JoWooD - Looking for Partners for Action RPG

magerette

Hedgewitch
JoWood Productions has posted an announcement on their website solicting partners to assist in developing a new action rpg based on an existing un-named JoWood IP, for the PC, Xbox and PS3:
April 28, 2008 (Vienna, AUSTRIA):
Vienna, AUSTRIA, April 28th 2008: JoWooD Productions, a leading worldwide publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment software, today announced it is soliciting proposals from independent developers who wish to create a new Action RPG game based on one of JoWooD’s established brands.

The publisher is focused on innovation in game design for this project, destined for Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Windows PC. The Intellectual Property which will support this new game is renowned for an epic background story as well as exceptional graphics and polish.
More information.

My guess would be a SpellForce aRPG.

Sounds reasonable. I doubt its Europa 1400: the Guild. ;)

Are you sure about that Gorath cause i went to Phenomic's website and it says they are a division of EA www.phenomic.net. Does jowood own that ip cause to me at least i would of thought that EA would of taken over phenomic on the footing that they would at least be able to expand on the successful ip. oh well you must be right cause you know almost all there is to know about german game dev's so another spell force it is.

Are you sure about that Gorath cause i went to Phenomic's website and it says they are a division of EA www.phenomic.net. Does jowood own that ip cause to me at least i would of thought that EA would of taken over phenomic on the footing that they would at least be able to expand on the successful ip. oh well you must be right cause you know almost all there is to know about german game dev's so another spell force it is.

EA bought Phenomic, but not the IP.

In this case I´m only guessing without even the slightest piece of evidence. The complete candidate list includes:

1. G3 add-on
2. SpellForce 3
3. SpellForce brand extension into aRPG
4. Dungeon Lords 2
5. Arx 2
6. The Guild 3
7. The Guild 2 add-on 2

Comments:
1. possible, dev still tba; but: JoWooD implied it´s already in the works
2. possible, should be already in development for quite some time though
3. the most likely possibility IMHO
4. see 2.
5. I´m 99.99% sure Arkane owns the Arx Fatalis brand.
6. possible but no aRPG
7. probably too late because it has already been announced

The hints that the game will be in one of JoWooD´s main franchises and that the series is known for an epic story, great graphics and a lot of polish all point to SpellForce. SpellForce 2 was strong in all mentioned points. Proven by the fact that EA bought Phenomic shortly after the release. ;)

Sounds reasonable. I doubt its Europa 1400: the Guild. ;)
Probably not. I suspect they hired some cheap developer to make the 2nd Guild 2 add-on. 4Head is probably no longer available since dtp / Anaconda revitalized them after the bankruptcy.

"The Guild" is not an arpg series so if it is based upon that it would be seperate from the main series.

I don't think they own "Arx Fatalis" since when they originally started on 2 it was Arkane that had made the decision and then they made the decision to stop making it and make a crappy game. I think if any information comes out about "Arx Fatalis 2" then it will come from Arkane.

With "Spellforce" it would also have to be a spinoff like with "The Guild" since that is a strategy/rpg and not a arpg.

The "Gothic 3" addon is already in production from what the announcement so is not likely. With a further "Gothic" game they would get done with 4 before going with a fifth one and the fifth one is likely with the same developer.

Making "Dungeon Lords 2" could be what they are doing but I thought it was already in production.

It is most likely going to be a spinoff of "The Guild" or "Spellforce" but could be based on any of their properties.

Does anybody have the yearly results for JoWooD and CDV? Both were released today.
The other interesting news is that Koch Media announced they´ll open Deep Silver USA. Which answers the question who will ship the next PB game.

Now I´m even more sure that I´m right. JoWooD announced a cooperation with the BVT Games Fund IV. A "possible project" is SpellForce RPG.

Isn't Phenomic sold to EA which means EA now has the rights to Spellforce?
If not, I'd love Spellforce to stay the mixed genre it is, converting it to an ARPG will spoil the IP for me.

Yes, Phenomic is sold.
No, EA hasn't got the rights, JoWood still has 'em.

I guess SpellForce always belonged to JoWooD because they got the IP when they financed the first game.

A normal SF3 is probably already in development somewhere. The RPG is a brand extension.

Back
Top Bottom