RPG News - Gamasutra Storytelling Quantum Leap Awards

Also, I agree that Kotor deserves a lot more mention. It was the first game to make evil a truly viable and equal career path as good and then turn both into separate and equally satisfying endings. Whatever path you chose, it seemed like the game was made for it.

Really? It would seem Arcanum did exactly the same, and I'm sure it wasn't exactly a fresh idea back in 2001 either. Not to mention games like Fallout and Geneforge doing it much better, not just having a completely linear main quest branching into two equally linear and uninspired quest lines a few hours before the game ends. The infamous Biowarian evil paths, where evil means being a petty thug or worse, doing exactly the same damn things the pretentious paragons of virtue do except asking money for it, don't really seem appealing. More like shallow. But that's just me I guess.

Actually, why have a linear main quest at all? Is this much hand-holding really needed? How does teh storytelling(tm) justify the linearity when the writing remains as subpar as ever? Why do developers ignore the obvious strenghts of the medium, actually being able to affect the story and the gameworld in a meaningful way? Why does every game try to be an Uwe Boll movie?

Good to see Gabriel Knight make the list, that was an awesome game.

But ummm....Zelda 2?? :rolleyes:

Ultima V was released the same year and had waaaay better NPCs.

Back
Top Bottom