth of features in Skyrim that exceeded others and gave tremendous freedom for character creation, but were a mere cover for a shallow and forgettable experience (in my view) that has instant health/mana regeneration and many buttons of 'AWSOME'.

I hope that Obsidian get their hands on the Skyrim engine (which I think is remarkable) and do a decent rpg.

Trying to decide between Might & Magic X or Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall while waiting on more patches for D:OS.

I've been trying Might and Magic X, but it's just not grabbing me. I think it just doesn't feel quite right and lots of little things are keeping me from getting the most out of it. I might give it a rest and come back to it a bit later on.

I ended up going with Shadowrun Dragonfall, and that's not grabbing me so far. Or at least not after the first couple of hours. I wonder if I would like M&M X more. What is it exactly that you're not liking about it?

I ended up going with Shadowrun Dragonfall, and that's not grabbing me so far. Or at least not after the first couple of hours. I wonder if I would like M&M X more. What is it exactly that you're not liking about it?

I don't really dislike it, but it's just not doing anything for me. A few things annoy me, like having really limited spells and equipment options right out of the gate. I mean, I can go into a shop and see magic armor that's well out of my price range, but they don't sell any normal starting armor. My crusader still doesn't have any armor, even several levels into the game. You also start off fighting lots of enemies that use poison, which is always annoying.

I think I could enjoy it in the right mood, but at the moment I kind of feel like I could just go play World of Xeen again instead.

I've started another playthrough of Last of Us on Survivor. Seems that in order to play the last difficulty setting, I have to plunk down another 4 pounds. F-ing Sony greedy bastards. I'll have to play that when I get the remastered PS4 edition which comes with all content included.

I've also started playing Okami HD for the first time. It's quite different from other games. And I like the ingenious painting mechanic.

I got the Doom 3 BFG edition from steam, since it was so cheap. And, played through the first episode of Doom 1. I forgot how amazing Doom was. Just played all the way through using just the shotgun. Love the sound effects of that weapon.

Yep, early Doom is amazing. Even today it's a lot of fun to play and will still scare the crap out of you at times, especially on the harder difficulties.

I think Doom 3 was the worst game in the series by far, though. It just didn't capture the atmosphere of the first Doom games, IMO, and wasn't really true to the spirit of the series either.

But hey, hope you have fun with it and it's cool to see people enjoying that series even today. Great, great games!

Doom is great. I'm/was into quake, ut, etc. Hence I don't mind RPGs that requires heavy twitch skills. Not enough of them.

Did I mention I'm having a blast with unepic ? Heavily recommended.

Edit, it's sad that id software is whittering away

Talking of ol' classics, I'm playing Broken Sword II at the moment.

"Please insert disk 2" LOL

But yeah, cool game.

AHHHHGGG, BUT I COULDN'T GET THE CAT TO MOVE, HAD TO GOOGLE, NOW I HATE MYSELF!"

Other than that and it's a most enjoyable breeze.

I've no idea what age restriction it carries, but it's like a children's Disney movie only they say things like "horseshit" every now and then inbetween otherwise perfect politeness :D

I just received my Diablo Battle Chest in the mail! It's a little chest/box with Diablo II, the expansion, a strategy guide, manuals, a WoW free trial and the first Diablo game.

After a little tinkering around, I got Diablo II installed with the expansion and running perfectly in Windows 7 64-bit :).

Sadly, the first Diablo game was missing from this set, so I'll have to buy that separately sometime (I got some money refunded from the seller on Ebay, thankfully).

But yeah, it's great to be playing this game again. I still love the looks of it and in some ways prefer Diablo II's style of isometric graphics over the look of Diablo III.

Still playing Baldur's Gate 2 as well but taking a little break from it for some more hack n' slash loot-fest action :).

I think Doom 3 was the worst game in the series by far, though. It just didn't capture the atmosphere of the first Doom games, IMO, and wasn't really true to the spirit of the series either.

If you were expecting another Doom II, yeah. Doom 3 is pretty good for what it is. The problem is that a lot of people assumed it was a sequel to the first two games when it wasn't. It's more of a first-person survival horror game than a shooter. Doom 4 is supposedly going to be closer to the style of the original games.

Doom is great. I'm/was into quake, ut, etc. Hence I don't mind RPGs that requires heavy twitch skills. Not enough of them.

Did I mention I'm having a blast with unepic ? Heavily recommended.

Edit, it's sad that id software is whittering away.

I purchased Unepic recently during a Steam sale, but I've yet give it a serious try. I was initially turned off by how small the sprites are.

Regarding id.. yeah, it's been a long time since they did anything memorable. Rage was a pretty big letdown, and I'm hoping they can redeem themselves with Doom 4. Otherwise, they should just stick to developing engines from now on.

If you were expecting another Doom II, yeah. Doom 3 is pretty good for what it is. The problem is that a lot of people assumed it was a sequel to the first two games when it wasn't. It's more of a first-person survival horror game than a shooter. Doom 4 is supposedly going to be closer to the style of the original games.

My dad and I are 2 of the biggest Doom fans ever. We played all the early games hundreds of times. My dad knows those levels so well he can tell you exactly where each secret is, what wall will open up, what enemies are behind what doors, etc.

Anyway, when Doom 3 was coming out we were VERY excited. When we finally got the game, though, it was a huge disappointment. We were hoping for more of what we loved about Doom, but got something completely different. And no, back then we didn't follow the game closely before buying to know what it was like. I'm not even sure we had internet then, lol.

So, I'm hoping Doom 4 goes back to the roots. If not, though, the original games are still fun to play.

I'm with Fluent on Doom 1, 2 and 3. I played those games so often that I know the levels, secrets etc. by heart. I was so excited when Doom 3 was announced - and severely disappointed when t finally arrived. When I replayed it two or three years later, I discovered that it wasn't a bad game at all -nice story, nice execution ... it was just not Doom for me. Different atmosphere. What little I saw and read of Doom 4 (the Cyberdemon :p) lets me hope again.

Quake 4 wasn't as great as Quake 2 IMO, but it was faithful in atmosphere and execution ... and the story was pretty much what I had written as a Quake 2 fanfic back then, so I was actually satisfied with the package.

Quake 4 wasn't as great as Quake 2 IMO, but it was faithful in atmosphere and execution … and the story was pretty much what I had written as a Quake 2 fanfic back then, so I was actually satisfied with the package.

"I played my own game !" LOL :lol:

I got bored with Doom within a few days - after I picked up my jaw from the floor in amazement of how it looked and performed. But the actual game was dull as dishwater, for me.

It didn't help matters much that I had a friend who didn't have a PC - and just as Doom came out, he "strangely" came visiting a lot more often, and would take over my PC and just play Doom for hours on end, and he just wouldn't shut up about it.

I ended up hating that game with a passion ;)

As for Doom 3, I think it's clearly the superior experience - and it was also extremely beautiful and quite scary at release. Of course, it can't hold a candle to System Shock or anything - but it did borrow some of the design with the audio logs, which was probably the best part of the game.

I actually completed it, which is rare for me when it's a pure shooter.

I purchased Unepic recently during a Steam sale, but I've yet give it a serious try. I was initially turned off by how small the sprites are.
You can zoom in a little. The look and feel is exactly the thing i like. It is addicting as hell, always just a little more: the next screen/region, a new pet, weapon, etc. Don't expect something deep or non linear

I just started playing the newest Tomb Raider today and all I can say is "Wow!" It's linear, limited exploration, and has lots of QTEs but I can't remember the last time a game had me so... not on edge, but alert. It does a really good job of capturing the theme of shipwrecking on an island with hostile "natives". I'm quite impressed with how engrossing it's been so far.

I just played VtM: Bloodlines for the first time this week, mainly because of seeing it mentioned on people's top ten lists here.

I loved it for the first half, loved it a little less toward the end, but all in all pretty great.

(I'm a Tremere. I have a douchey silk shirt and an eyebrow piercing, and I can make you spit blood just by standing next to you.)

I just played VtM: Bloodlines for the first time this week, mainly because of seeing it mentioned on people's top ten lists here.
Heartfelt jealousy projected in your direction. Ah, the first time ... Make sure to at some point replay the game as a raving lunat.. I mean, Malkavian. Did you play with Wesp's patch? Personally, I'd use it with all modifications turned on.

I just started playing the newest Tomb Raider today and all I can say is "Wow!" It's linear, limited exploration, and has lots of QTEs but I can't remember the last time a game had me so… not on edge, but alert. It does a really good job of capturing the theme of shipwrecking on an island with hostile "natives". I'm quite impressed with how engrossing it's been so far.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Tomb Raider reboot as well. It wasn't great, but it was a lot better than I was expecting, and it's much better than the previous games in the series imo. It also runs surprisingly smooth on lower-end hardware and looks great.

Back
Top Bottom