Divine Divinity - Now on Steam

It's a crime that this game is so underrated. This is an easy 10 out of 10, IMO.

it has a metascore of 81. the game is acknowledged classic, even with its stupid name.

--

y'now, when I first played Diablo 2 I said to myself, self, this game could be turned into a real good RPG if they just put some thought into it. Low and behold, Divine Divinity was made.

Funny thing is I never played it that much.

You know, I never understood the complaint about the first dungeon. I don't remember it being very big nor hard… Then again, I had recently finished Pools of Radiance 2: RoMD. ;)

True RPG fans have completed POR2 at least once. The rest are pretenders.

It was just the silly 'compatibility' mode … now it runs smoothly for me too … but I didn't realize you could change that as easily when running via Steam (the 'div.exe' is in the steamapps folder).

I just had thought the guys would 'preconfigure' the executables they distribute via Steam so that they 'generally' run on modern hardware … at least that's what would sound logic to me ; - )

Hi! Just what did you do to fix that? I tried simply changing the Compatibility mode for the div.exe executable to XP+SP2 on my Windows 7 64-bit OS, but the graphics did not change and are still exactly like your screenshots earlier.

Never mind my previous message.

Can't tell if all of it is needed, but I think I just had to turn the Smoothness off in the Configurator.

I turned all the things off there, and also set the compatibility mode of the div.exe file to XP+SP2.

Got it running with good graphics.

I have admit while I did complete the game I got bored of it before the end. Still for this price you can't really go wrong.

Daniel.

Yes, the end game got a little tedious for me as well and I lost interest at that point. The earlier part of the game was quite enjoyable though.

I turned all the things off there, and also set the compatibility mode of the div.exe file to XP+SP2.
Just like that (XP+SP2 compatibility) ... runs with smootheness turned on on my PC as well.

Does save bug still exist?

I bough this and it runs with no compatibility switch for me or special treatment under windows 7 64-bit.
BUT
I remember with Beyond Divinity there was some weird multicore save bug that screwed up all my saved games (I would lose items from my inventory) and hat happened late in the game so I stopped playing.
Should I enable the compatibility flag for XP+SP2 on the exe and will that stop this bug from happening (or does it not affect this earlier version of the game)?
ALSO
Do you need to patch the game and if so how does one patch it since its not in the usual location? The version numbers hows as v1.0061A.
EDIT: ok Larian forums suggest the steam version has been patched to work with Win 7 and should work as is. forum post
Just don'r want the game to bug out on me like BD (which soured the whole experience)

Last edited:
I played this around 5 years ago. This is one of those very very rare games that i've picked up witout knowing what to expect and i only let it go when i had to eat. Every part of it was engaging, a surprise, a smile in the face.

I was indeed adicted to it, trying to find a better piece of gear, exploring a new piece of the map, a new NPC.

Exploring was great. The map would reveal itself slowly and there was always something interesting around the corner, either an NPC, or a piece of history or a hidden secret or a new event. The story was good and the humor was fantastic.

Combat was not extremely satisfying but it was OK enough that it didnt bore me while i was geting towards the new bit of lore, story or new place.

All in all, a great game. Beats the hell out of games that had much much more sales in the industry and definately one of the most underrated games that i ever played in the last 10 years.

It's like playing a superb little secret that only you know about it, your own little piece of art.

Well said !

Back
Top Bottom