Thief 4

RPGWatch

An RPGWatch Bot
Administrator
Thief is an upcoming action-adventure stealth video game developed by Eidos Montreal and published by Square Enix. It is a reboot of the Thief series of stealth video games

Players control Garrett, a master thief, as he intends to steal from the rich. Similar to previous games in the series, players must use stealth in order to overcome challenges, while violence is left as a minimally effective last resort. Gameplay is choice-driven, with players having a number of possible paths and approaches in a given level.Players may use the environment to their advantage, as well as pickpocket characters.As Garrett attempts to steal in levels, guards and other non-player characters (if they are aware of his presence) will try to flush him out and kill him. Different NPCs may use different means to find him, and the game's artificial intelligence will be aware of the level design, and therefore, know of potential hiding spots.

Players may enter a "Focus" mode, which provides several advantages.It enhances Garrett's vision, highlighting pipes that can be climbed, or candles that can be put out to make the area darker. Focus can also slow down time, so that Garrett is able to steal more effectively while pickpocketing. Garrett can use Focus to push enemies or perform debilitating attacks. Focus can be further upgraded over the course of the game. Garrett carries a blackjack, used to knock guards unconscious; a collapsible,compound bow, which can be used for both combat and non-lethal purposes such as distracting guards; and a claw, which can be used to grapple. Players may use money to purchase supplies and equipment at the end of mission

More information.

Brilliant! Read on.... This has all the hidden, gamer secrets I loved in the originals. This is such a modern/mature Thief. Yes is has a bug or 2 that will get fixed but the solid game play and very amazing graphics are what I was hoping for and that's exactly what I have gotten. If you are willing to be an adult and accept that there is more to offer games than an Assassins Creed rip-off that makes you fight 21 guards all at the same time (I like to call that BS) then Thief really is the game for you. Dishonoured was a short rip-off at any cost. My time is worth more and Thief can take it from me and I will be happy to have is taken. Enjoy, play it for yourself.

You would have been more convincing if you offered a more balanced opinion rather than a paean of a fanboy.

Have to say i actually found this to be better then i thought it would be.
Probably a result of the awful trailers setting my expectations so low but there was significantly less qtes and "cinematic moments" than i expected alltho they are there.
It is in no way a worthy thief successor but not a half bad game if you ignore the thief name.
There appears to no true z axis as you cant even jump unless bumping against a predetermined "jump point" and the game world is awfully cramped and relatively linear.
The end result is a city that feels more like a series of labyrinthine corridors then an actual city.
There is rarely more then 1 way to approach a problem and for the most part only the main missions offer more then 1 entry or exit path.
Still there is some fun to be had and if they had not decided to name it Thief i expect it would have gotten more favorable reviews.

I will probably get it at some point Biff. I'm just not in any particular hurry :)

Definition of fanboy = talk positively about a game that zahratustra knows nothing about except for what appears to be popular opinion ;)

If I didn't know better, I'd say zahra is very much an average human being when it comes to the foundation of his opinions ;)

But you know better don't you? ;)

And, BTW, in my definition a fanboy is somebody who expresses a blind admiration for something. Biff also talks positively about this game but without wetting himself over it.

Yeah, I get it. If something negative is said about that which you know nothing - you tend to believe it - because positive stuff can't be true ;)

I believed in what Biff have said about positives and negatives of the game. See the difference?

I believed in what Biff have said about positives and negatives of the game. See the difference?

Again, I get it. It takes something significantly negative before you believe something about that which you know nothing. Because when people focus on the positive, they can't possibly be right.

That's how you think - and that's fine.

To each his own ;)

Bullshit. I had enough info about Thief 4 to know that it will not be a legitimate child of the Thief franchise.

Uh… you can't even jump in this game?

You can….. at designated "jump points".

You can't make a classic jump, just a leap. And it doesn't have to be on anything predetermined - if you run and press space you'll leap over a distance or an obstacle anywhere.
Biff is probably talking about climbing on predetermined points. ;)

Just finished chapter 1 and all available sidequests in that chapter (including bank heist bonus mission).
Apart from unoptimized code that causes stutters (solvable currently by forcing the game into 32bit mode) I didn't see any bugs at all.
The game is fun, interesting and is hard to find any real complaint (so far). I can't understand the hate on steam past 4 days, then again, the hate came from ppl who had it unlocked earlier because of IMO scandalous decision from Square Enix to enforce region based dates of sales. Perhaps those people just wanted copypasted older Thief games? Honestly, after having so much fun with the "reboot", I'd be a bit disappointed if this game was just a clone.

New Thief won't be any fun to a bloodthirsty player who wants another shooter.
If you want to go rampage all over the place, if you don't care for exploration but just want to run through levels with nukes equipped or something similar, skip it and don't buy it even if it's on -99% sale.
But if you couldn't care less about killing people in a game and probably won't even bother to shoot everything that moves - only strategical targets that could earn you money and/or other benefits, buy this game now.

Last edited:
Can you go through chapters without killing anyone?

Put it another way, do you have the option of not killing (knocking or otherwise) NPCs?

Chapter 1 and all submissions in it you can solve without killing. Can't know for other chapters yet.
There are some so called challenges, sometimes for knockouts, sometimes will be for headshots, possibly some steam achievements too, but I didn't want to bother with that.
A nice option is shooting an arrow to cut a rope and then some boards drop on guards' heads. With that you can knockdown two of them in one move. Of course, this is not possible everywhere, just where boards are hanging.
Btw, you can instakill someone is you shoot him in the head - but careful, if you hit a helmet, no kill! :D

You can't make a classic jump, just a leap. And it doesn't have to be on anything predetermined - if you run and press space you'll leap over a distance or an obstacle anywhere.
Biff is probably talking about climbing on predetermined points.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No i actually ment jumping aswell as climbing :)
If you mean that sprint + spacebar move is not a leap asin a jump but rather a swoop or dodge-roll unless its off a ledge or other predetermined jump point in which case it becomes an actual leap.
It also wont work over any obstacles (unless scripted) since you never actually leave the ground.

Perhaps those people just wanted copypasted older Thief games? Honestly, after having so much fun with the "reboot", I'd be a bit disappointed if this game was just a clone.

Have you ever heard of a word "follow on" joxer? There are other possibilities than just a clone, a reboot or a copy-paste of an earlier game(s).
There are plenty of examples of follow on games which were as successful as their forerunners. There are plenty of examples of the follow on games which were even more successful than the earlier ones.

Bullshit. I had enough info about Thief 4 to know that it will not be a legitimate child of the Thief franchise.

How many times must I repeat that I understand the kind of foundation you have for your opinions. It was clear with ESO and it's clear with Thief.

Again, it's fine ;)

Can you go through chapters without killing anyone?

Put it another way, do you have the option of not killing (knocking or otherwise) NPCs?

Yup.

On Master - you're not allowed to harm NPCs at all.

Back
Top Bottom