The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Something far from heavy metal and prog rock - yepp, I do listen to other stuff now and then:

Jan Hohansson: Visa från utanmyra

The swedish singer Monica Zetterlund has an excellent version of it, available on Spotify. Can't find it on youtube - there is video mentioning her, but I don't think she's the one singing.

p99678r7y2y.jpg

A pretty unique jazz, echoes of Ayler, Sanders, Coltrane, Roach, 2011 etc.
I Am

The Chemical Brothers - Hey boy, Hey Girl, from Surrender (1999)
On a similar note, Primal Scream - Swastika Eyes (Chemical Brothers Mix), from Xtrmntr (2000)

Party trackz! :).

Last edited:
Diary of a Madman
A rather mediocre album overall I think, but the title song is a gem. Ozzy and Rhoads at their best.

I've seen Ozzy live 3 times, but I'm not a huge fan of his solo work. His best years by far were when he was with Black Sabbath, imo.

Last time I saw him in concert was about 8 years ago. Poor guy could barely move on stage. He just sort of shuffles around now. One of my friends said he looked like Yoda up there. :D

Listening to a lot of an old doom band i just discovered called "Winter" - "Into Darkness"

They have a unique sound in that they downtune so far and at times play really slow and warped, and add in some nice keyboards… It's fuckin cool, I really like it. They really present a wall of sound, and have done a great job of blocking out this woman who babbles 100 mph on the phone in spanish one cubicle over. I almost strangled her a couple weeks ago, but Winter has done their job well and I can hear nary a thing when I plug them in. They may have actually saved her little latina life.

This is pure metal, I love it.

Winter - Goden

Into Darkness

Eternal Frost

His best years by far were when he was with Black Sabbath, imo.
Yeah, I think his first solo album is good, but still quite incomparable to what Sabbath have been putting out in the first half of 70´s, other than that there´s the song I posted above which however I think is a masterpiece.
If I was making a top 20 songs with Ozzy doing vox I think it would be the only one from his solo career I´d put in there, maybe along with Mr. Crowley.

Last time I saw him in concert was about 8 years ago. Poor guy could barely move on stage. He just sort of shuffles around now. One of my friends said he looked like Yoda up there. :D
That´s what his presence was like when I´ve seen him too (somewhere around the turn of century) :).

Speaking of concerts and Sabbath, I think I´ve already mentioned it here, but the bootleg of their Asbury, NJ - August 5, 1975 show is great.
Very good tracklist, great performance and superb sound for a bootleg.
Hole in the Sky
Highly recommended :).

You all have great taste in music! I think I'll get along fine here.

I was just listening to Hawkwind's "Brainstorm"…

Then got sidetracked checking out that Kauan which DeepO posted. This is some great stuff! I wonder if they are inspired by the Finnish band Tenhi who had an album named "Kauan"? I can see some relation in their sounds. I'm a big fan of Tenhi.

Oh and good choice with Winter, xSamhainx. They are truly excellent doom metal!

Yeah, im really into doom, its by far my favorite flavor of metal. Ive burned thru most of whats available. Let me know if you have any lesser known referrals!

Thats how i found the excellent Abysmal Grief, Winter, and Rote Mare, thru the recommendations of other fellow "Doomed"

Nice, Abysmal Grief now has an official vid for Crypt of Horror

BTW - netbook is best purchase ever. Sitting here on couch drinking beer w/ my schnauzer in comfort. It truly is a "lap-top" unit, unlike other supposed laptops Ive had. Battery lasts forever, generates zero heat, great for Linux Mint, etc

Last edited:
I'm listening to W.A.S.P not singing campy songs about sex. It's a bit strange, I never thought they had it in them to sound like this. That was the opening track for the concept album The Crimson Idol, an album that once again prove that as long as you sing from your heart you can get anything to work. Even hair metal.

Übereil

Legendary Pink Dots - "Hallway" just came up randomly on my Spotify. Wow - what an incredible atmosphere this song has! Very otherworldly, 12+ minutes long and worth every bit. I've explored LPD quite a bit in the past but don't remember hearing this one before.

Yeah, im really into doom, its by far my favorite flavor of metal. Ive burned thru most of whats available. Let me know if you have any lesser known referrals!

Thats how i found the excellent Abysmal Grief, Winter, and Rote Mare, thru the recommendations of other fellow "Doomed"

Nice, Abysmal Grief now has an official vid for Crypt of Horror
I'm no expert on doom but I do enjoy it quite a bit. My favorite is probably My Dying Bride, especially their earlier stuff like the Turn Loose the Swans album. They have a lot of gothic elements as well - so not pure doom I suppose. You might already know them as they're pretty well known in the doom genre.

For Funeral Doom - Skepticism and Shape of Despair are amazing. I'll try to think of some other suggestions…

Abysmal Grief sounds great! I haven't heard them before. Will check out Rote Mare as well.

for not being an "expert", youve made some quite informed choices w/ Shape of Despair and Skepticism. I see great things ahead for you, for you are wise beyond your years young Padawan ='.'=

for not being an "expert", youve made some quite informed choices w/ Shape of Despair and Skepticism. I see great things ahead for you, for you are wise beyond your years young Padawan ='.'=
Hehe… well, I went through a bit of heavy doom phase a few years back so discovered a few good things. But I didn't dig deep enough - I'm sure there are a lot of good doom bands I don't know.

Hmm how about some Cthulhu / Lovecraftian themed funeral doom:

Tyranny - Tides of Awakening
and
Catacombs - In the Depths of R'lyeh

Velocity Girl - Nothing
Excellent choice. It's interesting to hear Sarah's solo work. Nothing like Velocity Girl (reminds me of Sinatra-era show tunes, actually), but skillfully done.

Mike Oldfield on the Montreux Jazz Festival of 1982 - from the DVD.

If anyone is interested in early versions and in variations of his album "QE2", then I can recommend this DVD.

Rote Mare - "In Ruins"

This is my favorite cd right now. Kind of a cross between early Christian Death and Black Sabbath. They get a little political at times, and I normallly hate political music, but thankfully here it's just the usual "ranting at the church" theme which isnt as bad as anti-war and what have you.

I like it, nice dreary doom w/ even drearier vocals that picks up the pace here and there, but always comes back to a nice, sludgy crawl. Thankfully, the intro is a full fledged song as well, I'm getting so tired of bands wasting the first track on some nonsense instrumental or something that you only listen to the first couple times you run the cd.

Last edited:
I like it, nice dreary doom w/ even drearier vocals that picks up the pace here and there, but always comes back to a nice, sludgy crawl. Thankfully, the intro is a full fledged song as well, I'm getting so tired of bands wasting the first track on some nonsense instrumental or something that you only listen to the first couple times you run the cd.

Good stuff… That intro actually reminds me of early Metallica.. like Ride the Lightning/Master of Puppets era. You know...when they were good.

Back
Top Bottom