Nox - Netbook Review @ GearDiary

magerette

Hedgewitch
Michael Anderson (txa1265) does a retrospective review of Westwood's 2000 action RPG, Nox, in his netbook review series over at GearDiary.
Here's a snip:
There are occasional side-quests, but the main point of interest is that each character class plays the game very differently … leading to instant replayability. There are three classes, and each one has a significantly different starting tale.
This is along the lines of what was done in Dragon Age: Origins, only a decade earlier – and it really helps cater the game to the character you play, so that even as things align to a central story you have made enough choices and connections to your character that the remainder of the game feels different.
More information.

One of the few games where I actually liked playing a mage :p

Nox is an enjoyable action RPG. Although its' RPG part is pretty shallow, its' action part is more than any Diablo style game. At least you can attack the enemy and walking at the same time. Sometimes it resembles so much to the platform games, but avoiding traps and jumping over lava wasn't a problem for me when I played it. When Nox was released in 2000, its' dynamic lighting and shadow system was ahead of its time and effect the gameplay positively. Senario's changing according to the character you choose is also a bonus. If you like 2d isometric RPGs and haven't tried it yet give it a chance.

I like Nox a lot actually. It's certainly not a heavy RPG by any means, but it's a very good, light-weight action RPG. I like how the story unfolds slightly differently depending on the class (especially the beginning/end, but also certain quests in the middle).

I've replayed it quite a few times with each class, and I still enjoy it whenever I do. In fact, I replayed it not too long ago.

Even the multiplayer part was good fun back in the days.

For me, Nox ranks along with Avencast as one of those hidden gems. Unique and charming ;-)

Great game. Faster than Diablo by reducing the loot aspect. The stuff you find is often needed to keep going.

I liked the game. Although it became quite long for my taste.

I srtill regard its look as "cute". ;)

Talk about deja vu'! I have just tried to reinstall this game on my PC to play it again but it doesn't like one of the following: my dual core cpu (socket 939), my 9600GT video card, or my 24" Samsung and its ratio. The monitor shows a flickering, disjointed screen even with patch 1.2 applied.

I then tried installing it on my old Tecra S1 laptop and it loaded fine and the screen is fine but I can't get any sound. Probably the onboard sound is not condusive to audio requirements.

I love this gem of a game and found the Conjurer class my favorite of the three. It is a very unique mixture of fighter/wizard and the spells are really cool. It may be simple in design but there is a lot of creativity that went into it as well. Sometimes it is just fun to play an RPG without having to put alot of brain power into tactics or character shaping. Anyone know how well it sold (just curious).

Great to see so many veterans of RPGs like it. Thanks for posting this.

With Nox's release at GOG.com today I knew I could come here for some info and I did with Michael Anderson's really excellent retro-review.

Going to be picking this one up today, even if there is just a hint of Divine Divinity in it that's enough for me.

Thanks Warmark twice - once for the nice words on my review, and also for pointing this out! Love Nox, will have to grab it from GoG right now!

Back
Top Bottom