Exp:Conq Expeditions: Conquistador - Interview @ RPG Codex

Expeditions: Conquistador

Dhruin

SasqWatch
RPG Codex chats with developer Logic Artists about their indie game Expeditions: Conquistador.
Can you explain combat in more detail? How does movement work, and does the terrain have any effect on it? How do barricades work? Does combat primarily consist of attacking and moving, or do you use special actions on each turn?
In combat, there are two things each character can do every turn: they can perform an action, and they can move a certain amount of spaces. The action can be an attack, it can be the use of an ability, or it can be converted into another move. Your movement and your action can be performed in any order, so you can move forward, shoot, and move back if you want (which is in fact a trick the AI uses a lot). Because you get to move all your people before you end your turn, it's fairly straight-forward to set up advanced maneuvres such as flanking or combination-attacks. The terrain has no effect on movement.
In addition to what your followers can do, you also get to bring up to 3 of your inventory items into a battle with you. Just like with character abilities, every one of the items you get are active rather than passive. Two examples of such items are barricades and traps, which you typically get to place before the battle begins. Of course this is only allowed if it makes sense in the context of the event that triggered the battle - if you're attacked in an ambush while travelling, the AI gets to take its turn first, and you will not be able to put down traps or barricades. There will be other items that aren't restricted to the first turn, however.
Don't forget to check out their Kickstarter ($33 / $70k, 18 days to go).
More information.

This one looks really good. I threw $30 into the pot.

This one looks really good. I threw $30 into the pot.

And you're a better man for it. I backed this one a while ago and ever since my wife.loves me again, my kids respect me, I got a raise at work and women throw themselves at me on the street..oh, and I pretty sure my teeth are whiter and I'm developing a six pack.

I'm very much routing for this Kick starter...

I've backed this at $30, it gives you access to the beta testing and Logic Artists have said they will give backers at this level the latest build as soon as the Kickstarter finishes, which is pretty fair! :D

Daniel.

Yes I would love to see a preview, I'm sure Logic Artists would happily share their latest build with you, they have already sent to to several websites with little success so far.

Conquistador is a project of passion - all of us at Logic Artists grew up playing the classic roleplaying games of the 90's, and above all we want to make a game that recaptures that style and feel.

I really want this game to succeed!

Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom