What games are you playing now?

Funny. When I heard SC2 was coming, I decided to do the same thing.
Yep, that was the plan: to replay SC before the sequel ships. :) It's been almost a year now, and I still can't finish BW.

txa1265 said:
Yeah, and Bethesda said Radiant AI would revolutionize gaming :D
*chokes on his tea*

In other news, I decided to try out BloodRayne 2 - it came with a gaming mag and has been collecting dust for a few months, until today. Hmmmmm. First impressions are... not that impressive, but I've only been playing it for a half an hour or so. I keep comparing it to the first game, thinking "yeah, but in BloodRayne 1 you could do this or that".

I really want to like this game. Let's see where this goes...

yeah the sc campaign is just easy to finish. why cant they release sc2 already!

Last spring I rushed through to finish WC3:TFT in a few weeks, because I was getting a new laptop.

What an amazingly feeling of relief and accomplishment to finish that PITA. ;) And yes very depressing. I like the orc bonus campaign at the end almost the most. It's funny that the orcs turned out to be about the most reasonable faction. All the rest were despicable from one angle or another.

I just don't get what makes memorizing all the keyboard shortcuts for each unit type and frantic mouseclicking a strategy game? It's tactical sure but strategy is a misnomer? It's more about speedy hand-eye coordination and keyboard memorization than anything else.

Last edited:
I just don't get what makes memorizing all the keyboard shortcuts for each unit type and frantic mouseclicking a strategy game? It's tactical sure but strategy is a misnomer? It's more about speedy hand-eye coordination and keyboard memorization than anything else.

There's no need to use keyboard shortcuts, or any advanced strategies for that matter, just to play the single-player campaigns.

Well I had to use SOME keyboard shortcuts (not nearly all of them) because a mouse was just not precise and fast enough.

Again, it's not strategy, but frantic eye-hand coordination

First time in awhile that a game managed to keep me up all night. I am now on Starcraft: Brood War Zerg chapter 8 out of 10. The latest maps have been very difficult and frustrating. There were many times I thought that I had lost, but I managed without replays. At one time I managed to waste all credits when I noted that the crystals had ran out. I had to use two overlords to carry workers back and forth from crystals on another island, while protecting them using only 6 severly damaged guardians.

It's 5am here now... chapter 8 and 9 took the entire day... plus the bonus mission you get for solving chapter 9 in 25 minutes... It took a lot of retries to get there, but the bonus mission was really fun. :) Only the final mission in the game left to do now, then I am prepared for Starcraft II.

on my second playthru of re4, luckily I saved all my save files from previous game and transferred them to laptop, so Ive got Ashley and Leon in their alternate outfits. I prefer ashley in the plaid skirt more, but Leon's RPD look is way cooler than the default.

At the farmhouse standoff stage, one of the most intense parts of the game!

Well, I installed Jedi Knight II to see if it is 'netbook friendly' and am still playing. This, of course, led to me installing Jedi Academy, and started that as well.

Playing Civilization Revolutions on both iPhone (released this week) and last year's DS version. Cool stuff.

Also just started Wolfenstein RPG on the iPhone.

Yep. My reaction exactly when I first saw the ads :D.

......Wolfenstein RPG?!

Yep - based on Wolf 3D but with a RPG system, levels, turn-based combat and so on. Seems pretty fun so far.

Attachments

• WolfRPG_08.jpg
    WolfRPG_08.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 49
I played DOOM RPG (mobile game) awhile ago... it was actually really good. It takes most graphics, themes and concepts from DOOM, monsters, story, items, weapons etc. It's just not a a shooter, instead you move like games like Eye of the Beholder/Dungeon Master/Lands of Lore, and you attack mostly by using the right weapon on the right situation. The shotgun is of course deadly at short range, the pistol or minigun is more accurate at long range. Keeping track of your ammunition so you won't waste it in the wrong situation is important, also every action updates the gameworld, so switching weapons at the wrong time might be bad even if you have the "wrong" weapon selected. It might actually be better to fire with a weak weapon twice, than using one action to change weapon to a better weapon. Finding new ammunition is important, and each area is filled with secret doors that can be found and often contain ammo.

It might sound terrible, but it's actually one of the best games available on mobile. I said the story is taken from DOOM, but it's naturally expanded quite a lot. Throughout the games you frequently check monitors, computers and talk with NPC's that help fleshing out the situation.

You can see the trailer here, be aware though that it's not very accurate. It's made to look like it's an action game by moving fast, but the real game isn't like that. Every action you take (switching weapons, moving, open doors etc) is turnbased.

Last edited:
Having finished Starcraft: Brood War I have been planning what to do next. I have about 15 days before school starts up again, and I want to use those days to finish off a few titles that have been collecting dust on my shelf.

GTA4 lost it's flavor to me, and I am not sure I will get back to it this summer. Maybe I will take a mission once in awhile during the next few months, but it's too long and too frustrating to play.

Instead I got back to Assassin's Creed. Wanting to do it properly I decided to take reinstall Windows Vista with intention to try to be exclusive to Vista until Windows 7. With Direct X 10 the game looks amazing, but while I find the story exciting, I find the gameplay frustrating. The game is supposed to have out-of-the-box support for XBox 360 controllers, but that's a lie. The game begins with a corrupt config and it's impossible to assign Right/Left Trigger to anything in the game. After a lot of hassle I gave up and configged the joypad differently than default 360 controls. Since your gamepad is associated with your profile you cannot select and start your profile with your gamepad, you have to select it with your keyboard, which is a hassle when you play on television and just want to lay back to play the game with your wireless gamepad. But that's not all, if you haven't enabled your gamepad before starting the game (so the wireless is powered down), AC will automatically disable gamepad support. If that happens you have to quit the game, restart the game, and enable gamepad again.

Once in the game the quests are sometimes annoying. I died five times when I had to pickpocket a guy as one of the first tutorial quests. Then when I finally reached the "free" mode in which you can explore the huge map, it turns out that any attempt to fast travel with a horse will make the guards hostile to you. Simply passing a mountainside (10% of the map) I managed to get the guards hostile 10 times and I even died twice. I know I can take things slow to avoid the fights, but that means I will spend several minutes extra doing nothing but walking/riding slowly.

I have a limited selection of other titles to play, but nothing really attracts me atm. I might have enough time to finish System Shock this summer. The Witcher and Drakensang are too long for me to play right now. I have the entire Hitman series, but found the first title to be a bit too outdated for me to enjoy. My Sam & Max season 1 have stopped to work, and I am seriously thinking about getting a pirate version of it despite being among the first who payed for the full season. I have already been in contact with Telltale twice to get the games working after reinstalling windows, but I do not think I want to do it a third time.

Still caught up in my replay of Heroes IV--found the Heroes III-IV complete pack with all the expansions, all patched and all XP/Vista compatible (not that I've had any trouble on my old XP machine.) Was glad to see they added the hex grid back in in Winds of War--it's just not turn based without a hex grid. Presently playing the campaign of the Witch King Spazz Maticus....:)

Hey mags, I just loaded Heroes IV up yesterday. Funny quinky dink.

One question, did you load each individual patch for the expansions as well?

Currently playing 3 different games. Knights of the Chalice, Drakensang and will be playing Heroes IV tomorrow. Me thinks my mind wanders too much, lol.

Back
Top Bottom