Obsidian Entertainment - MCA on RPGs

Dhruin

SasqWatch
This piece at Kotaku AU about Chris Avellone's presentation at a Melbourne gaming conference has the provocative title RPG Designer Hates RPGs but the hate is actually for the genre conventions as far as I can tell:
While at Black Isle Studios, Avellone worked on Fallout 3 on-and-off for about six years, before it was cancelled and Bethesda purchased the rights. His vision of Fallout was also built on this idea of hate, specifically that he was sick of tracking down and killing the big, evil, bad guy.
Avellone realised that in all RPGs, the most powerful bad-ass in the world wasn’t the “big bad”, but the player-character’s adventuring party. So Fallout 3 was designed around there being another party of adventurers out there in the world at the same time as you. Over the course of the game you will encounter this other party and experience how their actions have influenced the world. Along the way you’d have to decide whether to cooperate or work against them.
More information.

"So Fallout 3 was designed around there being another party of adventurers out there in the world at the same time as you. Over the course of the game you will encounter this other party and experience how their actions have influenced the world. Along the way you’d have to decide whether to cooperate or work against them."

Delightful. One of the best RPG concept I've heard in years. A shame Interplay pulled the plug :( I hope someone will use this idea eventually.

On the old Black Isle forum (that doesn't exit anymore) forber BIS CEO Feargie U. posted that Avellone has a scenario for at least 8 Fallout sequels.
Those scenarios could have been awsame as the article suggests, but I suupose we'll never know. I hate Interplay and their press BIS on Descent scheme.

Yes, yes! Feel the hate coursing through you! Give in to your anger, and your journey towards the Dark Side will be complete!
:cm:

Creativity through hate. It's intersting... and it sure does make sense!

And that F3 idea really sounds amazing.

"MCE"? Why not "MCA"? ;-)

Good grief...who knows? Some subconscious drama that I haven't kept my MSCE current? Not enough morning coffee? Sheer stupidity? Thanks for the correction.

Back
Top Bottom