Gothic 3 - Community Patch v1.2 & JoWooD Statement

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The unofficial Gothic 3 community patch has been updated. V1.2 includes 48 bug fixes. A download link and English instructions can be found in the official forum . A full English release will be considered for v1.3 ...
... which will possibly be the first patch released by the community team officially supported by JoWooD. The Assistant Community Manager Glockenbeat published a lengthy statement clarifying JoWooD´s position regarding fan patches. An official English translation is not available. You can find the full German version in this forum thread .
Here´s a brief summary:

• JoWooD founds a team of community members to make fan patches.
  • It will be lead by ACM Glockenbeat.
  • The members have to sign an NDA. After that they will gain access to the Gothic 3 source code.
  • They won´t be put under pressure. All work they do is voluntary.
  • The project has a "not very small" budget.
  • At another place in the forum Community Manager Johann Ertl wrote that JoWooD will not take legal action against those who reverse engineer Gothic 3 to create bug fixes or mods.
Glockenbeat avoided to mention whether or not JoWooD will contract a professional development studio to work on an official patch and why the recruitment for the fixteam happened behind the back of the by far biggest Gothic community World of Gothic.
More information.

This did not happen behind the back of WoG. WoG community members (like NicoDE) were contacted just as well as JoWooD community members. It is true that the mod/admin team of WoG was not informed before the info about the community patch was leaked (by that Feuerbarde dude) but it could very well have happened that Glockenbeat would have informed them before going public on Monday (to clarify for those who don't know: That Feuerbarde dude leaked the info last Friday while Glockenbeat's original plan was to go public on Monday). But, seriously, why should the WoG admins be informed anyway? Are they some sort of super-authority on everything Gothic? I know that's what they would like to be but they aren't. They are just running a fansite and surely no one needs to ask for permission when sending PMs via their forums to recruit people for any other modding projects.

BTW, there's also a post from PB's Kai Rosenkranz in that thread where he welcomes the initiative on Glockenbeat's part.

Last edited:
No personal insults, Mo. There are certainly other ways to express that you don´t like him. Please edit your post.

But... but... but... it's a fact, not an insult :biggrin: .

No, it´s only a fact when a team member posts it! :greengrin::gorath:

OK. Cool. I have always loved it when people practice real democracy :biggrin: .

Yeah, that "all people are equal" thing rocks! :greengrin::cm:

Yep. It sure does. As long as you are a member of the MEC* :biggrin: .

* More Equal Club

"A full English release will be considered for v1.3 ..."

A full English version will merely be considered?!? What kind of crap is that? They'll be making a huge mistake if they don't do an English patch as well. There are a lot of English copies out there and if they don't get a patch there will be many more people who won't be purchasing Gothic 4.

v1.2 works with the English version. He said "perhaps" v1.3 will also be full English.

Ahh I see. So v1.2 should fix all those bugs just fine if I use it on my US version, it's just that the read-me file won't be in English correct?

Is that what the forum post behind the link says?

More and more, I'm glad I didn't buy Gothic 3. I did play the first Gothic and Gothic 2 and they were mostly enjoyable. Now that the 'community' is making patches that may or may not be usable by English versions, which seem to be considered mostly unworthy of consideration... well, I'm just glad I don't have to care.
My vote is.. make the game right, the first time, support it .. or stop making games!

A full English version will merely be considered?!? What kind of crap is that? They'll be making a huge mistake if they don't do an English patch as well.

Now you know how it feels if an US game is published in non-English speaking countries. :biggrin:

Gothic drama is never over :)

Some gamers (polish ones) had trouble with this patch.

That's enough to convince me not to touch it for a long while.

The g3.ini file will be replaced with a german one.
No thanks! :thumbsdown:

Don't have anything against germans though. ;)

How many US games can you name that were released as bug-ridden as Gothic 3 was?

Um, Ultima 9 comes to mind. Only game I've ever seen to be so mucked up that they sent out a replacement disk. I've still got mine. But my gaming days go back far enough that I remember a time when releasing ANY patch at all was a sign of shoddy development, now a patch is a badge of honor saying "we didn't abandon our customers". Meh to the whole thing. Suffice it to say my gut reaction to your questions was "all of them?". Over reaction, to be sure, but many many games today are bug-ridden. Gothic 3 may be an extreme example, but not an unusual one.

Back
Top Bottom