The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

stevie ray vaughan & dick dale - pipeline
Oh boy, oh boy, this for some reason reminded me of the soundtrack of Super Cars 2 for Amiga, and now I want to play it again and can't stop humming the melodies. Watch the first two minutes for the music (intro followed by title theme). This was particularly awesome because the disc loading sound seemed to coincide with the soundtrack's bass line, so it was like you had a cheap inbuilt sub-woofer. ;)

Last edited:
@Arhu: Super Cars 1 & 2 und Nitro are the type of top down 2d games i am missing today.

Just picked up Rudder's Matorning based on listening to The Jazz Session podcast this morning. Nice stuff - good funky jam band styled jazz. Both available on iTunes.

Some electronica pop for today. This is a one-man band, but he's got surprisingly good recording/mixing/production quality. It reminds me a fair bit of "Music for the Masses" era Depeche Mode, and only partially because of the vocals.

"Jennifer" by Alphanaut

'Shine A Light' by Spiritualized.

I just found this video, pretty nice especially from the midway point. The bandleader/songwriter is in a chair because of an accident, Lazer Guided Melodies is a pretty good record, IMO. Just get the 'indexed' version of the cd and not the one that comes in 4 'suites' in non-indexed format.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz2KRLBkymc

Last edited:
Electric Wizard - im totally hooked on their Dopethrone cd. They take stoner doom and throw in Cthulu, satan, misanthropia and all that to the point that I just cant not like it. I usually hate stoner doom because it's all bluesey good-timey rock and roll bullshit, which i'm not interested in. Not these guys, it's all good (er, bad?)

The audio quality isnt bad it's actually quite good, it's supposed to sound like that. It isnt their first cd before they got their bearings, it's supposed to be non-technical, primal, rough, ultra-distorted music. It's meant to be cranked way the hell up, it's not about technicality at all it's audio pummelation. One of their lovecraft songs, doesnt actuallys start til 1:20

Electric Wizard - Weird Tales part 1

From ancient Yuggoth, black rays emit
Evils narcotic cyclopean pits
In dark babelian towers await
Lie dreaming until the time will awake

What man has seen unknown Kadath
Whose dreamy angles, confused and trapped
Beyond the frozen waste you will find
Hyperborean continent entombed from time

Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Black chanting grows
From caverns below
Echo through time
Reveal the sign

Re-enjoying Pat Metheny Group's Offramp ... has it been nearly 30 years already? While 'Are you going with me' is the popular song, Baracole is always a fave for me ...

That album really changed the face of the guitar synthesizer ... from novelty to true voice.

Got a present for Sammy. Got mentioned in the "other genres" section of the gazer board, and the description screamed to be passed along. Who knows, might catch the ear of some of the others around here as well.

"We Hate You" by Electric Wizard
January of 2007. Oh yes, I am good. ;)

I broke down and did my first full-cd download from Amazon last night since it doesn't look like the band will ever put out actual cds. I had mentioned these guys a while back, and the full release does not disappoint. Can't do the link from work, but they're easy to search for at Amazon, plus they've got a MySpace page and their own website. So for me, New Ghosts.

Mujuice - Cool Cool Death (2007)
Pretty good russian electronica with a solid sense for melody and well managed sound layering.
Mertviy Malchik

Scott Walker - Tilt (1995)
Haunting, crooney and experimental!
Farmer in the City

Eh, just realized I´ve already posted Walker, so here´s one more :):
Michael Mayer - Immer (2002)
Well conceived minimal techno mix cd. Actually, it´s not really that minimal.
Carsten Jost

(Farmer stays cos it´s worthy of repost, ha)

Last edited:
@DeepO- that first one wasn't half bad. I wanted to like the second, but the vocals were just to dreadful to get past.

@Zakhary- not bad there, either. Hard to categorize that, though. How would you describe the genre?

allmusic.com said it better than i ever could

"Skyforger, it turns out, is a melodic death metal album that keeps the extreme elements to a bare minimum and is greatly influenced by progressive metal and power metal as well as folk metal. This late 2008/early 2009 recording isn't just slightly melodic — it is very melodic — and while Skyforger rocks aggressively much of the time, it is never flat-out vicious."

It's an Amorphis day here. I never really noticed them before. Didn't like the old stuff. And usually I'm not into Finnish metal bands at all. But the latest couple of albums by Amorphis are good. I'll post another song by them. This is from the album preceding the latest one... "Silent Waters".

The lyrics have a Kalevala theme here too.

It's about the mother of Lemminkäinen who is searching for the body of her son from the Tuoni river.

It's a bit slower very sad song. Excellent stuff.

I had to do it! Sorry :D This is a "currently listening thread" anyway. I promise I wont post anymore Amorphis.

Last edited:
@DeepO- that first one wasn't half bad. I wanted to like the second, but the vocals were just to dreadful to get past.

Haha, yeah, Scott Walker v2 is quite an idiosyncrasy.
The song I´ve posted is one of his most "melodic" later ones, btw.
Usually he´s more like this: Jesse
He was relatively big deal in 60´s and, among other things, rather significantly influenced Bowie¨s vocal style.
Scott Walker ´67
I find his developement through decades rather fascinating :).

Recently listening to Pharoah Sanders, especially Karma (1969) and Black Unity (1972). Both albums are basically 30 minutes long jams and work really great together. Former is great relax, the latter phenomenal asskickery.
Since there´s (understandably) nothing from these two on tube, I´m going to...

... jump on the Amorphis bandwagon and post three picks from my favourite of theirs, Elegy (1996), which, at least at the time of the release, was quite an unique blend of Doorsy prog rock, folk and melodic death metal.

Against Widows
My Kantele
Song of the Troubled One

The new vocalist does both the clean and harsh vocals so much better than those two guys combined ever could. And I prefer the way they write songs and lyrics on the newer stuff... much more mature.

I completely agree with you on the vocalist. I just think their best melodies are on Elegy, and partially on Thousand Lakes.

After these two, their albums had one or two very good songs and rest was pretty much uncreative filler.

That said, Skyforger rocks. I don´t like it as much as those two I mentined but I think it´s their best since.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom