And another one bites the dust

Squeek

connoisseur of tidbits
There's another story on the wire about an on-line gamer biting the dust after binging for three days. Man, that strikes close to home. I know I've played for a ridiculous amount of time some weekends.

I always go sleep when I get tired... I value my life. Although I play 12 hours every day.

I have observed consistently though, that the guys that always die from exhaustion playing games are usually Chinese and Koreans. Why? I have no idea. Maybe they are able to be so fixated in the game better that they just ignore physical senses? Too much fish giving them more focus? Hell if I know, but I have yet to read about Americans doing that in the news... Why does it always happens to Chinese people?

I don't think that it happens less in the US or in other Western countries. In fact I'd bet real money that it happens A LOT more in our civilizations where we have a lot more obese people with an unhealthy lifestyle. The reason it may seem that this sort of stuff happens more in China or Korea might be because it happens more in public in those countries due to the fact that Internet cafes have developed into cultural establishments in those nations. People in those countries are often too poor to afford a PC or a net connection or have no ability to connect to the net from their PC at home due to a lack of net infrastructure.
If you or I collapse at our PC at home then your/my mom isn't going to call the press to tell them that we died from gaming (or at least I hope so :biggrin: ). Our deaths just wouldn't be witnessed and reported as the death of someone who dies in front of 100 other Internet cafe visitors. We die at home away from people. Koreans and Chinese die in public. That's the difference. And as I said I'm sure that the mortality in Western nations is higher.

Ohhhh... Well, I'm gonna make sure to sleep when I get tired. Even a 30 minute nap is better than a permanent nap ;)

That sounds like a plan :) . What I would also recommend to people (aside from a generally somewhat healthy lifestyle) is to drink a lot of water while you're playing games or surfing the net and to make sure you get up for a few minutes to walk around your room every hour or so to avoid the large arteria in your legs from getting compressed too much. If you sit on your ass too much there's a good chance that blood clots will eventually develop in the deep, large leg arteria. The arteria in your legs are big and the blood clots will usually not cause any local issues in your legs but the problems begin when (parts of) those blood clots break loose and make their way to the coronary arteria or other vital blood vessels. That's when you will suffer from a heart attack or an embolism that you may or may not survive depending on physical condition and/or luck of the draw.
So even if you (have) never have (had) any medical issues of any sort, you should make sure to get off that ass every once in a while because potentially lethal blood clots can develop in total obscurity with no warning signs whatsoever. If and when you realize that something is wrong it may be the last realization ever so be careful...

Ohhh, good to know. I think I am covered though because I walk on the treadmill every day, and I have a male room cat that wants in and out of the window ALL DAY (or night, depending on my schedule) almost every 20 to 30 minutes. So I am always getting up and letting him in and out the window, lol.

Often he wants in/out every 10 minutes... Drives me wacko.

Last edited:
You are a well-educated pet, Ammon. :gorath:

LOL, I know...

Maybe one should also consider the fact that the press in that country is hardly entirely free to say or do what it wants - or should I say they're motivated by things other than truth in some cases, and the government has a very clear policy on addictive gaming like that of an MMO.

The guy died in a public place where that kind of gaming goes on, so did he die of some natural cause related to poor health - which would have likely happened regardless of the activity, or did he die DIRECTLY due to playing an online game.

It's not really hard to put two and two together here, but naturally that's just the conspiracy-laden cynical bastard talking.

well, if youre going to go, it might as well be while doing something that youve devoted yourself to

He died like a sailor at sea. There should be a game award or something named in his honor

Back
Top Bottom