Fable 3 - Not an RPG

No sh*t! :rolleyes:

Edit: So I guess there's no reason posting newsbits about it?

Molyneux = the Jean Luc Godard of games. Full of himself and his works are increasingly incomprehensible.

I think he's probably trying to preemptively undermine the criticisms of RPG fans who complained a lot about Fables I and II and are going to complain even more about Fable III's decreasing RPG-ness.

To me, it seems for each of his games - he's having a harder time saying something in public that will cause a stir.

That's been his MO for ages, and he's getting desperate - if you ask me. He's got little or nothing left but his particular brand of hype, because his games have never been less ambitious or interesting than they are today.

It's pretty sad that this "anti RPG" statement is what it has come to.

Am I the only one who remembers how Fable started? As Project Ego - which was supposed to be the perfect incarnation of… guess what…. an RPG. Molyneux went on and on about how no one else had done an RPG on that level.

Heh, that guy has lost whatever it was he had back in the day.

Knock me over with non-surprise.

Sounds like he needs that last 10% of the marketshare that is afraid of RPGs to help cover his development costs.

Despite the likely truth of this assertion and I appreciate this being acknowledged upfront, I am still eagerly anticipating the first 10.0 review which declares this the future of rpg gaming.

Adventures are actually quite liked/popular here in Germany.

If he markets it as an "adventure", then he might get additional adventure-games-friends as well.

The only problems that would arise would be if he didn't include any riddles … Because adventures have a long tradition to contain riddles. ;) What is an adventure without riddles anyway ? ;)

Am I the only one who remembers how Fable started? As Project Ego - which was supposed to be the perfect incarnation of… guess what…. an RPG. Molyneux went on and on about how no one else had done an RPG on that level.

Heh, that guy has lost whatever it was he had back in the day.

No, I remember that, too. It was supposed to be the greatest RPG ever.

Peter has always struck me as first and foremost a salesman, a pitch-man. And a pretty damn good one at that. Look how he got people to buy into the hype around Fable II, even after what happened with Fable I and even scolding himself in public for over-promising... he's a master salesman. I'm pretty sure that's why he's the guy in charge of the studio: charisma and the ability to make an idea sound grand.

Afaik, Fable I and II sold by the truckload. I don't see him changing directions or dialing back the sales talk any time soon.

He used to be better than that, when Bullfrog still exist. Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper... :(

I always wondered why both Fable I and II didn't quite do much for me. They had the trappings of an RPG but after about a dozen hours of play on each I just realized that I wasn't having fun. Now I know why, they weren't RPGs! Actually, in my view they were action-adventure-RPGs and I don't begrudge the developers the obvious success they've had with Fable II getting very good reviews and presumably very good sales, it's just not my cup of tea.

As for Fable III, I won't get fooled again, I'll skip it and probably anything else Peter creates.

when Bullfrog still exist

You have to admit that the gluttonous monster that is EA does at least have good taste in the studios it has devoured over the years.

You guys are looking at this the wrong way - finally a developer is willing to admit that the RPG label is not accurate. I find this refreshing. Half the "RPGs" I've played over the years were, in fact, action adventures.

He even used the correct term. I'm impressed. I wish people were this honest regarding Oblivion..

Today I saw a message at the dtp boards about Drakensang 2.

Someine callimg him- or herself an Adventure player, had become enthusiastic about Drakensang 2 after playing the demo.

However, he or she asked whether this game would be suitable for Adventure Gamers, too.

My reply was that Drakensang - and in principle ANY role-playing game - can be played as an pure Adventure game - with the fights and battles as "the lesser evil", so to say which one has to go through.

This is why I always want much, much, much more focus on social talents : Because with them, ANY role-playing game can imho played as a pure Adventure game.

Just imagine it : Leave all of the fights & battles out. Then it is nothing but an Adventure game.

Which would be just fine for Adventure gamers.

But on the other hand, nowadays role-playing games follow far too much the formula of "I fight, therefore i play a role". Which is utter nonsense in my eyes, but that's just how everyone believes the way it is.

I also suspect that Adventure games are not much liked at all, because they just don't have any "bragging value". You just can't show others screenshots of the almighty monster-slashing Über-Hero.

Adventures are - traditionally, at least - about nothing but riddles.

With exceptions like Beyond Good & Evil.

I'm pretty certain he is not desperate and just makes whatever he feels like. He had been in the business long enough to not care about opinions. He is probably only involved at a very high level anyway. Seems like he cared mostly about the dog in the last game.

Alrik: I agree that there is way to much fighting in rpg's. I wish there was more focus on quest solving, socials skills, exploring, story telling, etc. That way the fights would be more nerveracking and interesting. Escpecially if they are tactically challenging. A bit like in Fallout 1 when you really had to weigh if you were strong enough to take on those slavers at the level you were on for instance. Now a'days it's all scaled so that you wont get your ass handed to you. But in doing so you loose a lot of tension and excitment in the game experience.

Back
Top Bottom