RPGWatch Feature: Might & Magic X Preview

Apologies if I'm being retarded, but how do you leave the town? I just get a conversation open up with the gate guard with no response options and can't push past him.

Klick into the gate - at a symbol that shows up when you move the mouse pointer over it.

PS:
if no symbol shows up, then there's a good chance your save game is corrupt.

Well, it confirms what I expected - that it's more a successor to 4-5 than 6-8. That's a real shame in my opinion, as I preferred 6-8 by a wide margin. MM7 is especially brilliant I really would've preferred if it was the basis of any new games in the series.

Ah well, I'll probably give it a go at some point.

Well, it confirms what I expected - that it's more a successor to 4-5 than 6-8. That's a real shame in my opinion, as I preferred 6-8 by a wide margin. MM7 is especially brilliant I really would've preferred if it was the basis of any new games in the series.

Ah well, I'll probably give it a go at some point.

I'm the opposite, to me M&M was gold in the 3-5 era, the 6-8 never did it for me (I still played them but didn't really like those games)

Apologies if I'm being retarded, but how do you leave the town? I just get a conversation open up with the gate guard with no response options and can't push past him.
If the guard is still standing in front of the gate, you still need to complete the quests from the captain in town. The guard will move aside when the game is ready to let you out. It's just a mechanism to keep you in the "low-bie area" until you stand a chance of surviving outdoors.

Although the review says everything needs to be said about the game I just want to share my thoughts.

I have spent approximately 15 hours with the early access and had a blast with it. From what I saw Limbic is true to its word and going to deliver us the old school experience we have craved for in a long time. I locked myself in the house in the weekend and can’t get out my chair until I finished the early demo.

I played the non-patched version. So there were some annoyances like time goes too fast, no restocking of potions, no healer, ceasing of combat. But all of the these problems have already been wiped out with the latest patch.

I played it on hard difficulty and very enjoyed with it. The game really challenges you in this mode like in the old games. So no walking in the park here. Also the fact that there’s no healer and restocking of potions in the vendors make the game more challenging and force you to drink your potions carefully. So micro managing is important here.

One of the main differences with the oldest M&Ms is the character progression in the game. It’s rather slow compare to older games. But I like it more, this system makes every monsters you killed, every quest you achieved count. I somewhat dislike the old M&M games’ level, HP inflation where at some point monster HPs and damage you dealt went to ridiculous levels.

This demo made me impatient for the releasing of final game. It seems I have to take a week off from my work in the early 2014.

A very informative preview. Thanks for writing it! :)

I let you guys do the betatesting though. I can't wait the full release :)

Okay… sorry for the writer as I didn't mean no offense but I stopped reading from there ! It'll be a big No, No for me.
No offense taken. A couple sentences past where you stopped reading:
I mention this so the folks that are militant about DRM can ignore the rest of the review. Those folks will be missing out on a potentially great game, but to each his own.
:D

No offense taken. A couple sentences past where you stopped reading: :D
I understand but as you said, the game requires a Steam install + Uplay activation and that's simply unacceptable to me ! That'll be the first time I won't buy a M&M game just because of it's DRM and that's sad indeed. but I won't condone such DRM absurdities either, so…

If only there're more old school games from big publishers like this. I'm ready to install 10 different malware (a.k.a. launchers) on my system to run them. :)

I sent an email to Ubisoft and can confirm that M&MX will in fact be saddled with the UPlay Malware. Which puts it right back off mt list. I'm not installing a backdoor into my computer (well no more than Microsoft already has in Win7).

I also asked if it will be sold legitimately, via non-virus retailers like GOG.com. The CSR couldn't give an answer.

Back on the boycott list you go Virussoft.

Don't like Uplay either but bought it anyways (I also applaud to what ubisoft is doing with other games recently).
However the big problem I have with Might and Magic is that it runs like crap. Every few seconds there is a hang of about half a second which I think is really annoying.
Also changing the graphics in the game from lowest (where it looks worse than the first 3D M&M) to highest does not make a big difference.
Of course it's just a beta, but at the current state it's not really enjoyable for me. Waiting for the next official patch for improvements...and the shaman. :)

Okay… sorry for the writer as I didn't mean no offense but I stopped reading from there ! It'll be a big No, No for me.

Sorry for being thick but what's Uplay and what's wrong with it?

Thanks, LS.

Thanks, LS.
UPlay is Ubisoft's version of digital rights management (DRM) that they use to combat piracy. Overall, it's a crappy program that leeches computer resources (CPU, memory, internet bandwidth) while you're trying to play your game. For folks that honestly pay money for their games, UPlay is utterly worthless and in fact a negative due to the resource leeching. Some people just take more offense to that backhanded insult than others.

Uplay is basically the devil. In this day and age when 99% of most PC games are available on Steam, there is absolutely NO reason whatsoever for yet another site/program to also be required. If there was only one computer game left in the universe, and Uplaywithyourself was required to use it, I'd stop gaming. Today.

Don't like Uplay either but bought it anyways (I also applaud to what ubisoft is doing with other games recently).
However the big problem I have with Might and Magic is that it runs like crap. Every few seconds there is a hang of about half a second which I think is really annoying.

Seems to be machine dependant. It does run well for me with hanging maybe once every 20 steps outdoors, never indoors.

Thanks, LS.

It's ubisoft's digital distribution/DRM model. To the average consumer it's simply another registration and a couple more clicks to play your game.

To the I hate everything DRM crowd it's the devil.

Personally it's annoying but not so much that I feel the need to complain about it every time they release a game or boycott every game they make.

I tried to play the latest Heroes of M&M but every time I lost internet connection, the game would fail losing all your progress, which is pretty silly for a single player offline game.

Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom