GOG - New DRM-Free Galaxy Platform

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Last edited:
*Insert epic guitar solo here*

As long as it's optional, more choices are always good.

right.. i love my drm. No Drm is a chore nowadays

Unless they can change many dev's minds they won't have a big enough library to compete with steam.

They can either compete with steam or stay DRM free, I don't see them being able to do both.

They're already competing with Steam. Or are you saying they'll never "beat" steam?

Another way to put it is: as long as they're DRM-free they'll have my support, and the support of many many other gamers.

I'll tell you one thing.. Whenever there is a choice, I'll take DRM free EVERY time..

They're already competing with Steam. Or are you saying they'll never "beat" steam?

Another way to put it is: as long as they're DRM-free they'll have my support, and the support of many many other gamers.

Yes their competing but their not competition for steam.

Steam has a huge head start and will always have a much larger library due to having DRM.

I would be all for GOG proving me wrong though.

GOG could compete on curatorship because Steam is terrible in that regard. Any old unoptimised crap can get on it and slapping Early Access on something will even allow quick cash-in turds to be allowed to be sold.

And from the start of Steam, if you made your crappy game in Source engine you were guaranteed to be able to sell on the Steam platform with absolutely no Quality Control.

Of course there is a risk GOG Galaxy turns into another Steam, letting every piece of crap in, but that would be GOG squandering a unique selling point.

Yes their competing but their not competition for steam.

Steam has a huge head start and will always have a much larger library due to having DRM.

I would be all for GOG proving me wrong though.

Nothing is a real competition in market share for steam at this point and i doubt galaxy will change that.
What do you expect though ?
As long as 90% of the gaming population accepts basically renting games for full price and accepts any brainfart thrown their way publishers will go to the platform that let's them extort the player base the best.

I think the latest update to greenlight for steam sums up steams attitude towards gamers the best (throw us your money but throw it at your own risk).
As long as this is acceptable behaviour nothing will change.

If they can do the things I like about Steam like automatic game patching and continue to do the things I dislike about Steam such as maintaining their DRM free stance, I would probably use their client.

I'm willing to give it a shot. Steam needs a good kick in the head. Not sure if GOG will be the one to do it, but it might be a step in the right direction.

GOG could compete on curatorship because Steam is terrible in that regard. Any old unoptimised crap can get on it and slapping Early Access on something will even allow quick cash-in turds to be allowed to be sold.

And from the start of Steam, if you made your crappy game in Source engine you were guaranteed to be able to sell on the Steam platform with absolutely no Quality Control.

Of course there is a risk GOG Galaxy turns into another Steam, letting every piece of crap in, but that would be GOG squandering a unique selling point.

You seem to have forgotten that Steam had the opposite problem for many years: It was incredibly hard for indies to get onto Steam. Of course for no obvious reason, especially not "quality". There was a door with a gatekeeper in front of it. And if he desided that Spiderweb RPGs looked like shit or obscure German adventure games with a review score average of 85% wouldn't sell, then 80% of the digital world market were simply closed for them.

It's much better as it is now. Steam could do some serious upgrading on there shop software though. It got stuck in a time with 10% the number of games.

Back
Top Bottom