Gothic 3 - Review @ Hooked Gamers

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Hooked Gamers has reviewed Gothic 3, awarding a score of 7/10. Citing poor performance in particular, the recommendation is to wait for a few patches. Here's the intro:
Before its European release last month, Gothic 3 was envisioned by many as the RPG that Oblivion should have been, the RPG that was touted as the last hope for hardcore RPG fans on the PC. Unfortunately, the crystal ball they used has several flaws, distorting reality. First and foremost, Oblivion was a fantastic game. Sure, it was hack-and-slash in some ways, but it was very much an RPG and a wonderful one at that. Another caveat is that there are once again enough RPGs coming out for PC, and the big RPG drought we starved through in the mid 90s does not seem to be repeating itself and there is no need for a 'last hope' kind of game. The last point where this vision clashes with reality has only become apparent since the release; Gothic 3 has got quite a few issues that keep it from reaching the same 'high' that Oblivion did earlier this year. Read on to find out what they are.
While comparing Gothic 3 to Oblivion is pretty much unavoidable, I will try not to do it too much. However, Gothic 3 is quite similar to Oblivion. Both have large, open worlds which the user can traverse and quest with almost complete freedom. The basic mechanics are pretty much the same as well so it is the storyline and the way that their worlds have been shaped and molded that sets the two games apart.
More information.

I agree with this review.
After 150 hours of playing and tweaking :) I am waiting for the next MAJOR patch. I want to enjoy the game and not laboring through it.

This is a nicely written review. The European release must have been bad, because really, I've experienced so few of the technical issues describeed in the demo. Then again, I probably haven't played or seen as much of the game as the reviewer... but I'm hoping that some of this stuff has been fixed in the demo... hopeing that is that I don't run into some of these problems...

I have the impression the reviewer didn´t understand the combat system and was too lazy to look inside the manual.

Another caveat is that there are once again enough RPGs coming out for PC, and the big RPG drought we starved through in the mid 90s does not seem to be repeating itself and there is no need for a 'last hope' kind of game.

Wait -- what? What the hell is this guy talking about? That's complete bullshit. The RPG drought of the past couple of years has been downright awful. As bad as the mid-90's, unless you count budget Diablo clones as RPG's.

I agree about technical performance though. Gothic 3 is horrible in that department.

Oblivion... blah blah....... Oblivion..... blah blah blah........ I'm not going to compare it to Oblivion...blah blah blah..... Oblivion......

So go play Oblivion Mr. Reviewer and STHU!

I havent read the review but did he say melee combat sucks? If so he doesnt need a manual to be right.

Back
Top Bottom