Dragon Age - Debut Trailer @ Gametrailers

Dhruin

SasqWatch
As promised, the Gametrailers-exclusive world debut trailer for BioWare's Dragon Age: Origins is now online.
The 60-second trailer offers around 30 seconds of in-engine footage (although whether this is representative of the gameplay is unclear), once you take out the long logo sequences. The video shows the start of a bloody pitched battle with two sides clashing and does look suitably impressive - if reminiscent of a scene from a LotR movie.
Thanks, Jabu!
More information.

A pretty neat video, but it didn't actually show us any gameplay. I'm still waiting for the first screenshots/videos of gameplay (I recall some pictures being out several years ago, but I assume those are outdated by now).

It was adequate for what it was intended - get mainstream audiences tracking E3 stuff interested in the game again. The goal has got to be to sell the ~2 million copies that NWN managed. I expect no more from a 'teaser' anymore.

Hopefully when they have gameplay clips they will paint a somewhat more compelling picture. This is next to useless in that respect, being effectively a cut-scene - they should have called it that really - that gives little of the flavour of the world etc.

Watching this trailer on gametrailers.com makes me think whether DA: Origins will be a real RPG game or a RTS/RPG hybrid. The footage shown in this trailer clearly reminded me of some battle scenes in LOTR, especially the battle for Helms Deep.

The trailer felt cinematic, though...

Hopefully when they have gameplay clips they will paint a somewhat more compelling picture. This is next to useless in that respect, being effectively a cut-scene - they should have called it that really - that gives little of the flavour of the world etc.

Agree, but I don't think it even gave much of a feel of the world. I came away with nothing nothing but an impression of baroque armor. And even that's hardly unique, since apparently every fantasy developer feels that better graphical horsepower should be put to use in making armor and weapons more ornate. And more dingy.

Are there supposed to be dragons, or is the title just an acknowledgement of the game's generic fantasy nature? That would be my first question if this trailer were the first I'd seen of the game.

Are there supposed to be dragons, or is the title just an acknowledgement of the game's generic fantasy nature? That would be my first question if this trailer were the first I'd seen of the game.

Sorry, for the almost double post, but I would just like the comment on this quote.

Yes, there wiull be dragons. However, they will not be similar to the dragons in D&D; they are more like forces of nature. Ordinary people like farmers and craftsmen probably won't see a dragon in their lifetime.

I don''t think this game, DA: Origens will be generic fantasy at all...

Too short to tell much about anything except that this was very high quality, competent work--as one would expect from Bioware--it does definitely live up to the name of "teaser" though.

The official forums say that another trailer will be released on Sunday, also on gametrailers. It will be a slight variation of the first one.

Chris Priestly@Bioware said:
As I posted in teh first video trailer, this second video is a slightly different version from the first. It is not an entirely "new" video as much of the contesnt is the same between the two.

still, the difference is quite striking and offers a different glimpse into combat. Sort of.

I must say that I'm a bit confused about WHY Bioware would choose to release a cinematic teaser that not only makes little sense (something about a king and a "blight") but also STILL shows nothing about what Dragon Age is going to look like or play like (game mechanics).

I'm not going to claim that a new bar has been set but compared to Blizzard's Diablo3 unveiling last week I must admit that Bioware's Dragon Age unveiling feels a bit tame.

Last edited:
I think Bioware probably just were taken by surprise by the announcement of Diablo 3 and then maybe hastily? put together a trailer of what they had?

To me, the trailer just peeked my interest in this game. Bioware is doing what every good artist is doing, keep them wanting coming back for more.

I bet in the coming weeks and in the coming weeks we will be overfed with gameplay trailers and info on this game...

Also, it is not an unveiling of the game...it is a teaser trailer...to peek people's interest in the game up to the upcoming E3 event...

No, they would have been planning this for a long time. It's pretty standard practice to do a pre-E3 "reveal" and teaser. They might have been surprised at the extent of Blizzard's revelation but I doubt it had any impact on their process at all.

What they misread is the mood of gamers in terms of getting a teaser for a 4-year old game. That said, they'll show more at E3 and everything will be forgotten.

Looks like they got Peter Jackson to direct to me.

Is that me? Or does the direction looks very similar to the recent LotR films?

No, not just you. :)

Just checked Gametrailers and no new videos as yet..

The next trailer for DA: Origins should be up in a little while as it will be up about 9 AM Pacific time = 6PM Danish time. (or 5 PM British time).

I really do hope it is a different trailer, though, or at least a different view on the trailer we saw yesterday...

I liked the second one more. Graphics-wise it looks good.

EDIT: After downloading the HD one and viewing it fullscreen, I must say I'm really impressed. Looks great. The second one should have been released first.

And it lost a bit of the LOTR-ish feel. Which is a good thing.

Last edited:
You guys beat me--but it's up on the front page now.
Did you really think it was that different? I had a hard time telling it apart from the first one. :)

You guys beat me--but it's up on the front page now.
Did you really think it was that different? I had a hard time telling it apart from the first one. :)

Yeah, I felt it was different. First of all I noticed how high in detail the characters were. In the first one some of them looked rather ugly. Textures looked better in this one, and the lighting was also better. And there were a couple of frames featuring large armies. And it felt less like LOTR, for me at least.

Back
Top Bottom