What are you reading?

My only disappointment so far w/ the Horus Heresy series is not so much that it's essentially the same story being told repeatedly from different angles. I'm fine w/ that, and I think that it's great how things that happened several books ago significant or otherwise are referenced now and the whole thing weaves together this ornate tapestry of a tale. It's a captivating story, and one of the only book series that i find hard to put down once I pick it up.

Unfortunately, my brief peeks into the future (10 novels forward) still dont portray THE pivotal event itself - that is the Emperor vs Horus cage match, happening anytime soon. I know that I'm being impatient, but come on! I'm dying to read about it already!

I'm reading a set of books by Sharon Shinn. They're basically light fantasies with a romance as the background of all the books. Nothing too spectacular, but fine for a summer's evening. You're not going to be thinking about these books much after you finish them. The magic users typically have one or two skills and they're being oppressed by a religious cult that abhors magic.

This would be a good series for a beginning reader of fantasy. They'd be fine for teen age audiences, especially females. There are no descriptive sex acts. Lots of political machinations.

First book-Mystic is a fire sorceress noble, with a commoner love interest.
2nd book-Mystic is a shape-changer who's attracted to a married noble.
3rd book-Royal Guard interested in a novice of the religious sect.
4th book-commoner mystic with empath powers romancing the heir to the throne.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I enjoy a little romance with my fantasy :) Not really into the kinky Terry Goodkind-type stuff though!

Just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, since everybody in the world 'cept me seems to have read it, and there's a game coming up based on it. Wasn't as impressed with it as some people, but it had its merits here and there.

I'll probably read Homonids by Robert Sawyer next.

Charles Stross's "The Atrocity Archives", mentioned higher up in the thread, sounds interesting. Will have a look into it. :)

You probably need to read the entire Ender series. Card is a bit preachy, but he does write some good stuff!!

My condolences; I find Weiss and Hickman almost unreadable!!

I actually enjoyed the original Chronicles and Legends series. This one is written with too much knowledge of whats coming, and far far too much blatant foreshadowing. I hated the retcon War of Souls. And I didn't like the Deathgate books, or anything else they've written together.

Travelling tomorrow due to a meeting in another city. Figured I could use some light-weight stuff that I'd be able to get through during a few flights (+ the mandatory waiting), so I decided to pick up Salvatore - The Ghost King, currently the final book of the Drizzt series.

Honestly, it sounds a bit over the top for me (especially the Ghost King entity, read a quick description of it), but the rest of the series is pretty decent - great for short reads where you want a beginning/end within a reasonable timeframe (i.e a brick of a book is too much).

If anyone is interested, I'll let you know what I think. I assume most here have either read it, or read enough Drizzt to realize they just don't like the series.

The Ghost King was good, one of the better in the Drizzt series. If you like the series, you'll like the book. Otherwise, you won't. It's that simple really.

Currently working on "Whitechapel Gods" by SM Peters. Steampunk stuff. Not really sucking me in as of the halfway point. We'll see if it gets better. Admittedly, I'm not all that into steampunk, but wanted to give it a swing.
Didn't really get better. Fans of steampunk might very well like like it a fair bit, but this book just wasn't for me.

You probably need to read the entire Ender series. Card is a bit preachy, but he does write some good stuff!!

Will do - I've tracked them down at my local library (safer than buying, if you're not sure) but that's for later, I have Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson and The Historian by Kostova lined up before that.
Oh, and Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson.

I cannot make up my mind if I like Salvatore, btw..

Mary Wollstonecraft, A Vindication of the Rights of Woman.

Just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, since everybody in the world 'cept me seems to have read it, and there's a game coming up based on it. Wasn't as impressed with it as some people, but it had its merits here and there.

If you didn't care for Ender's Game, I wouldn't bother with the rest. It's clearly the best of the series; Speaker for the Dead is still pretty good, but from there on out it goes downhill fast.

Half way through the latest from Feist, 'At the Gates of Darkness'. Enjoyable easy read in the same vein as most of his later efforts. Perhaps not quite as dark so far.

If you didn't care for Ender's Game, I wouldn't bother with the rest. It's clearly the best of the series; Speaker for the Dead is still pretty good, but from there on out it goes downhill fast.

Thanks for the warning. I did actually enjoy the tension and the parts that dealt with how Ender would manage to cope with what was being thrown his way, but i found the parts dealing with his brother and sister a bit silly and far-fetched.

Since I'm rather curious to see how the "speaker for the dead" aspect is handled, i'll borrow that one from the library. (At some unspecified time in the future) . :)

I finished "The Reader" by Bernhard Schlink, some time back, and just now saw the movie as well, and now I feel that some of the book was left out in the movie.

I reckon it's inevitable that parts of a book will be changed and/or left out in the movie based on it, so I was wondering if it would work out better if one saw a movie first and only afterwards read the book…?

I'm currently reading "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James.
I wanted to read it since a few years ago when I somehow got my hands on a version of it which was so badly translated that I couldn't stand reading more than a few pages.
So now thanks to Project Gutemberg (which made the 300 euros I spent for my e-reader totally worth it) I'm finally reading it in its original english... and, even though it's comparatively short, it gives me a bit of a hard time due to the author's somewhat complicated style. If nothing else it's certainly good language practice! :D

Back
Top Bottom