Original Sin - Update #11, Kirill Interview, Character Stats and More

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
At $441K we get the next update for Divinity Original Sin. This time it features Swen interviewing Kirill Pokrovsky, who has been making music for all of the Divinity games. At the end of the interview Kirill has a surprise.
Then there is more information on character stats:
Sitting together and talking about all of our ideas, we learned where everyone was coming from. So, still on paper, the first stat system we came up with was called SPAM, which was an acronym for Strength, Presence, Accuracy and Mind. After trying it out (still not in game, we were actually building characters on paper, and rolling dice when fighting monsters, persuading characters, picking locks…), we noticed everyone was putting a lot of points in the Presence stat, because that stat was really carrying too much weight. And back to the drawing board we went. A couple of times.
Through trial and error, and discussion, we ended up with the following character stats, and we implemented them in such a way that it is easy to change the values, the rules and the formulas. We have already changed it often, and even added stats, simply by reading our forum (and other forums) and by playing the game.
We know there are nuts here (on Kickstarter, on internet, and at Larian Studios) that love stat discussions, so don’t hold back! (The names of these stats are programmer names, and may still change. Well, anything is open for discussion and balancing, really.)
Also take into account that skills play a big role as well. We’ll tell you more about those later. And hopefully we'll also make the 650K stretch goal, because then we'll be able to add talents and personal traits to the system, which will make it pretty cool.
The NPCs have the same stats and formulas as the player. One level makes a big difference: they have more hitpoints, do more damage, and are generally harder to hit. But it’s still doable if you know what you’re doing.
As the hero, you start the game with 5 points in every stat, and you get 5 statpoints for customizing your character. Per level-up, you currently get 1 statpoint. But 1 statpoint makes a difference.
Items that have an impact on stats, have their positive and negative effects, so there are trade-offs that help building a character. There are items that support different types of character builds. We'll talk about items in a future update.
Stats are also used for saving throws against different effects. For instance, a high dexterity lowers your chance of falling down when walking over ice, and strength gives you a saving throw against being caught in a wall of ice (you can break through).
Then there is info on the Fanday (9th of August). A Dragon Commander livestream at TwitchTV (which doesn't work to well on my PC, so I haven't watched it) and finally there is a video made by Gmboxru where Swen is talking about his most favourite games.

More information.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is completely out of characcter for Myrthos not to provide a link to the source. ;)

I'd rather that each level not make a big difference in hit points and damage. This just makes the lower levels more inconsequential faster. Imho, it's better to make the level diff be one of skill (in terms of abilities, chance to hit, dodge) than health and damage.

This is completely out of characcter for Myrthos not to provide a link to the source. ;)
Actually there is a nasty rumor that it occasionally happens. Not sure who spreads it around though.....
Luckily we have our resident cat who has some updating skills :)

Then there is info on the Fanday (9th of August). A Dragon Commander livestream at TwitchTV (which doesn't work to well on my PC, so I haven't watched it)

I think the first 9 minutes or so have a duplication echo problem, but it is OK after that. It's quite a detailed overview of Dragon Commander's gameplay, I thought.

I think I like this part most (bold printing by me):

(still not in game, we were actually building characters on paper, and rolling dice when fighting monsters, persuading characters, picking locks...)

Back
Top Bottom